Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  17:42:17  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Growing my own on some of his food is saving quite a few pounds. If I can find space to grow my own locusts then that will definately save a lot.

Crix are out now because we got fed up with them escaping all of the time. Might not sound too bad when you think in terms of a tub or two but when you have to keep several hundred in it becomes a tad annoying. Roaches are out because they scare the life out of the Mrs so we're kinda stuck with locusts.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  18:17:10  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Locusts are having sexy time so fingers crossed .

Aww, bless 'im. It's such hard work growing up to be a big, mean, bad ass lizard:

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  20:09:10  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im going to get one of these :). Just doing my research on them for the next few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  22:11:26  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James House

Im going to get one of these :). Just doing my research on them for the next few weeks.

I would strongly recommend researching for a lot longer than a few weeks. Monitors are one hell of a big commitment and can very easily put you in A & E if the mood takes them. I just had a quick look at your profile and noticed your age. What are your plans for further/higher education and career? Please don't take this as me patronizing you because that isn't my intention. These lizards need constant interaction and can seriously affect your lifestyle. A lot of these fantastic animals are put up for rehoming because people don't understand the commitment that they require; the size of vivs needed; and the cost of feeding these bottomless pits. Keep an eye on this thread because I'm posting a list of the food G has ploughed his way through during October. Just have a long think on it and if you've got any further questions feel free to ask

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  00:09:30  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Currently im taking a gap year and looking for employment so I can have a good hard long thinkg about what I want to do for a career. Im looking into becoming a herpetologist as Reptiles are really the only thing that I don't get bored of. Im not planning on getting a bosc anytime soon. I dont want to get one then neglect it from college work/work. Depending what im doing at the time. Researching isn't a long task for me as I can do almost all day everyday. Im not a weirdo or anything that doesn't go out. Just all my friends are either at college or working and I have to stay home most days to look after my dog. My eyes wont move :) promise. lol. G is starting to become a bit of a monster now, have u been able to weigh him yet? And how is the 6ft viv coming along?
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  09:39:06  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A quick pic to give an idea of the size of the bugs G's eating now. Got bored and started playing aeroplanes with the locusts :

Grab 'em by the back legs and blow on their face. Hey presto, they think they're flying and the wings start beating.

quote:

Currently im taking a gap year and looking for employment so I can have a good hard long thinkg about what I want to do for a career. Im looking into becoming a herpetologist as Reptiles are really the only thing that I don't get bored of. Im not planning on getting a bosc anytime soon. I dont want to get one then neglect it from college work/work. Depending what im doing at the time. Researching isn't a long task for me as I can do almost all day everyday. Im not a weirdo or anything that doesn't go out. Just all my friends are either at college or working and I have to stay home most days to look after my dog. My eyes wont move :) promise. lol. G is starting to become a bit of a monster now, have u been able to weigh him yet? And how is the 6ft viv coming along?

A good career to aim for. So we'll be able to come to you for advice in a few years then. Are you aiming to work in a zoo or privately? G's viv is nearly done. Just got to get the glass doors and order the cage for the tube heater from Dave.

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  13:59:11  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes you may come to me for advice :). Im not sure, if I work in a zoo I would try to get a job at Chester Zoo because they have Komodo Dragons.

Awesome, what size is it I forgot? 6 x 2?. Im thinking of building a 7 x 3 x 3 if I go through with getting one. Not sure how well the heating will go with that though so will probably have to get a few bulbs going and maybe a heat mat.
Go to Top of Page

xautomaticflowersx
Yearling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  17:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you make locust-bomber sound effects?

Whoooooshhhhhhh Fnyooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww Dakadakadakadakadakadaka!

I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of locusts when they grow to be in the 'crunchy' phase of life with big ol' wings. However, I now see them in a much more amusing light!

Juvenile behaviour aside, I hope the locusts start feeling amorous and give you lots of bosc food.

0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Eublepharis macularius ('Gecko Lady')
1.0.0 Giant Day Gecko - Phelsuma m. grandis ('Pedro')
1.0.0 Giant Namibian Sand Gecko - Chondrodactylus a. angulifer ('Mr. Chondrodactylus' or 'Mr. C')
1.0.0 Desert Iguana - Dipsosaurus dorsalis ('Iggie' or 'Iggz')
1.0.0 Royal Python - Python regius ('Ripley')
0.0.2 Rankins Dragons - Pogona henrylawsoni ('Pancake' and 'Waffles')
1.0.0 75% Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - Morelia spilota spp. ('Buggy')
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  18:06:06  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome, what size is it I forgot? 6 x 2?. Im thinking of building a 7 x 3 x 3 if I go through with getting one. Not sure how well the heating will go with that though so will probably have to get a few bulbs going and maybe a heat mat.

