Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:00:36  Show Profile
Dont worry about it, its not a massive problem, a limp snake is when you worry, this is a minor issue that can be solved,it may just be an active snake but it wont hurt to turn the heat up to say 34oC, for a few days, as long as you stick below 35oC then its perfectly safe, my Royal likes 33oC, just through observing behaviour, I found 33 was more to his liking (this may be more to do with the digital thermometers not all reading the same temp, there is a variation in them so give it a try, if it has any exposed sides cover them with newspaper on the outside, a dark royal is usually a happy Royal.

You just make very minor changes and see how it effects the snake, though maybe its just an active snake and will calm as it ages but it cant hurt to explore a few changes you can make first. The main thing is really ensure there is no way for escape, a snake like that will escape if you give them even the slightest chance.

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
Yearling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Cookie's Homepage
Aw am glad I read this topic! Never knew anything of a wobble and some of them videos of them wee dudes with the wobble look terrible! :( Ano what morph I'll be staying away from.

Sorry Kon I've no advice for you but fingers crossed you get a solution/answer soon.

1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Sebastian, Romeo & Gypsy)
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:03:51  Show Profile
You think this royal gets much rest? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4lBpoPIWY

or this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQmiywlaJk&feature=related

It's what they do. It is present in ALL that carry the spider gene! It's just that some are worse than others.

Some patrol, some head wobble, some corkscrew, some head tilt and some spin amongst other movements. Some also do a mixture of these. It's a case of living with it, or sell it on.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:13:04  Show Profile
To be honest there is nothing else I can do. Temps are perfect, hides were used before by my other royals and they loved them, I even gave him a choice of big and small rub. He is feeding in the big one so I'll leave him there. I think it is just his personality and maybe that was the reason why he was sold to me. Apart from his over excited behaviour he looks very very healthy, his very tame and not scared of me at all. I'm worrying a lot as I've never experienced anything like this before. It's future boyfriend for my pastel and pinstripe so I need him to grow well and stay in good condition.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:15:45  Show Profile
It is very rare that you get a bad feeder with the spider gene. He should be a breeding weight in no time.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about"
"On the internet you can be anything you want, its strange that so many people choose to be stupid"
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:23:54  Show Profile
Stewy-C. Comparing to those two vids mine bee looks perfectly health. He is just like a normal royal but moving 200 times more. He may have some wobble but I would describe it as a 1 out of 100%. If not your suggestions I wouldn't probably notice that at all.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:24:52  Show Profile
Perfect is a relative term, I was suggesting minor changes that absolutely will not stress the snake out in any shape or form to rule out any possibility that its external situation causing the behaviour before putting it down to a genetic trait. Its not ruled out, but not exploring that its just not happy with its surroundings may be causing the fidgety snake to be even more fidgety. Making these minor changes with a new snake is standard procedure when settling in a new snake, you start at recommended and hone it in to each snake as an individual.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address
If he isn't showing corkscrew motion or looking like he has balance issues I wouldn't put it down to being due to the Spider gene, I've never heard of spider genes making a snake move around the RUB 24/7, I have a pretty trippy bumblebee when it comes to feed time she's often upside down but she knows how to sit in her hide when she's digesting a rat.

If it's not causing any problems I wouldn't worry too much about it, probably just an active snake.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:35:06  Show Profile
Thanks Lotabob I will try tomorrow then. I hope he will settle down eventually as I'm starting to be the same as him :)
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:36:47  Show Profile
Bob with all due respect I have read everything there is to read and more about the spider gene. I knew from the original post that it was down to this. Konrad has a bumble bee, we are not dealing with an impulse buyer here. I would and have assuumed he has his set up right. He has just over looked the spider gene. Which is easily done if all his info comes from this forum. As this forum doesn't have the same kind of topics as bush-league for instance.

And, as already stated, to start with a recommended setup and try and alter it thats best for the individual, will not work with the spider gene. If it eat's, it's good.

I think your trying to treat this like its another morph or normal, and it's not. Spiders are completely different, they are the one morph that is nothing like the rest.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:39:05  Show Profile
Thanks Kelfezond.
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by konrad1982

Stewy-C. Comparing to those two vids mine bee looks perfectly health. He is just like a normal royal but moving 200 times more. He may have some wobble but I would describe it as a 1 out of 100%. If not your suggestions I wouldn't probably notice that at all.

If he's feeding/pooing/shedding fine and looks in good condition then I wouldn't worry. A hyperactive royal is unusual but they are all individual

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:43:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

If he isn't showing corkscrew motion or looking like he has balance issues I wouldn't put it down to being due to the Spider gene, I've never heard of spider genes making a snake move around the RUB 24/7, I have a pretty trippy bumblebee when it comes to feed time she's often upside down but she knows how to sit in her hide when she's digesting a rat.

If it's not causing any problems I wouldn't worry too much about it, probably just an active snake.

I have heard of this, it's actually quite common. The info is there if you look for it.

Adjusting temps may calm it down, for a short time. But it will always revert to its DNA.

To the rest, i'm gonna leave this thread alone now. As theres nothing more to be said. I'm certain in what i'm saying. Don't let a post count make you think it's better info konrad. Research it, and you'll find the right outcome. Hope you can stop stressing soon.

