Mare of a weekend with humidity!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:47:57  Show Profile
Hi Guys, Your thoughts welcome here...AGAIN.

So the rub has been fine. Sitting at 31 hot end and 24 cold end continuously!

Then the royal had an almighty p***. So i figured time for a clean out.

Cleaned out all the reptibark and replaced with new. Put it all back how it was and then watched the humidity go up to 88% with it maxing out at 90% while i was sleeping.

So I woke up added another 100 more holes in the hot end, and again the humidity was stupid high sitting low 80's.
It was so humid that Indys hide had condensation inside on the top!

So at the risk of getting an RI, i removed the reptibark and replaced it with newspaper. which is now sitting at 48% humdity. Which i feel is safer than 90%!

I figure the humidity in the bark is the cause. Before i left it out to settle and dry, this time it was right out the bag.

I prefer the bark as it looks better, so i guess ill just have to bake it longer to dry it out? Or am i missing something. I dont want to bake to long as it will make my house smell bad!

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  13:20:58  Show Profile
I think baking or just letting to dry is your only options, also, you want to be baking it anyway to kill off any mites or anything that might be living in it.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:11:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yep, just bake it for longer to drive off the moisture.

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:20:38  Show Profile
Ok. Will do that then. Its one extreme to another with humidity! Either below 50 or above 60! doh
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  19:28:16  Show Profile
i had the same problem with my girl. in the RUB i just keep her on newspaper because of the high humidity issue. can always tell wen she has wee'd cos the humidity goes way up.

although most off the time its solid urate balls i have found quite a big puddle before that even the newspaper.

I started using the bark with another one of my royals in a viv cos i like the way it looks and had problems with it. drying it out after freezing it, baking it, which is quite smelly and the high humidity it caused for me.

i now use aspen. soooo much easier...

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:34:54  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
100-120*C for 30-60 mins should dry it out. i have the same problem with orchid bark raising the humidity too much

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  06:33:12  Show Profile
I wish I had this problem! I'm always trying to find ways to raise my humidity - if left alone it stays at 10%!

Anyway, Aspen doesn't maintain humidity too well, so if you use that instead of the bark, it should lower your humidity. Also, you can provide ventilation in the room - like a fan - just make sure there's no draft going inside the viv. But, if there is a way you can put a ceramic heat lamp over the viv, that thing zaps humidity in a snap!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: