Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ryan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:26:41  Show Profile  Click to see ryan's MSN Messenger address
i got a python last week and the women in the pet store told me to just feed it in its cage but i have read on some webpages that they should be put in anouther container so the snake doesn't asociate my hand going in the cage to feed him.
can any body help thankyou

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:37:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Some people do, some people don't.

If you feed in the viv, depending on the substrate you use and how the snake eats, you could risk harm by impaction if the snake accidentally ingests the substrate.

All my snakes are fed in their vivs.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:40:29  Show Profile
I'm by far no expert but...i feed mine in the viv but put a square of lino on the aspen to stop the snake ingesting it. if you've got loose substrate you should put something on it like paper or lino and feed it on that. Some people do feed them outside the cage but i figure it can be hard enough getting them to feed as it is without making it more stressful. If you regularly handle the snake and make sure your hand doesn't smell of food then there shouldn't be a problem.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 05/03/2009 18:42:21
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:41:58  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I feed both of mine in their vivs. I think the main concern that most people have is that of impaction if the rep swallows some of their substrate. I use aspen and with the size/ages of my snakes they should be able to pass it if they ingest any. Getting tagged is just all part of the fun of keeping snakes. As long as you have the correct substrate in the viv/RUB you should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

ryan
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see ryan's MSN Messenger address
thanks alot for the answers. i was wondering aswel. my girlfreind has a corn snak and she puts it in the bath for a poo should i do this with my python. thankyou
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  20:31:03  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i feed the royal and the boa in their vivs. they're often more settled in their own 'home' so you get a better feeding response. my corns are all fed out of the viv as they're not bothered about where that are as long as there's FOOD! feeding out of the viv can avoid confusion between hand and food (from the snake's point of view) so you're less likely to get tagged accidentally

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:27:42  Show Profile
I'm a complete novice here, but I've been feeding Princess in her viv. I doubt that she associates my hand with food as I handle her food with tongs which I then use to offer it to her. I don't think she's smart enough to make the connection between mouse and hand via a long piece of metal. So far she's been happily strike feeding, but if I ever need to leave her food for her overnight I'll put in on something.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  13:23:05  Show Profile
I feed mine in a separate plastic tub; sometimes I have to make the food 'dance', sometimes I just put a screwdriver through the brain......as soon as he smells that brain, he's bang on it. I dont really want him associating me putting my hand in his viv, with being fed as that for me just increases my chances of getting snakebit!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  16:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I feed all of mine outside the viv except the royal- just because she won't eat any other way. She's a pain in that way. It's much better for photos opportunities if they eat in their special feeding cat little tray.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  18:16:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by osouthlondon

I feed mine in a separate plastic tub; sometimes I have to make the food 'dance', sometimes I just put a screwdriver through the brain......as soon as he smells that brain, he's bang on it. I dont really want him associating me putting my hand in his viv, with being fed as that for me just increases my chances of getting snakebit!!

I would say you're far more likely to be bitten transferring a snake in feed-mode to and from a feeding tub than it associating a pair of metal feeding tongs with you hands when you want to take him out?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  08:32:48  Show Profile
What I usually do is transfer the snake to his little feeding tub before I have even looked at the food. Then I prepare the food in a separate room and brain it with a scrwedriver (I find this works better than splitting the head as it translates to less mess and gives me the oppurtunity to squeeze the head like a tube of toothpaste which brings more brain into a concentrated area (I'm hoping ths means stronger smell)), I have tried him with a normal rat pup with no damage, and then a brained rat pup and the difference is as clear as day. He goes mental over the brained rat!! For puuting him back in his viv I hook him. He's never given any indication that he wanted to bite after a feed, but better safe than sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:45:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would also worry about the hooking/moving after a feed causing regurgitation, anyways, just my views.

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:01:36  Show Profile
That's a good point. Maybe I should just let him sleep in his feeding tub for 2 days after a feed. It is big enough for a hide and water bowl so he will be comfortable. He doesn't seem intimidated, rather excietd by new environments so maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:26:50  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
That would be like changing homes twice aweek and would probably cause him stress.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:31:39  Show Profile
How about if I was to leave him in th feeding tub (which is see-through) and put the tub back in the viv without the lid on? He could make his own way out then.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:34:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That sounds a good solution.

I know a lot of people that do as you do, I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong at all

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  12:49:25  Show Profile
Yeah I know that. But i'm not above learning a thing or two where I can :-) I always listen to what advice people have to give so that I can make my animals experience that much better.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by osouthlondon

How about if I was to leave him in th feeding tub (which is see-through) and put the tub back in the viv without the lid on? He could make his own way out then.

thats your best bet,i just tip the tub a bit and he makes his own way in.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:14:49  Show Profile
Yeah I did use to do that but wasn't sure whether it would upset him (I know if my house tilted sideways suddenly and slid me out of the door, I would be mighty scared!!).
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  22:35:16  Show Profile
We always feed in a tub outside the viv, and gently guide him back into the cage when he has finished eating.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:05:38  Show Profile
I fed him on Tuesday and then did the tub to viv trick and he was fine. I do have one question though: Is he supposed to be almost hyper-active after a feed? Or does that mean I need to feed him more?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000