Heating Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:28:48  Show Profile
We've got a (just over) 3 foot viv set up for a Royal we're meant to be getting on Thurs. We were meant to get him tonight but we've been having no end of trouble getting the viv to the right temperature.

We had a 100w heat bulb on a dimmer stat yesterday and were struggling to get it above 65F. Today we got a 150w heat bulb (red Exo Terra Heat Glo) and it has been on for over two hours and it's still only 72f. Bear in mind it was very very cold in here when we switched it on, but I'm getting frustrated with how long it's taking to heat up. How long does it usually take? Should we just stick with it and wait for it to get up to temperature? I'm really frustrated as this is the third bulb we've had. Grrr. Help please!

(oh and no there is no heatmat, but after the thread I started on here last week, the majority of you said not to bother).

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:35:29  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
where are you taking the temperature at the hot end and what with? dial thermometers can be notoriously inaccurate, and don't rely on the temperature you set the stat to, always check it manually.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Perky
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:39:39  Show Profile
The digital thermometer probe is on the hide underneath the bulb.

The bulb isn't all red, the bottom bit that is pointing downwards is clear and the bit of the bulb towards where it is screwed in is red. Have we been conned? It does say Exo Terra on it, but someone told me Exo Terra bulbs are all red.....
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:43:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
My Exo Terra Infrared bulbs are all red and I use 75W ones which heat my 3' vivs easily.

Like this: http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1876&ProductGroupID=945

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:46:02  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
digi thermometer should be accurate enough

i'm not sure about E-T heat glo bulbs, i have a ceramic and mats for the rest. how long are you leaving it to get up to temp and are you keeping the viv doors shut?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos

Edited by - Gingerpony on 09/02/2009 22:46:42
Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  23:22:48  Show Profile
Hi Perky,
I have a 40 watt reflector bulb conected to my stat and it heats the `hot end` with no problems. However, my viv is only 2 foot for a young Royal.
My stat probe is about one third along from the hot end on the rear side of the viv.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000