Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  16:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Offered Ziggy food last night - he struck and took it, so we left him alone to eat in peace.

After half an hour or so, went to check on him and he had released the mouse and was sniffing around it like he couldnt figure out which way to eat it!!

Left him for an hour or so, but when checked again he was back in his cave and the mouse was rejected.

Could it be he might be pre shed? as this happened with one of the other snakes last week they struck but didnt eat.

How do you tell if an albino is pre shed??

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a question for BE, but i would imagine they would probably be duller and if possible a little darker,.

I always know when Peanut is coming into shed not just cos he is darker, but because his skin feels rougher..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  19:31:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have only once managed to tell the Cleo was coming up to shed, it can be very difficult to tell.

However, I have had that situation in the past where they have struck and then dropped it, on every occasion I have picked it back up (with tongs) heated it again with the hair drier and they have taken it.

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  22:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I suppose it was a good sign that he is settling in by striking.

I'll give him 3 days and try again.

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  22:40:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I bet if you'd nudged it into his hide slowly when he'd gone back into it he would have taken.

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, yesturday was feed day for the brood - I was leaving Ziggy as he rejected the last time.

All were fed and I warmed a rat for Gladysss but she refused it. I quickly thawed a mouse and offered her that and she took it no probs. Just have to resign to the fact that she prefers mice to rats and give in to her preferences.

Anyway, back to the point, my son informed me that Ziggy was out on the prowl, which is unlike him as he tends just to stay in his cave with his head popping out.

I got the hairdryer opened up the viv and warmed the food wafting in the smell. He was going nuts and I could see that he was ready for his dinner.

I put in the food and he struck and recoiled under his log. I was so happy so just shut up the viv and left him to it.

Later when I checked he had brought the food out and left in on the side and seemed to be on the prowl again. Tried re heating but he wasnt interested.

Left it in the viv overnight to get up this morning and find it still there.

Whislt having my cup of coffee and mulling over the situation, I realised that I had made one huge mistake the food I had given him was a rat not a mouse!!!!!

I'm so angry at myself for not realising this at the time, but I think I was in such a hurry to get the food in the viv before he decided to hide out that I didnt realise what I was taking out of the freezer.

Hopefully, this is just a small set back and next time when he's offered he will strike and eat (the correct food).

I'm just so annoyed that I put him through the torment.

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kashie, i would give it the minimum time of three days and do it again...

with a mouse...similar happened to me the other day and Oscar came out so luckily i had the minging mouse that i used to scent a rat with and he struck and took it..

the previous day he had refused...if you feel he would go for it then i would to...lol..

See if you can get hold of some multis...and try him with one of those as they tend to be bigger than mice...well when they are grown up...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was on small mice in the shop - I'm so annoyed that I got the wrong food out.

Do you think it's positive sign though that he struck??

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kashie

He was on small mice in the shop - I'm so annoyed that I got the wrong food out.

yes i do think so....he is probably hungry....

i would do the whole hairdryer thing again..i do it with all mine even though the rat is ready, i just open the viv about an inch and the hair dry close to them, gets them into feeding mode normally..

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 06/08/2009 12:19:40
Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get hold of some multis - but I'm without a car at the moment so havent been able to visit tom (the breeder). I usually pop in once a week to check on what he has in the shop and last time he did mention that he had ordered some multis. So, if all else fails in the next week, then multis will be the road to follow.

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can get hold of some multis - but I'm without a car at the moment so havent been able to visit tom (the breeder). I usually pop in once a week to check on what he has in the shop and last time he did mention that he had ordered some multis. So, if all else fails in the next week, then multis will be the road to follow.

Kash go here on CB and put a wanted ad out...

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/wanted-requests/

there are some royal breeders not far from you so they might be able to help you out...

you will get multis cheaper than a shop

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  00:16:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like progress to me,hopefully next time he'll eat it

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five days pasted feeding time again - he struck but bashed into the mouse and it flung out of the tongs into the viv. I retreaved it and offered him again, but he kept backing off like he was afraid of it.

Tried a couple of hours later, still the same - so tried to assist, but this was so stressfull for all of us that we gave up.

He is such a beautiful thing, and I am becoming more and more concerned as each feed day passes without success.

I am without a car at the moment, so I cant take him to the shop where I got him to see if he can assist feed him for me.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

He seems to be more settled in the viv now, as he comes out every night and to explore. I wafted the mouse scent into the viv when heating with the hairdryer and he came out tasting the air in wait so he does appear to be hungry. I was wondering if his eyesight might be worse than normal??? I know that royals cant see that well anyway and albinos would be worse but it just doesent seem right that he strikes and then leaves the food????

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:36:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Has he shed recently?

It does sound like he's hungry and waiting to feed.

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No shed and he doesnt appear dull as if pre shed.

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  18:02:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its so so difficult to notice in Albinos, I think I have only ever seen it once with Cleo.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Five days pasted feeding time again - he struck but bashed into the mouse and it flung out of the tongs into the viv. I retreaved it and offered him again, but he kept backing off like he was afraid of it.

Tried a couple of hours later, still the same - so tried to assist, but this was so stressfull for all of us that we gave up.

He is such a beautiful thing, and I am becoming more and more concerned as each feed day passes without success.

I am without a car at the moment, so I cant take him to the shop where I got him to see if he can assist feed him for me.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

He seems to be more settled in the viv now, as he comes out every night and to explore. I wafted the mouse scent into the viv when heating with the hairdryer and he came out tasting the air in wait so he does appear to be hungry. I was wondering if his eyesight might be worse than normal??? I know that royals cant see that well anyway and albinos would be worse but it just doesent seem right that he strikes and then leaves the food????

Kashie, i am in a simialr boat with Oscar, been and got him some multis today as mine are miles from being ready...

when you say bashed into it do you mean like a normal strike?

maybe it needs to be warmer next time, on the head..lol....

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  22:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was like a normal strike but he bashed it out of the tongs. I took it out and re heated thinking the same as you, but he wasnt interested. It was like he was afraid of it!!

Perhaps I'm becoming too anxious, I just want him to feed so I know he's ok.

Hopefully have my car by the end of the week - so I might try and take him for a ride. See if it works. If not I'll pop him down to Tom and he can assist feed him for me.

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  07:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was like a normal strike but he bashed it out of the tongs. I took it out and re heated thinking the same as you, but he wasnt interested. It was like he was afraid of it!!

Perhaps I'm becoming too anxious, I just want him to feed so I know he's ok.

Hopefully have my car by the end of the week - so I might try and take him for a ride. See if it works. If not I'll pop him down to Tom and he can assist feed him for me.

get bigger tongs....lol...

i dropped a rat off mine once onto Peanuts head, he would not feed the next feed, backed off it...

but he is ok now..

sounds to me like your getting there with him...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  18:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, managed to get a lift today to see breeder, and ask him what he advised with Ziggy. He seemed happy that he has not lost that much weight and reckons that because he is striking it is just a matter of time.

He told me to forget about assist feeding and carry on doing what I am doing basically.

If in two weeks he still hasnt fed then he suggests trying live.

I did enquire about multis but he has just started to breed them so nothing to sell at the moment.

Feel a bit better at the thought of not having to assist, as that was really stressful.

Will update next time and thanks for all the advice. :)

00.00.15 KoiCarp
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic