Baking substrate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  13:45:42  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
Hi all, i use orchid bark for montiiee, now the question is " how long should it be baked in the oven for and at what temperature "? so as to make sure there are no mites sneaking into my setup via this route.
I say this as when i purchased montiiee, i was unaware that he had mites but noticed them a week later when i handled him after the settling in period.
I transferred him into a faunarium so as to get rid of the horrid little critters and i haven't spotted anything on him for the last 3 weeks, .
I am bleaching and spraying his viv weekly while he remains in the faun, and will probably keep it this way for at least another fortnight or so, but when i set him up again i want to make sure they can't sneak back in. Thanx

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  14:12:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, if I used Orchid Bark I would bake it at ~150C for an hour or so. Or microwave it if not using much.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  16:01:20  Show Profile
if you not already doing this and to be absolutley sure of there not any more mites, you might also want to keep him on newspaper or kitchen roll

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  16:49:38  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

if you not already doing this and to be absolutley sure of there not any more mites, you might also want to keep him on newspaper or kitchen roll

Yeah i done that for 4 weeks, when i moved him into the faunarium. Had him checked, no mites on him now.....just wanting to be sure there was none still hiding in his viv.
But mainly make sure when i bed him on orchid bark again, theres as little chance as possible of him getting them again. As everybody who has suffered the same will appreciate what a pain in the rear they are to sort out.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  17:13:35  Show Profile
i bet they r horrid....

what did you use to get rid of them?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Btw Addicksglenn, you can delete '[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com]' from the beginning of your signature and '[/url]' from the end of it.

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  17:44:23  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

i bet they r horrid....

what did you use to get rid of them?

They really are the pits, as they are so small and hard to spot.
You think you have them cured and then "hello" 1 suddenly appears.

So i went to a reptile shop near me and spoke to a very helpful man, he advised me to bathe him in about an inch of water with a drop of Original fairy washing up liquid (has to be original) no cheap or perfumed 1's.
Then spray him with Beaphar Insect Spray.
Not seen any since.

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  17:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Btw Addicksglenn, you can delete '[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com]' from the beginning of your signature and '[/url]' from the end of it.

Thank you, i know very little about computer stuff ,
looks much better without it.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  18:46:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000