feeding size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  22:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, so molly is now 320g after shed, i had been feeding her on medium size mice, 1 every five days, but i took her into my local pet shop (coast to coast, darlington) and the man in there said that she looked a little underweight and that she should be able to eat a small rat of around 35-40g, which is a massive step up. well i thought i would give it a go and what do you know, she ate it no problems,(her last meal). so i thought great. well its been almost a month since then then, she has also shed in this time, (last week and a half). offered her rats 3 times before she shed with not take, though nothing off it as looked as though she was goin to shed so i thought she was just saving up her energy for that, well she has now shed a few days back, so i tried again but she still wont take them. Do you think i shud go back to mice but get large/extra larges ones, or buy both and just try with the rats each feed?

maybe she thinks they are too big, but i know that one would easily fit in her stomach.
also temps are fine, as is hummidity

kashie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  23:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try scenting the rats with the mice and offer the rat first - if she refuses then give her the mouse. But I would offer the rat (scented) and if she doesnt take it leave it 3-4 days and offer again.

01.01.00 Whippets - Dylan and Tigger
01.01.00 AfricanGreys - Jasper and Ruby
00.00.15 KoiCarp
01.01.00 RoyalPython -Ebanks Blake and Gladysss
01.00.00 MojaveRoyal - Kelso
01.00.00 AlbinoRoyal - Ziggy
00.01.00 PastelRoyal - Phyllisss
00.01.00 SpiderRoyal - Wincey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  23:32:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If she's taken a rat already I'm sure she will again when she's ready if the setup etc hasn't changed at all.

The Pet shop was right about the food size, 10-15% of the snake's body weight is fine.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  00:13:34  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine was like that,stopped taking rats but would take a mouse straight away,so now i just put a small mouse in the bag with the rat while it's defrosting to give it a mousey smell and he takes it every time.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  07:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ill try senting it with a mouse first, should i use a small mouse and if she refuses the rat, just give her the small one then try 3-4days after or use a larger mouse and continue on a 5day feeding pattern? or not give her either?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  09:35:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feed or offer more often than every 5 days regardless.

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  18:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i tried to sent the rat with the mouse, but she knew which was which, she followed the mouse around whn i put it infront of her, and then when i put the rat infront of her she just turned her head around and backed off lol. So as it has been a while since she ate i gave her the mouse, left the rat in the viv to see if she will eat it over night as i can rly put it back in the freezer. so i will try again in 3days.

sound about right?
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Don't feed or offer more often than every 5 days regardless."

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  13:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i tried again, and again she didnt seem interested in the rat, so tried to give her the mouse, well after what felt like an hour she struck and missed it, and then think she just got fed up with it and went back into her hide.

left the rat in the viv over night, and what do you know its gone :)
so hopefully she will start feeding properly on them fingers crossed.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  18:25:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What, you tried after 3 days and she wasn't interested? - I'm shocked. Someone should have mentioned leaving it 5 days...

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  20:45:33  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

What, you tried after 3 days and she wasn't interested? - I'm shocked. Someone should have mentioned leaving it 5 days...

I'm very surprised with all them replies that nobody mentioned it. lol

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  21:48:39  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it might be that the rat pup was quite a bit bigger and that might have put her off......... can you try a smaller rat pup? i'd still persevere with the rats though

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000