Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  14:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, i know what you mean but mine sleeps full time. like having a baby that stays at the hospital, under a blanket so you cant see it,lol, why have one?
Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  14:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and atleast i still got rosie, my year old chilie rose to talk to for some intelligent convosation,lol.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royals are very rarely out....

You have basically got a nocturnal snake that only comes out at night. If you wanted a display snake then maybe a aboreal snake may have been better for you.

Edited by - dazb on 21/06/2009 15:01:42
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are listening to you all the way, but your not always hearing our replies.

as for wanting to see more of your snake.

I hate to be tne barer of bad news, but...

royals are not a display snake, far from it, they LOVE being hidden away.

they are naturally shy snakes...

maybe you should have got a king snake, they are much more active.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aboreal snake like which? iv always liked the royal for their size and colourings, i dont like corns as they are like worms, and i dont have space for a bermese.

id atleast like my snake out at night, as im not home during the day anyway.
i love my royal, im just waiting for the time i can enjoy it.

i think im more anxious as my friends royal of the same age is doing great, in a 3ft viv and only had a house bulb till i gave him a red bulb, way to much humidity and hes never read a care sheet in his life. now im trying hard and no one can beleive im having feeding probloms not him.

i just cant understand it myself!
Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not hearing all the replys cause im not seeing them..
only whats posted on here and its not always an answer, more a comment as to my stress and the snakes.
im not a fan of king snake colourings, i dont like bright coloured snakes and iv never seen a normal coloured king.
like i say, il be happy when my royal is happy, and in its intended home.

does anybody buy a royal to keep it in a box? im not sure they do.
but im taking all the advise i can so i can get it right. if all fails i might go the route my friend took and see how i go.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
each royal is different, some are good feeders, some arnt, some are out and about,and some arnt...

I have 3 royals. 2 of which eat well and one that hasnt eaten since january. 2 never come out. 1 is out every night about 10pm.

As for aboreal these are my next purchases...Not 100% arboreal but love being out it the branches...

http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet.htm

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe this is all a learning curve for you, your friend got lucky is all.

i know it is easier said than done,but you have to stop worrying and remember your snake is different to your friends, comparing wont make it any easier either.

all your energy is wrong to....

you have to try and take a step back deep breath and calm down...stop the what if's and have a little confidence in your snake and yourself.

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil, in answer to your earlier question, a hatchling Royal can easily take a small mouse or ideally a rat pup. Lets just see if it'll eat this fuzzy this time before you think at all about changing though. If it doesn't I'd probably try a rat pup next time as rats smell different and may provoke the feeding response.

When your royal is all settled and eating and happy I'm sure you'll see a lot more of him.

Everyone else, lets try and keep this friendly, its obvious Neil is looking for help and just a bit excited about his new pet, understandably.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way i see it, on the forum it is hard to read other people's posts, you can interpret them in may ways, you dont have the tone of voice or body language to back up communication, these are things the human brain relies on when processing.
A post may sound condescending or just a bit "off" but generally isn't supposed to be.. if you get my meaning..?
In terms of your royal:
I think there are several definative "rights and wrongs" for example having too high a temp can burn the snake, too low can cause digestion problems. (yet there is still the "general grey area" as far as temp goes, some prefer hot end at 30*c, others at 32*c) with humidity, too low can cause shedding problems, too high can cause RI's and again there is a general grey area of preference the list can go on and on and on.
Really, as long as you have the "do's and dont's" pegged, all people can tell you is the way they do it- it doesn't necessarily mean their way is the DEFINATIVE do it this way or else way.
As for feeding, i think royals are much like babies- you can worry, and check everything is alright, that the set up is good, that the food is right (some royals are fussy about the COLOUR of their food for heavens sake lol) and you can sit there twiddling your thumbs wondering just what the hell you are doing wrong. just like with a baby.... it's clean, fed, winded, bathed, changed, not too hot, not too cold, wrapped up in a blanket, been in the car for a drive, slept... so why the hell is the thing STILL SCREAMING AT YOU!!!!!
As long as you are happy that everything you have done is the right thing to do, and your snake is healthy, all you can do is listen to what OTHER people do. doesn't mean you are wrong, or that you have to do it too.
and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell em to naff off lol.
that's my thruppence thrown in... hope it causes no one any offence :)

i realise this is just the sort of post you have asked not to have... *cringe* sorry >.<
listen to BE.... ignore me rofl ;)

Edited by - MissCat on 21/06/2009 15:41:08
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  15:41:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very good Cat, nice analogy

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  16:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Everyone else, lets try and keep this friendly, its obvious Neil is looking for help and just a bit excited about his new pet, understandably.

when did anyone come across as anything other than friendly?

I had this discussion with Cat the other night about this, ten people can read an email and each one of them will read it different..
It can be a major problem or it cant...if your in a happy mood you read it good, if your in a not so good mood then you tend to carry that when reading and maybe also when replying..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  16:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

each royal is different, some are good feeders, some arnt, some are out and about,and some arnt...

I have 3 royals. 2 of which eat well and one that hasnt eaten since january. 2 never come out. 1 is out every night about 10pm.

As for aboreal these are my next purchases...Not 100% arboreal but love being out it the branches...

http://www.acreptiles.com/pythons_carpet.htm

Are you get a carpet or a Jungle?