6x3x3 that can be extended very easily because I've used tongue and groove loft boards for the base, back and top. Heating uses a tube heater and I'm looking at a Megaray to provide basking/UV but I may just stick with a fluoro tube for UV and focused spots for basking. Still deciding on that bit .

quote:
Originally posted by xautomaticflowersx

Did you make locust-bomber sound effects?

Erm....... maybe

If all goes well then it'll be a cheaper way of breeding them than most of the guides out there. Might have to get my authors cap on.

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  18:31:48  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh right awesome. UV isn't necessary for Bosc monitors. Although it wont harm them if u do use it. How did is your substrate? I've read that it should be deep enough for them to dig comfortable.
I got a few questions. What are GALS? are they easy to breed? What temperatures are u using for your warm side/cool side. Everywhere I read it's something different. I know basking spot is like 120F
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  22:18:11  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

UV isn't necessary for Bosc monitors.

Read up on their environment and behaviour in the wild. MBD is not a pleasant thing

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  23:20:45  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
MBD is not a pleasant thing at all. Just everywhere I read about keeping bosc's in captivity UVB+UVA isn't a must have as they are able to thrive without it if given the correct temperatures.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  08:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

MBD is not a pleasant thing at all. Just everywhere I read about keeping bosc's in captivity UVB+UVA isn't a must have as they are able to thrive without it if given the correct temperatures.

In the wild they are out and about hunting in the mid-day sun and topping up their tan. Surely, as keepers, it is our responsibility to do our best to mimic, to the best of our ability, their natural environment? Speak to some other keepers and I pretty much guarantee you that they will all have at least 10% UV installed in their vivs. I do not know of a single keeper, who has UV installed, that has had problems with their monitor. Probably because they are replicating the natural habitat of the african savannah. Just because an author has written that it is not essential doesn't mean that it isn't required. Technically we could live without sunlight if with took suppliments with our diet but ask yourself a question. Would you be happy? Savannah monitors need sunlight and it is the responsibility of a keeper to replicate that sunlight to the best of our ability.

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  12:47:05  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I see where your coming from now. I wasn't saying that if u did have it it would cause problems as I did state before that it wont harm them if you do use it. But thankyou for pointing me in the right direction :).

What type of wood are you using for yout viv? Because I was going to use MDF but because the viv will be quite humid I dont want the wood to swell and then collapse.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:10:56  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

G's got a fasting day tomorrow so here are the food figures for October '09 as promised.

Locust sizes are based on the instar so Adult is fully developed with
wings, XL is the instar before and so on.

Adult Locust: 147
XLarge Locust: 91
Large Locust: 45
Medium Locust: 20
Total Number of Locusts consumed: 303

Morio Worms: 96

Helix aspersa (Brown Garden Snail): 19

Assorted size Rodents (largest of which was an XL mouse): 4

Portion of Lamb's Liver (about the size of 1 and a half Hotwheels cars): 1

Day Old Chick: 1

1" Turkey Cubes: 2

Oh and half a hard boiled chicken egg!!

His diet list for november will be larger again as he is having another major growth spurt.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  20:39:11  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

What type of wood are you using for yout viv? Because I was going to use MDF but because the viv will be quite humid I dont want the wood to swell and then collapse.

Depends how big a viv you are building really. As long as you seal the inside surfaces of your viv properly then it should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

James House
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  21:00:05  Show Profile  Click to see James House's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im going to build a 7x3x3. I was thinking of either covering the inside with a wood effect vinyl or using marine varnish? and use a water tight sealant where the wood joins.

G is getting pretty huge. Not really suprising by the amount he eats though.

Edited by - James House on 30/10/2009 21:01:51
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  10:28:50  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Canny food bill that, makes a snakes diet look pathetic! He's looking good mate

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  11:30:12  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking of either covering the inside with a wood effect vinyl or using marine varnish?

If you use vinyl covering you will still need to seal the timber with varnish or similar otherwise the humidity will rot it behind the vinyl. Try and use a low V.O.C. varnish as the fumes will disperse faster. It's just a case of standing in the varnish aisle of B&Q reading all of the tins .

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  11:44:36  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizard-classifieds/403806-very-tame-bosc-viv-bristol.html looks cheap

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000