Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  11:47:48  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

Heffa is going into shed.

temps were reasonable but have gone crazy

As some of you have mentioned,that you put a damp bit of kitchen roll under the hot hide, i did this yesterday and this morning, without the red light on, we found the hot temp at over 100F and the cold at 73F. The thermostat is set on 88F

Why have they suddenly gone nuts?

I have told my sis to turn the thermostat down to 84 till I get home, as I am in Bristol at the moment.

Temps at half 11 were 91.6 and 72.7

I am tring everything to control these temp and they just keep fluctuating.

GEPowditch

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  12:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a thermostat? You will cook your snake without one. If you dont, get one today and turn your heat source off until you get one. If you turn it off, make sure the room is warm.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  12:41:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How are you heating the viv, how are you measuring the temps?

I personally would not put damp kitchen towel in.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  12:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have used damp kitchen roll, but....only in a rub as a one off and it was not on any heat source...it was towards the warm end but not in it..

As the others have said, how are you measuring the temps and are you using a stat?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 13/09/2009 12:47:11
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  13:39:58  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my daughter is on way back home and has asked me to tell you the following:-
she uses the heat mat underneath and in the day she uses a red bulb if the temps are low. today only using the mat because of the temps. she has digi thermo at each end and the thermostadt probe is under the bedding under the hot hide. she wants to know if its better for her to just sray the rub rather than the damp roll to help with the shedding. she also says that she can never get the cool end higher than 77 andthat is with the bulb on. any ideas?

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  14:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pic of the setup would help. Are the mat ant bulb both on a seperate stat? Is the bulb guarded?

Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  14:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing you can possibly do to help the shedding is make a damp hide. Just get an old marg tub, cut a hole in the lid (smoothing the edges after) and put a couple of damp paper towels/damp spagnum moss in the bottom of it then put the hide in the COOL end of the viv.

As for the temperatures, as above: Are the bulb AND mat on a thermostat?

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Edited by - boze on 13/09/2009 14:36:26
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  15:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
will ask her to do pic when she gets back home for you and have text her the questions

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  15:10:24  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there is a pic under heffa's pics. the setup has not changed. the bulb is not on a stat and is guarded but bulb is 40w and only used to boost temps up when they are low as mat doesnt get cool end hot enough. she has bought a spray bottle foe extra humidity and will changs her bedding when she gets back home

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  15:14:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If the heatmat is statted and getting up to 100+F, then the thermostat is either faulty or not set up correctly.

Do not use the temperature guide on the thermostat, just adjust the thermostat until the digital thermometer is reading the correct temperature.

I'd get rid of the bulb completely personally, the heatmat should be sufficient if set up correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  15:47:42  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
georgi says she will take your advice but do you recommend she puts the stat probe directly on top of the mat outside the rub oe inside. at the moment it is inside. Shereally appreciatesall your advice and help.

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:17:02  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for all of your advice, mum has been keeping me updated.

Ok, I have cleared out the old bedding, which was damp and put everything fresh

I used to put the thermostat probe in the rub, under her hot hide, under bedding, this time, I have stuck it directly to the heat mat, and put thermo on 90.

Still waiting for it to heat up.
Thermometer probes are showing 86.5 and 72.7 (the cooler temp has not risen in 20 minutes)

I am putting some pics on here for you to see, also showing you the distance the rub is from the window.

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:23:56  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

This is rub with thermometer probes

This is rub wiv hides over thermometer probes

rub ontop of mat

mat and thermostat probe

rub in viv, wivour glass doors on, ontop of mat

viv, rub in relation to window

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  17:41:56  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Rub and temps

As you can see, the cool side is not rising, even though half of the rub in the mat.

The mat is a Habistat Vivarium mat
430x 280 mm
17" x 11"
20 watts
230 volts

Thermostat is living earth electronics
Habistat Mat sat
Max 100W
model: mat stat
max.load 0.45 amp
230 x 50 Hz

AFter 45 mins, the cool temp has now rised to 72.9

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  18:08:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The cool end will usually end up the temperature of the external air temperature when using a heat mat, as heat mats only really heat up what they are in contact with.

You could try putting the glass doors on that viv to keep some heat in.

Also, just keep turning your stat up a little until you get 90F.

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  19:59:43  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I had the thermostat on 90 and is started to rise above it, so i turned it down. and also put the thermostat probe inside the rub, stuck to the bottom with celotape and the kitchen roll bedding ontop of it.

I put the doors on the viv before I went out and when I got back, the temp was 86 H and 74 C

My dad is going to get me a professional thermostat that will control the heating rather than letting it go on and off. Hopefully I will see some considerable changes :)

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

Ok, I had the thermostat on 90 and is started to rise above it, so i turned it down.

Ignore the numbers on the thermostat, adjust the thermostat until the digital thermometer reads the right temperature.

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2009 :  21:27:59  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
right, i have put the thermostat on 88-90 and the thermometers are reaching 84.6 and 74.6

It switches off and drops to 84.1 and then comes back on to 84.6 and switches off again.

I dont wanna take any chances with it tonight and adjust it any higher as that is when it seems to get too hot.

So its defo faulty and im taking it back to the shop tomorrow.

i have shuts the glass doors completely to keep as much heat in as possible.

GEPowditch
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  07:27:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ignore what it says on the thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

Heffa
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  09:28:00  Show Profile  Click to see Heffa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im sorry, if you think im ignoring you, thats not the case.

I am tweeking the thermostat like you say, at the moment, i have got the temps, wiv the stat "flicked off" at 86H and 72.7C. It seems to be working ok at the moment, and only cools down to about 84 then "flicks on" again. The cool end temp is not adjusting though.

Having spoken to the shop. as I think the cool end thermometer is not working properly, it was playing up, by the screen turned off, then it flashed on at 45.6F and then 65F then it re-registered itself at 72.9 and occasionally drops to 72.7 but not rising.

The shop says that a 10 to 15 degree drop in temp is suitable for a ball python, is this right? As she hasnt moved to the cool end in nearly 2 days.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My cool ends go down to around 25C, I'm not sure what that is in F off the top of my head. My hot ends are 31-33C.

Edit: 25C = 77F

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000