New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks. I finally got my new royal today. I have a slight concern tho after getting him home. He was fine in the shop but since i put him in his tank he has seemed to be breathing rather heavily. I have him in a small fish tank with a secure lid. Inside i have a hide, water bowl and some repti bark substrate. I have this inside his viv for when he is an adult. The hygrometer is reading about 68.
Any help would be great as i am so glad i finally have him home and i dont want to have any problems.
Cheers

2.1.0 Royal - Memphis & tbc
2.0.0 Labs - Cooper & Max
1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess

shep6413
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any pics of the viv? what are temps? how old and big is the snake? humidity is a little high

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pic of his tank would help. This might sound stupid but have you got air vents in the tank!
Is it a digital hygrometer as the dials aren`t that accurate.
Also you need 2 hides, 1 for warm end and 1 for cool end.
What sort of heating have you got?

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try and put some pics up tomorrow. I have put lots of holes in the lid of the tank to allow air in. He is nearly three months old and is about 15 inches at a rough guess. I am guessing that it would not be wise to put him into the viv i have for him? it is 36x18x18 inches. The tank he is in just now is 12x10x10 inches.

1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess
Go to Top of Page

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry missed out that i have a heat mat for him at the moment. i dont have a thermostat just now coz the shop was out of stock.

1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a thermometer to measure the temp as it could be way to hot without a thermostat
I tested my heat mat without a thermostat and it got too 110 degrees

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly

Edited by - Remmy on 30/07/2009 22:52:36
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  23:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russm

sorry missed out that i have a heat mat for him at the moment. i dont have a thermostat just now coz the shop was out of stock.

congrats on your new addition...

you know you will need to get a thermostat ASAP,

what size heat mat are you using? Heat mats can get up to 120 unstatted,

It is likely that as the heat mat is unstatted that this could be causing high humidity with the reptibark, it could possibly have created a lot more humidity till it dries out...

where have you got the water bowl placed? and how are you measuring your humidity? if it is a dial one, then take it back and get your money back, cos they are not really any good for measuring anything...

How much substrate have you got over the heat mat and what temps are you getting?

also is a good idea to bake/treat that reptibark when using it, just in case there are any nasties in it...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 30/07/2009 23:27:50
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  23:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

Have you got a thermometer to measure the temp as it could be way to hot without a thermostat
I tested my heat mat without a thermostat and it got too 110 degrees

Remmy is right, the area directly on top of the heat mat may not feel so hot to you, but it will get very hot there for your royal...

it is a good idea to put your digital thermometer over the heat mat then you can see how quickly the temps rise unstatted..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  23:38:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but this is why it is advisable to get the setup right before getting the animal, going in and buying it even though the pet shop is out of stats is a bit impatient maybe? - Anyway, off my soapbox now.

As above, get a digital thermometer probe in there to find out the temps the Royal is currently being kept at.

Chances are (fingers crossed) that he is just a bit stressed from his move and will calm down. However, you need thermometers and thermostats asap and if you can't get them it might be advisable to ask if the shop can hold him until you can get sorted?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  23:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BE is right if you cant get a stat sorted asap then get the rep shop to hold onto him till it can be sorted.

Royals can get R.I.'s just as easily from being to hot as they can from being to cold, and the last thing you will want right now is a vet bill if it did go down with an RI...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

shep6413
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  00:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where do you live, someone might be able to tell you where you could get a thetmostat from

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks just a wee update on this topic. After getting in from work the snake was much better, with everything seeming as it should. I spoke to the shop i got him from and they said as there was no wheezing that it is unlikley that it was an RI plus i had not had him long enough for him to get one. They suggested that he was probably just a bit nervous in his new surroundings.
Thanks for all your input.

1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  00:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russm

Hi folks just a wee update on this topic. After getting in from work the snake was much better, with everything seeming as it should. I spoke to the shop i got him from and they said as there was no wheezing that it is unlikley that it was an RI plus i had not had him long enough for him to get one. They suggested that he was probably just a bit nervous in his new surroundings.
Thanks for all your input.

Glad all is well, but keep an eye on him and i am sure he will be fine, and dont forget the stat..

good luck with him...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

russm
Yearling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  13:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Wolf
Stat was aquired the other day and it is up and running and doing a great job along with the digital thermometer i bought.

1.1.0 Clown fish
0.0.2 Goldfish
0.2.0 Rats - Izzy & Tess
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000