Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  07:00:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message

Overnight I seem to have lost an Excel file on my computer. It is still listed in my recent documents, but when I click on it, it says 'This shortcut refers to a link that has been changed or moved' (or something along those lines).

Its not in my documents anymore and its not in the recycle bin, other stuff is in there that I deleted ages ago and I only used this missing file yesterday or maybe Tuesday.

I have tried a search for the filename, but it's not coming back.

Any ideas or help would be most appreciated, it was quite an important file to me,

thanks.

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  07:08:31  Show Profile
the only thing i know how to do is a system restore as this undoes any recent changes to your pc, but i am not sure on files..is it possible you renamed it or saved it to another folder?

you could also go into your history folder on your pc and see if a copy of it is there..

There is a new search program on Microsoft that i was offered as a download when i got IE8 but i cant remember what it is called, i will have a look later, not sure it will help, but i know it is a right pain when stuff like this happens

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  07:25:18  Show Profile
the programme is called WS4 and it does a bit more than the standard search program on your pc, dont know if it will help but here is the link just in case you want it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55c18cb3-c916-4298-aba3-5b98904f7cda

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  08:30:11  Show Profile
Hi Blackecho.

Sadly Wolfspirit's right, system restore only works on system files it won't bring back deleted documents. If you've tried a search for the filename and nothing's come back your best bet would probably be to try searching either for all *.xls files or files around the same size in case you've accidentally renamed it.

If you've accidentally deleted it you may be able to recover it using a recovery tool like this one: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html as files aren't actually deleted, the portion of disk they're on is marked as being available for use and they stay put until the OS decides to use that portion of disk. The more you use your PC since the file was deleted the less the chance of recovery. I've not tried the software in the link myself, I use Winternals ERD Commander which is commercial.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, I don't suppose you had a backup?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:19:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thanks you two. I would not have re-named it, it was called 'Snakes', as it had all my hatch-dates/feeding/shedding records for all my snakes.

Not a stupid question, but a stupid user as no I didn't make a backup, well gutted.

I think my computer rebooted last night (its a lap-top and I never actually turn it off, just close it to hibernate) as when I opened it this morning it had obviously restarted. I think my anti-virus runs in the middle of the night, is it possibly something to do with that?

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:42:53  Show Profile
It shouldn't be. If it's a file you've had for a while it's fairly unlikely that it's suddenly become infected which is usually the only reason why AV software would remove / quarantine it. I'd definitely have a look through your AV log though just in case.

I know it's too late to tell you this now, but I work on the principle of never having only one copy of anything important. Probably the easiest way would be to buy a USB stick and just copy your important stuff onto that every week or so.

Did you search specifically for "snakes.xls" or use a wildcard like "sna*.*"? Forgive me if you know this already, but the latter will find all files starting with "sna". Might be worth a shot.

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:23:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Chris, I'm at work at the moment and will try that when I get home. I have hundreds of USB sticks and all my work stuff is backed up, just not done the home stuff.

AV log? - where would I find that?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:27:52  Show Profile
BE, if you go to this link you can firstly try this, you dont have to, but if the file has got lost it will find it

http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/?ref=google_fr&gclid=CLX54tCJ-pgCFQFhQgoduzTAmA

The bad news is that the file may have got corrupted and that is why you cant find it...

As Chris said, i would do another search and just enter either sna*

or xls* or even better, type in a search for something that you know is in that folder, it might bring it up that way..

good luck, i know these thinsg can be a right pain..its awful...

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 26/02/2009 11:29:51
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  12:24:29  Show Profile
BE, it depends on what antivirus software you're using, but if you look through the menu options there should be a log file somewhere. There should also be a quarantine area (sometimes called virus vault or similar) where infected items are moved to and it'd be worth looking in there too.

As I said though, I'd be surprised if it was your AV software. I'll be offline now until tomorrow let us know how you get on.

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  13:49:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Thanks Chris, I'm at work at the moment and will try that when I get home. I have hundreds of USB sticks and all my work stuff is backed up, just not done the home stuff.

AV log? - where would I find that?

what av are you using BE? you will probably need to go into the folder on C drive where the av is kept, but it is also worth checking in windows on your C drive whilst there to see if you can see your file.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  15:57:15  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
i would try to search all documents ont your computer that have been modified since a certain date by using advanced search. and then see if it has been saved under a different program

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:19:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Nothing in the AV (McAffee) log, trying File Recovery now.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  18:40:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

the programme is called WS4 and it does a bit more than the standard search program on your pc, dont know if it will help but here is the link just in case you want it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55c18cb3-c916-4298-aba3-5b98904f7cda

Ouch £30.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Tried a system restore to a couple of weeks back, but didn't get the file back

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  20:10:05  Show Profile

[/quote]

Ouch £30.
[/quote]

forget the thirty quid, have you tried a search for something unique that you knew was in that folder? just add one of these * after the word and it should bring up any close matches and then you might find it.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  20:10:45  Show Profile
WS4 is free, you should not be charged £30 for it, i downloaded it for nothing.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  20:16:25  Show Profile
i lost alot of photos a few weeks ago after a factory system restore and used 'pandora recovery' to try and get them back. its free and definately worth ago...helped me out.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  06:14:23  Show Profile
BE did you find the file?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  07:17:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

WS4 is free, you should not be charged £30 for it, i downloaded it for nothing.

I downloaded it for nothing but when I tried to restore a couple of spreadsheets it told me that I had to be registered and that cost £30.

Daz, I'll try Pandora, is it googlable?

cheers.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  14:01:08  Show Profile
think so...got it from download.com if i remember rightly... someone recommended it.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:30:19  Show Profile
you know, you may have lost that file with a system restore, not sure,

Have you had any luck in finding it? did you check in your quarantine section of your AV?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000