Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  18:54:03  Show Profile
Hey guys, Ive read everywhere that generally people prefer to feed outside of the Viv ie in an RUB and I will be doing this too, however not being able to handle them afterwards how do you go about getting them back into the viv? I wouldnt want to risk regurg or being tagged. And when should it be done, when the food is completely devoured?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  18:58:53  Show Profile
Its fine to pick them up and put them straight back in their viv. Just try and keep the snake's body fairly straight. You should be fine to move it with your hands, and wait until the snake has worked the prey down to half way of its body.

Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  19:03:19  Show Profile
Ah okay thanks. And obviously to let it settle for a good few weeks, is it advisable to keep them in the viv for feeding but maybe lay a peice of paper down over the sub and hover the mouse above it so as not to get any substrate near it?

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  19:12:57  Show Profile
i have a "feeding tile" that i only put in the viv when it's feeding time.
i think he's getting the idea as when i put my hand in the viv normally he pretty much ignores me, but when i put the tile in, he comes out and sits in front it 'til i offer the food.
i hope it's a good idea at least LOL
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  19:14:25  Show Profile
Ive never owned a snake before and I thought I was being a bit nit picky but as Im learning every attention to detail is always good for both the snake and owner. I think it's a good idea, Cat and I will do the same.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  22:11:10  Show Profile
I always feed Peanut in his viv, is much easier than getting him out, feeding him, and then having to put him back in again.

I have my snake on kitchen roll to, so if there is much blood after he has killed it i just remove the piece that is soiled.

he knows when it is dinner time and when not...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  22:56:33  Show Profile
Ty for responses.

Blood? I know this may seem really stupid since I know rats do actually contain blood :p but everytime I've seen a snake eat I've never noticed any blood. Does this happen often? I HAVE heard of it, but I thought it was when the food item was too hot. As well as being spider phobic, and generally bug phobic, I'm also blood phobic haha. I have to admit if I saw blood and guts on a regular basis it would possibly put me off. :S

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:03:10  Show Profile
it's only occasionally if they bite down or if you have to brain their food... and if you use Wolfspirits method no wiping involved, just grab and bin :p
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:09:39  Show Profile
Argghhhh @ braining. I'm trying to avoid this AT ALL COSTS. Hence me getting a well feeding (I trust my local rep shop entirely to tell me the truth, as he is aware I'm a first time owner and would not want to risk his snake going to a bad home) yearling or slightly older. God i hope I dont have a problem though. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:16:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
you may well get a good feeder but theres nothing to say that he wont go off his food,which he will do at some time and you have to be prepared to try everything.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:18:26  Show Profile
as far as braining goes, i use a corn on the cob handle lol. two pronged little thing, i pokes it in the skull then feed it to Ra, i dont normally see anything really, if you time it right it's pooling and the snake nabs it before it drips, doesnt tend to be too bloody though either just a strange colour liquid... unless i am buying mutant rodents lol
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:22:37  Show Profile
Isnt the skull like... hard though? o.O I just had visions that I had to perform some sort of surgical procedure like cutting around the scalp and cracking it's head open!!!!

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:22:59  Show Profile
lol Cat, i just get a knife and slit its head....but i dont have to with Peanut, i do that with my young corn i am trying to wean off pinkies...she wont eat a fuzzie without a pinkie first..lol..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:28:29  Show Profile
I think I could deal with poking it to get some blood out, the idea of smashing its skull really makes me feel queasy.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:34:52  Show Profile
use a real sharp knife, thats what i do then i just squeeze the head a little to get a bit out, i dont wants mouse brains everywhere,,

sorry if that sounds yucky, its not as bad as it sounds.

I had a bigger problem with a fuzzie i took out of the freezer at the weekend, when he died he was all huddled up and for the first time ever i felt awful for this little animal, i am glad i dont have to kill them for feeding or Peanut would starve...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:39:09  Show Profile
So their skulls are quite soft?

Aaww that sucks. :( I recently got told about how they freeze the food item alive also, and my mate was winding me up and telling me that he finds some of em cuddled up together trying to keep warm before they die. Upsetting. I know they're low in the food chain and its all nature but I cant help but feel for the little guys lol

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  00:27:17  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
to brain mine i put them in a vice then smash their head in with a meat tenderiser a couple of times,lol

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  08:05:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

to brain mine i put them in a vice then smash their head in with a meat tenderiser a couple of times,lol

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  09:00:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

lol
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  13:54:15  Show Profile
Stop taking the mickey out of me, lol

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  13:57:39  Show Profile
awww, i wasnt i was laughing at how Lee brained his mouse..

sorry if you felt i was, i dont do that to people, not in a bad way anyway

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000