Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  14:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats cool, my other snakes shed fine, one of my mates boa has trouble all the time. When i bathed her she was ok she got it off
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toothfairy

thats cool, my other snakes shed fine, one of my mates boa has trouble all the time. When i bathed her she was ok she got it off

have you got more royals? we need pics

what kind of hydrometer was you using? was it the dial ones?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  17:15:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, there seems something not quite right here.

How do you know your Royal died from constipation?

Why would you need to mist daily for a Royal (and it also bathed in its water bowl), I never mist any of mine.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd want to know for definite myself.

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no only while she was shedding. i have Costus to yes it is a dial one. but the humidity is the same in all the tanks and my other snakes have no problems
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

no only while she was shedding. i have Costus to yes it is a dial one. but the humidity is the same in all the tanks and my other snakes have no problems

dial ones are rubbish and very inacurate ,

room humidity is normaly enough for a royal.

bad sheds are normally a sign of something wrong, sometimes it is mites,sometimes it iis other things.

was there any problems with heat or any funny noises when she was breathing?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  20:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no she was like that from day one, when you say heat what do you mean.she never had mites, she was healthy and happy. What kind of funny noises?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  20:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

no she was like that from day one, when you say heat what do you mean.she never had mites, she was healthy and happy. What kind of funny noises?

how did you measure her temps?

noises as in did she make any noises when you were holding her or anything...

i guess without a proper pm we will never know...sorry for my questions, i just feel sad a snake has died...

i am always like it with animals...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no she never made any noises, i did the best for her, do you think i did not? i am gutted about the situation and the last thing i want to do is lose one of my others. Have you seen her picture did she not look happy to you?
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is you snake eating in your picture?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

what is you snake eating in your picture?

what is which of my snakes eating?

have i seen her picture? sorry dont think i did...you cant tell if a snake is happy by looking at them...

i only asked those questions because of the bad sheds...it is not really normal..

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 23/06/2009 21:06:31
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well a sad snake would be dorment and not active and perched on top of a branch, as she was active most of the time up until the end, the only thing that was differet was that she had not eaten and she needed a little help shedding. i have seen some snakes in bad conditions of which look poorly cared for and have a number a scars, with this in mind i am more than confident that my snake was very happy and everything else was normal.
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear about your lose.
i think every one is just trying to help figure out the cause, so you can rest easy about your other snakes. i don't think any one hear is putting any blame on you, if you are feeling like that, which your last few post seem to give off.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

dave 68
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
having worked in a reptile shop i have noticed quite a few things with royals. and having spoken to someone who also worked and owned a reptile shop and had extensive traning with with all sorts of reptiles, he also agrees that a condition like ibd would not occur over night. she showed no symptoms of any sort of neurological disorder. she was healthy,well cared for and had been kept in a viv that was kept at the right temp and humidity conditions which recommended for royals is 60-65%.slighly more than room humidity and slightly more when shedding.and has for constipation,if there is a back up for what ever reason then it will cause infections. a condition that would not be obvious has they are not generally regular and only pass when required.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spor

sorry to hear about your lose.
i think every one is just trying to help figure out the cause, so you can rest easy about your other snakes. i don't think any one hear is putting any blame on you, if you are feeling like that, which your last few post seem to give off.

yes your right..that is it

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  21:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave 68

having worked in a reptile shop i have noticed quite a few things with royals. and having spoken to someone who also worked and owned a reptile shop and had extensive traning with with all sorts of reptiles, he also agrees that a condition like ibd would not occur over night. she showed no symptoms of any sort of neurological disorder. she was healthy,well cared for and had been kept in a viv that was kept at the right temp and humidity conditions which recommended for royals is 60-65%.slighly more than room humidity and slightly more when shedding.and has for constipation,if there is a back up for what ever reason then it will cause infections. a condition that would not be obvious has they are not generally regular and only pass when required.

your right IBD does not appear overnight, but when it does come it takes no time to consume a royal, and the reason it was mentioned was because boas are known carriers of it and years ago they used to put royals in boa collections to see it they were clean...if the royal survived a month all was well, if it didnt then they knew..

ibd is not just neurological it can be presented in other ways to, but so to can a whole host of illnesses...

people keep royals at different humidity, but it is now known that to high can cause problems like ri's...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

60-65 is probably a bit on the high side.

So you're suggesting that the snake died from some form of septicaemia?

Would you not think it prudent to get a Post Mortem done to ensure the health of the rest of the collection?

Go to Top of Page

dave 68
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  22:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shirley was kept on her own for several months. i have a 18 month old boa who has been with my 4 yr old boa for 15 months.all sankes were kept in healthy conditions and well looked after. even experienced keepers can lose snakes.my local rep shop lost 2 juv burms for no apparent reason. suggestions are welcome,criticism is not. i have seen wild caught royals covered in ticks and infested with maggots.i have kept snakes on and off for 10 years. what happened is unfortunate but no ones fault.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  22:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

shirley was kept on her own for several months. i have a 18 month old boa who has been with my 4 yr old boa for 15 months.all sankes were kept in healthy conditions and well looked after. even experienced keepers can lose snakes.my local rep shop lost 2 juv burms for no apparent reason. suggestions are welcome,criticism is not. i have seen wild caught royals covered in ticks and infested with maggots.i have kept snakes on and off for 10 years. what happened is unfortunate but no ones fault.

nobody has criticised you, neither are we blaming anyone, just trying to help is all, thats what we do..and we care....cos we are nice people here..

and we were just concerned for you and the remaining snakes you had.,...

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 23/06/2009 22:42:11
Go to Top of Page

337smile
Yearling

296 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  22:42:08  Show Profile  Click to see 337smile's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss.

Just read back through this thread, how did you know it was constipation?

I've worked with animals for 10 years, including snakes, lizards, hens, skunks, prairie dogs, meerkats, goats, pigs, rats, tortoises. The list goes on... and occasionally an animal will die suddenly without any reason. If we ever thought there might be a risk to the rest of that species we would without hesitation get a PM done ASAP. However in many instances they can come back inconclusive and maybe a result of heart defect and a hundred other possibilities. If it was me I would get a PM done as you really seem to care about your animals and wouldn't want to lose another. Even if it comes back inconclusive then you have ruled out the possibility of something contagious.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  23:02:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So that means you put a 3 month old in with a 2.5 year old, a bit risky, no?

Sorry to hear about the other 2 snakes, I'd really want a PM done now in case there is something contagious going round.

No-one has accused anyone of being at blame, but as you will know from being an experienced keeper, mixing Royals and Boas is very dangerous and a possible cause of IBD (which can come on and kill very quickly).

Would you not want to know that all your snakes were safe?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000