substrate depth PLEASE REPLY THIS IS URGENT
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:27:24  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
I have just bought the first load of substrate for my python and I have changed the substrate from wood chippings to this really thin hay stuff. It is really deep and nearly overflowing. Is there a limit to the dpth of substrate and what depth do you recommend? Please reply as this is very very urgent. Thanks!

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:52:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What exactly is it? - Aspen?

I have about 1" depth anyway.

Also, it will depend on whether you are heating from above or below.

Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  21:53:52  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
i am heating from below it is like hay but thin like small strands of grass the substrate at the mo is aout 4 or 5 " deep, will the heat from a single heatmatt penetrate that? He bried himself ealier about an inch.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  22:50:11  Show Profile
wot is the substrate called...?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  07:14:44  Show Profile
hi

That sounds like aspen, you only need an inch or so covering the ground, you can save the rest for when you next clean his home out.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:36:17  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
Ok, but he seems to like burrowing in it. Can the heat mat penetrate through about 3 or 4 inches of it because e seems to ik burrowing to aroun this depth
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:39:02  Show Profile
do you have a thermostat?
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:39:51  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
not at the moment but I will have one in about a week
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:41:02  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
I know you are supposed to change their substrate every few months but if the substrate is kept clean can you have it in there for longer?
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:49:25  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
I just got monty my royal out and I am handling him now. He doesn't seem cold and he had burrowed towards his heat mat so I think I will leave the substrate as it is because he seems content with it as it is. Thank you for your advice and help, it did not go unappreciated. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  09:54:53  Show Profile
if u dont have a thermostat, do you have a digital thermometer? i'm not blasting you, up until recently i didnt have a thermostat either, however, when i put the thermometer under the substrate (down to where my royal was burying himself, the temperature had reached 50*c which is WAY too high, i had to orchestrate some way to prevent the snake from reaching that level without blocking the mat so much it became a fire hazard.... basically it was a nightmare! i dont use aspen, i use a mixture of some boring paper based one and a wood based substrate, about 1-2" deep, when i had no thermostat the heat on top of the substrate was fine, but if he buried down...he was greeted by the 50*c temp... :s
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:11:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What temperature is it on top of the substrate? - How are you measuring it?

As MC says, you really ought to have a thermostat or you're gambling with your snake's health.

You really ought to do a thorough clean-out (remove everything and disinfect) at least once a month to stop bacterial growth.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  11:01:42  Show Profile
thermostat is a must my friend...

heat mats can heat a wooden viv to the required temp (say 32*C)through the base of 15mm of wood.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  06:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds more like Aubiose, chopped hemp, some people use it in stables for horse bedding too.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

cdd007
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  17:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see cdd007's MSN Messenger address
ok, I will get a thermostat, and a thermometer, but the guy in the pet shop said It wasn't necessary. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

mourne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  19:21:52  Show Profile
Typical of pet shops, i live in Northern Ireland and i find most pet shops say the same, for why, i can`t understand as surely it would help them by selling the thermostats.

Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  20:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by cdd007

ok, I will get a thermostat, and a thermometer, but the guy in the pet shop said It wasn't necessary. Thank you

Any kind of heating without a thermostat could get stupidly hot, they're a must.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  21:46:01  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by cdd007

the guy in the pet shop said It wasn't necessary.

Get him to look at this thread on "The Dark Side".....

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/174166-do-i-really-need-thermostat.html
.....and see if he still feels the same after.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000