I am sooooooooooooo jealous i would so love a jungle jag...or an IJ...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

The way i see it, on the forum it is hard to read other people's posts, you can interpret them in may ways, you dont have the tone of voice or body language to back up communication, these are things the human brain relies on when processing.
A post may sound condescending or just a bit "off" but generally isn't supposed to be.. if you get my meaning..?
In terms of your royal:
I think there are several definative "rights and wrongs" for example having too high a temp can burn the snake, too low can cause digestion problems. (yet there is still the "general grey area" as far as temp goes, some prefer hot end at 30*c, others at 32*c) with humidity, too low can cause shedding problems, too high can cause RI's and again there is a general grey area of preference the list can go on and on and on.
Really, as long as you have the "do's and dont's" pegged, all people can tell you is the way they do it- it doesn't necessarily mean their way is the DEFINATIVE do it this way or else way.
As for feeding, i think royals are much like babies- you can worry, and check everything is alright, that the set up is good, that the food is right (some royals are fussy about the COLOUR of their food for heavens sake lol) and you can sit there twiddling your thumbs wondering just what the hell you are doing wrong. just like with a baby.... it's clean, fed, winded, bathed, changed, not too hot, not too cold, wrapped up in a blanket, been in the car for a drive, slept... so why the hell is the thing STILL SCREAMING AT YOU!!!!!
As long as you are happy that everything you have done is the right thing to do, and your snake is healthy, all you can do is listen to what OTHER people do. doesn't mean you are wrong, or that you have to do it too.
and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell em to naff off lol.
that's my thruppence thrown in... hope it causes no one any offence :)

i realise this is just the sort of post you have asked not to have... *cringe* sorry >.<
listen to BE.... ignore me rofl ;)

Dont cringe Cat , that was very well said and as time goes on you will get to know your snake, be able to read him better and take the bits you wnat to use and leave the rest...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  16:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right-o i have just re read through the thread in its entirety >.< (it's heading the same way as my first thread!)
Firstly i want to say, just because some poor advice may have been followed (ie from the pet shop) it doesn't mean that the OP (Neil) needs to be put down for any reason. i've been there,nearly killed my snake, felt like pants because of it, got the t-shirt (well not yet, but will soon lol)
neil i completely understand from the money scheme of things, you have so far spent a LOT of money that wasn't really needed to be spent, so it's not very heartening to hear that yes, you have to spend more >.<
It can get confusing and frustrating when questions you have asked don't get anwswered in a way that you feel is constructive.
Anything you do for your snake will take time to have an impact on it, no changes will happen overnight, unfortunately.
If it feeds this time, it doesnt necessarily mean it will feed next time. fun fun fun.
you are obviously trying you hardest, that's all you can do :D
keep persevering, snakey will get there in the end... and at least with everything you have bought you should have very little to pay out in the future lol.
there's so much advice and information that can and will be given, you just have to use what suits you. Okay so mistakes have been made. Nevermind- they happen.
Has anyone suggested you attempting to use a multimammate baby to feed it? i have heard on the wonderful "grapevine" that they are virually irresistible to royals. so if all else fails you might be able to try that... ?
Anywho, take care and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  17:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

it doesn't mean that the OP (Neil) needs to be put down for any reason.
Has anyone suggested you attempting to use a multimammate baby to feed it? i have heard on the wonderful "grapevine" that they are virually irresistible to royals. so if all else fails you might be able to try that... ?
Anywho, take care and good luck.

Hi Cat, i dont think anyone has put him down...

Neil, i am very sorry if i came across like that, it was not intended..

I am so willing your snake to eat...just to put you out of your misery...

Yeah it is very frustrating when things dont go your way...

I am around 25 days away from having Multis, but i have got three pregnant mice and if they drop quick enough i will have those, but they need to be quick or the babies wont be born...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  18:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope I havent come across a little off with you mate...If i have it was not my intetion at all. Im just trying to offer advice...

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  18:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

I hope I havent come across a little off with you mate...If i have it was not my intetion at all. Im just trying to offer advice...

it was me i think...

your fine...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  20:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
youve all came across very helpful and friendly, just a littleimpataint with me at times.
i apprieciate it all though.
but still no feed, didnt even flick its tounge at it, after 30 secs of just sitting there as i dangled it on some cotton as it doesnt seem to like the tweezers, it just headed strait up for my hand, all the pushing back in and it didnt have none of it.
its been wraped round my wrist for the last 15mins and it dont want to go anywhere. it seems really happy just sat here.
it also seems to have some loose scales on its chin like its been trying to get out or rubbing on the air holes.
i even tried out the rub on my bed, with the mouse on a board the other end, i just got it nice and warm. put snakey towards it and i get no reaction.
the worrying part is on the 13th june it was 51.2grams. now its 47.7grams. so has lost some weight in a little over a week.

i know what you all mean about not being able to read people through text. so apoligies if iv seemed funny with anyone, im just trying to get things across.

thanks for all your time
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2009 :  20:22:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hard luck Neil, I'd suggest putting it all away for an hour with the mouse out and then try again. Get it nice and hot and then use the tweezers to wiggle it along the RUB floor as though walking slowly. Hanging by cotton probably isn't very natural and how would you get the cotton off if it did take it?

Edited by - Blackecho on 21/06/2009 20:22:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000