New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimitree
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  12:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had been having problems with feeding Rex this week. I'd been leaving his food on top of the Viv to defrost and to get his senses going, which was working a treat. He would pick up the scent and would start slithering around trying to find it.

But then I'd put the food in front of him, he'd give it a good nuzzle and look around at it a bit, but then get bored! I would leave it in all night, and he would just spend all night staring at it!

So I'm thinking he obviously wants to eat, otherwise he wouldn't show any interest. I thought I'd give it another go. This time with boyfriend in tow, we headed down to the freezer to get Rex's dinner...opened the chest freezer and a waft of garlic came out (from a batch of left over Chili con carne I believe) which had infiltrated the food container. Now, I've barely any sense of smell, so I'd not noticed this, but my boyfriend did thankfully!

Thinking Rex might not be a fan of garlic, yesterday I headed down to the pet store to pick up some fresh pups. I left one on his viv to defrost, but funnily enough no initial interest. So again I was concerned he still wasn't going to eat...WRONG!

I wiggled the pup infront of his nose and BANG! I've never seen him move so fast. I couldn't believe it, and was so pleased and relieved, not only because he'd eaten but also because it was his first strike feed.

I'm guessing the moral of the story here being is contaminated food could be a reason for a snake not to feed, which is why I thought I would share this little story. (I'm not sure if it has been brought up before.)

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  13:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a good reason to have a dedicated freezer full of mice and rats lol

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

kimitree
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  13:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd need a few more snakes to warrant a separate freezer!

So I think what you're saying is that I need more snakes! LOL! Great idea!

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
642 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  18:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

a good reason to have a dedicated freezer full of mice and rats lol

Thats ok if you have as many snakes as you GP, a seperate freezer full off rats would last me a liftime

1.0.0 Ghost corn Tynan
0.1.0 Normal corn Sully
0.1.0 Royal Tilly
Go to Top of Page

matty198111
Yearling

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  22:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what are you saying i should not give them this chilli con fluffy that ive made for there tea tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  22:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I would need a few more snakes to justify a new freezer too lol, keep mine in an airtight tupperware box, but what a shame they don't like haute cuisine - lol good point well made though :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000