Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

becky2009
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  22:49:23  Show Profile
Our Royal Python has gone 11 days without food since he shed, he is usually a good feeder. How long should I wait before seeking veterinary advice?

He usually to eat 2 mice or 2 small rats every week, and has done since we got him in November.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
I'm new to snakes & haven't gone through my 1st shed, they can go months without food & still be ok as long as they're not losing much weight, try your best not to worry. I'd suggest weighing him once a week & take it from there. There are lots of tips on here about "super heating" the head, braining etc GOOD LUCK

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish

Edited by - Dazzetski on 11/02/2009 22:55:09
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  23:06:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How old is he, how much does he weigh?

They are well designed to go for long periods without food.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it might sound silly but have you had your central heating turned down or on timed instead of constant? i notice a change in feeding patterns when the ambient temperature drops, although this should be less of an issue if you're using a ceramic to heat the viv.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:00:43  Show Profile
Hi GP,quite new to this and just wondered how a ceramic makes a difference.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:48:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A heat bulb heats the air and ambient temperature, whereas a heatmat just heats the area it is in contact with. So if the room is cold the viv will be cold with a heatmat.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  05:30:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin S

Hi GP,quite new to this and just wondered how a ceramic makes a difference.

Hi Colin,

As BE said they heat the air, i like them because the heat feels better, and i dont ever have to worry about belly burns when my snake is bigger and heavier.

HI Becky, just a thought, but as happened to someone else on here, are his eye caps clear since your snake shed?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:32:20  Show Profile
Thanks Wolf,
I think that is something I should think about. The last thing I would want is for Grace to burn her belly.

Go to Top of Page

becky2009
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  22:45:29  Show Profile
Hi again,

Just popped him in the scales he weights 2lbs. Not to sure how old he is as he is a rescue.

Gingerpony, we dont have central heating, only a gas fire. Not yet using a ceramic. Will look at getting one this weekend. Currently using a heat lamp.

His eyes are nice and clear. Will continue to weigh him and be patient trying to get him to feed.

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  08:28:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ok then Becky, you have an adult male who is probably ready to breed and looking for a partner, it is very common at this time of year for them to go off their food.

Just monitor the weight, if there's anything wrong with him the weight will drop off, if its just a natural fast then he will stay fairly constant.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  20:33:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

A heat bulb heats the air and raises the ambient temperature, whereas a heatmat just heats the area it is in contact with. So if the room is cold the viv will be cold with a heatmat.

thanks hun you beat me to it

quote:
Originally posted by becky2009

we dont have central heating, only a gas fire.

he could well be cold then

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

becky2009
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  22:02:39  Show Profile
Well still not eating but so far is pretty much holding his weight. I wondered about trying him on something small, rather than a nice big fat mouse or rat for his first meal, after his going without for so long.

We have tried Braining apart from turning our stomachs he did not seem at all interested.

I thought a nice pinky might entice him ? what are your thoughts, or am I just babying him. !
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  05:58:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He probably wouldn't even recognise a pinky as food, have you tried chicks or gerbils?

Go to Top of Page

becky2009
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  21:41:32  Show Profile
I will have to speak to our local supplier and see if he can come up with anything for me.

We tried him tonight with some fuzzies but nothing. My husband is starting to think he has done something wrong. Cannot convence him that he may not be hungrey especially as he was such a good eater to start with.

But when the pet shop took him in from the original owner, he said the owner had said that he was a fussy feeder. But he was convinced that it was the owner not the snake. If I am lucky he will take him back in for a while. I will ask him, and see what he says about that.

Dont want to call it a day, as my husband wanted a snake for years. I am willing to try anything.
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  06:26:18  Show Profile
11 days... that's nothing, hun. If it makes you feel better, I know of this very experienced royal keeper whose royal did not eat for ONE YEAR AND 6 MONTHS and was still healthy as can be.

Just monitor the weight weekly, offer food weekly. Make sure the husbandry is spot on (the ambient heat needs to be around 80F and the warm side needs to be around 90F - a UTH will not cause belly burns if kept at 90-95F using a thermostat), and just relax.

Sorry for the Fahrenheits... too lazy to convert.

And yeah, I FINALLY GOT A THERMOSTAT! YIPPPEEE!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  06:49:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Don't give up Becky, what's it been, 3 or 4 weeks?

I had a hatchling go 6 weeks with no loss in weight or health problems at all, let alone an adult male. Fasting is perfectly natural for them, its not necessarily something you've done wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:34:27  Show Profile
I seem to be having the same problem with Grace since she shed.
She is still very active though and does not seem to be in any ill health. She is just watching her weight I think :-)
In fact it is 11 days today since she shed and It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that she has not eaten.
Just keeping an eye on her weight etc and the temps.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:59:16  Show Profile
maybe you need to make the head of her food really really warm...

she is probably fine, but are her eyes clear?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:21:08  Show Profile
Hi Wolf, her eyes are nice and clear, like black diamonds :-)
I have been heating her food as normal, so will try again in a few days.
I don't think they realize what they put us through.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:24:30  Show Profile
Im upto 9 weeks...

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  17:22:47  Show Profile
Daz, has yours lost much weight during that time ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000