Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  17:25:04  Show Profile
As in the subject-one of my new royals just goes crazy. He is in constant move and it looks like he doesn't like his new home. I had him in 9ltr rub but he just couldn't find his place there. Now I let him have some more room and put him in 50ltr rub which is fully loaded with caves and plants. It didn't help at all - he is just constantly moving. When I get him out he is just cold in touch and still moving. In know is Olympics time but this guy scares me. I don't know if it is something wrong with him but if he won't stop doing that he won't last for long. What your experience with something like this is?

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  17:26:36  Show Profile
What morph (if any) is he?

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  17:35:21  Show Profile
Bumble Bee.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  17:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage
Sounds like you've got a live wire, did you get a carpet python by mistake?

In all seriousness, a snake will only go on the move if they're in need of something. Be that heat, cool, food, shelter or a mate

Sounds like you have enough cover in there, maybe check you're temps

Also, how often are you feeding and what are you feeding (mice, rat etc)?

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  17:48:52  Show Profile
Temps are perfect. Hot spot 32, ambient 27. He is 150g and he was on pinkies when I got him. He had only one meal with me which was rat fluff then I tried to feed him again but he wasn' interested. I'm getting mad now as I don't know what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  18:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage
Maybe try and switch back to mice, at 150g your snake should be able to take a mouse of 15-20g. That's about a medium mouse every 5-7days

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 fat black cat

Edited by - Fezza on 08/08/2012 18:08:41
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  18:15:53  Show Profile
Yes, I know he should but he is just weird. I will offer him mouse tonight but when he is in constant move he may not be interested in eating.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  18:34:04  Show Profile
You have a snake with the spider gene. Which is why I asked. It most likely has a bad head wobble.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  18:45:00  Show Profile
Check out video's on youtube. Type in corkscrew spider, or corkscrew bumblebee. You should find some good vid's of bad head wobble.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  19:02:23  Show Profile
Thanks lads
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  19:38:56  Show Profile
Have you looked at the vid's? Is it corkscrewing do you think?

My spider has only a slight head wobble when feeding. I took my time choosing one with little wobble, although it can get worse or better with age.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:30:34  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage
Funny enough I have the same issue with my hatchlings only the spider morphs (one spider and two Queen Bees). Their not corkscrewing just very very busy.

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:51:20  Show Profile
Yes, I watched vids. It looks like mine has got slight wobble but he is also very active. I gave him mouse and he still didn't want to stop. I had to put him into a cave and now he has got rest - hopefully for longer. Is this head wobble something serious?
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:24:59  Show Profile
Every royal with the spider gene has this problem. I think it's classed as a neurological problem. Apparently it doesn't harm them in any way. They do look un-easy at times, but theres nothing you can do about it.

It's not something to worry about imo.

When bred, it is said that the ones with a bad wobble will have babies with a not so bad wobble, and vice versa. I'm not sure how true this is though.

Once you have the hang of how he feeds, he should eat well. The spider gene is very well known for how well they eat.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:36:09  Show Profile
I guess this the problem with captive breeding. Any mutation that gives a snake a disadvantage in the wild would be removed by natural selection. That snake probably wouldnt survive to breed. But in captive breeding they are given that opportunity. I guess the head wobble isnt the worst example and wouldnt cause too much of a drawback in the wild. But certainly those scaleless snakes people are breeding. What hope would that have in the wild?

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:48:24  Show Profile
The spider gene would be fine in the wild imo. It has all the correct colour markings to survive. They can feed on live rodents (some have a problem with strike aim, but alot will nail it first time, every time).

The spider gene was taken from the wild anyway, and theres many articles on how they may have even been a different species years ago. Theres theories that they have the head wobble due to luring in birds, to then eat them. It is thought that they used to eat mostly birds, rather than rodents.

For every believer of these theories you will find a none believer. The articles are readily on the net if you search for them. They can discribe everything much better than I could.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  22:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stewy-C-

Every royal with the spider gene has this problem.

I'm not sure that the case 100% of the time

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  22:06:40  Show Profile
They all have it. It may not be visable, but they have it. Their offspring will show signs of it.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  22:43:33  Show Profile
I would not have thought a head wobble would cause a snake to be constantly on the go. That's is down to feeling insecure, or moving to find the desired temp, even snakes with a prominent head wobble can still be found totally at rest.

I would start at the obvious and work towards the impossible when trying to work out what's going on. Honing in your setup to suit the snake is far easier than jumping straight to possible genetic traits. Recheck your temps, black out the tub (I'd shrink to as small as possible, if it wont settle in the big tub), you have a few degrees of play, try turning the temp up a degree of 2, see if it settles down once it finds heat. I rarely find my royal feels cold to the touch, not overly warm unless its been basking but never cold.

I'm not totally clued up on all the visible problems that can arise from carrying the active spider gene (geentics is confusing so I'm taking it slow) but from what I have heard most of their wobbling occurs when getting fed or if they are startled, anything that gets them 'excited'. Most Royals (and snakes in general) slightly wobble their head, specially around feeding, its their balance system, its very basic and if their jaw isn't pretty much on the ground their head bobs about a bit.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  22:48:18  Show Profile
I don't think this head wobble has anything to do with my bumble bee behaviour. He is in constant move and that scares me the most. After I gave him food he spent 3 hrs in his hide and his back in his race. It is quite annoying as I'm trying everything to stop him and his taking p*** out off me. I don't really know where this little b******d is trying to go but non of my 3 other royals never got me so worried.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  22:56:41  Show Profile
In the severe cases they do become overly active like this. It's common, and well documented. It's the very reason my first question was "what morph is it?", because it was pretty obvious to me. I did alot of research on this before I bought a spider.

It isn't unable to rest, as it stayed in the hide when placed in there. This is down to the gene's, and trying to find a fault with a set up when ones not there will just stress the snake. If you know your temps are ok (which I am guessing the owner of a bee will), then leave it as it is. The spider gene is hard to read, so keep to the usually temps.

As bob said the wobble gets worse when they get excited. BUT, I will add, that this is not always the case. Some are worse when not excited. It effects each snake differently.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000