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:46:45  Show Profile
Thanks Stewy-C, Fezza and all of you guys for all your help even at this time at night. It is great to have someone there who can support you and give some good advice. I will see how it goes and will inform you all what will happen. I'll do my best to keep him healthy even if I have to sleep with him in my bed :) well if I get the power to kick out my mrs :)

Edited by - konrad1982 on 08/08/2012 23:51:50
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:51:43  Show Profile
I never said rule out it been about the spider gene, it may be a rare case of the shuffles arising from the spider gene, what I am saying is DONT rule out something simple first. You may have read everything there is to read and more about the spider gene but you absolutely cannot say I know X therefore its X and nothing else. That is pigheaded and could miss something important.

quote:

He had only one meal with me which was rat fluff then I tried to feed him again but he wasn' interested

quote:

Hot spot 32, ambient 27.

quote:

He is 150g

quote:

50ltr rub

Lot of other info there that could point to a reason for the behaviour, 27oC ambient in a Rub, how? 150 grams and in a 50 litre Rub, sounds a bit big, and he isn't eating, you read 'always on the go' and jump to one conclusion due to something you read, I see several possibilities and think its better to make minor changes to the things you CAN change rather than just saying its a spider thats how it is and possibly missing something.

Edited by - Lotabob on 08/08/2012 23:56:38
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  23:56:38  Show Profile
I think everybody is right and when I put these information all together it will let me find good solution and help my little bro.
Go to Top of Page

Stewy-C-
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  00:09:51  Show Profile
Ok, one last reply just to let you see how I read it.

Bob: what about the temps?
150g and in a 50lt rub, oh my gawd! Shock horror. You miss to mention the snake was the same in a 9lt rub. Also the 50lt is packed out. The none feeders I take in, go right into 3ft vivs. All of which have always started eating and gone back the breeders.

To call someone pigheaded, who actually knows what he is saying is a little daft. It's so damn obvious this, yet it's turned to a debate. If this was on bush-league or even rfuk, the experts would say its a spider, next topic.

Can't believe people can argue when they admittedly haven't a clue about the gene. Also it's not only a rare case of the shuffles. It's common and you haven't got a clue about it in all honesty. Read the sig.

I'm off to bed, night!

1.0 Spider Royal
0.1 Pastel Royal
0.1 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  00:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage
Come on Bob, you can't argue with nearly two weeks experience!
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10078

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  00:26:57  Show Profile
To clear up any confusion and to not turn this thread into a argument between all possible answers I will summarise the whole thing for the benefit of the original poster as that is what this forum is about helping someone who has asked a question.

The spider gene is a plausible explanation as to the behaviour of your snake but the following other things are also matters which could require some attention.

As it is not feeding then it could indicate that it is not comfortable in its surroundings, this also causes a snake to roam excessively.

It fed once while in the 9ltr RUB but hasn't eaten since, I personally wouldn't have moved it into a larger RUB until it was larger or firmly established it was comfortable in its 9L rub and you felt it was an appropriate move to make.

The ambient temperature of a rub is almost always just room temperature (I run several RUB set ups under different temp requirements, ambient has always been room temp) so I was wondering why it was so much higher, could it be a duff reading or is the hot end running much much hotter than it should be. So even when you think the temps are perfect if anything gives an indication that something is not normal you have to review the setup and make sure. On the same subject because the snake is moving around and hasn't climbed into the waterbowl (hot snakes will climb into their bowl as a last resort to cool down) it gives another possibility that its too cold and looking to get warm so again a full check of the heat source, stat, probes and thermometers is required just to be sure it is all doing what it should be.

The final part is a new snake needs some time to settle in, find its hides and to feel secure in them, as a nocturnal snake, dark conditions are their preferred conditions, in the wild they hide under ground all day and hunt at night, and by hunt I mean sit and wait for something to come near enough to become dinner, covering the RUB with a towel or newspaper can help a stressed out snake to calm down, in the same way we transport them in pillowcases, bags etc, dark helps to keep them calm.

This forum is not a competition, its not who can be right first or out to disprove anyone, its a great place to collect a wealth of knowledge and information to give everyone the very best chances of addressing problems. No one person is ever right to the exclusion of any other opinions, it's a collective.

Edited by - Lotabob on 09/08/2012 01:40:28
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
908 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  04:19:51  Show Profile
Im not convinced theres an issue here. How long has the snake been so active? When I first got my Royal he was very active. He explored his viv for a few days before settling in one of his hides. I change the layout and put different hides in every month and he does the same thing. having a good explore. He always settles down eventually, but usually I hear him moving all night. He never seems at all stressed.

I dont think the size of enclosure is an issue. Think about royals in the wild, in grasslands and wooded areas... they are bigger than 50litres!! as long as there is plenty of accessible hiding places, the size of a viv isnt important. if that was stressing it out then it wouldnt be moving around in the open, it would be in a hide.

1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python - Juju CB11
0.1.0 Western Hognose - Hetti CB12
1.0.0 Fire Harlequin Crested Gecko - Jasper CB13
0.1.0 Het Kahl Common Boa (bci) - Pandora CB13
1.3.0 Viper geckos
1.1.0 66% PH Toffee 50% Kayuadi reticulated pythons
0.1.0 Platinum Tiger Reticulated python
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly