Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:28:07  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've had a read through the DIY section & had some inspiration (esp. a rack).

There was something I was looking for there but as yet there is not a DIY guide for it...... Just wondering if it is possible to make your own bulb guard. They cost around £15-£20 and so far as I can tell its just some mesh that you can get from a builder's yard for £7?

On Blackecho's how to build a viv he has made his own from b&q plastic mesh. Although that is for a reptile heater (bulbs get hotter?) is the principle the same for a bulb guard, except to use metal mesh i.e. £7 from builder's/garden centre?

R.I.P Chester

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:29:31  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, if it's not possible for any reason (strength compramised compared to purpose built ones) can anyone suggest where to get them cheaper than £15?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:46:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just so that you know, its not my guide, I just posted it in there.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  22:09:11  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok. Just a point of reference.... So what you think?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  06:48:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can make your own yes, if you're any good at that sort of thing. Make sure its fairly strong though as RP's are known to wrap themselves around them. Or Dave on here sells them, hinged for easy access to the bulb for about £15.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok Thanks Piers. I posted on Dave'e order/enquiry type thread. Hopefully he'll email me soon with price. I'm not too bad at DIY and my dad has a treasure trove of tools in his shed! What age/size in your opinion would you say I need to make switch between heat mat & infrared? He's about 2 and 80-90cms & 1.1KG?

He did his first shed for me last night! ;-> it came off in half but think that was just cuz it tore on hide! He made hell of a mess with substrate though ;-<

Thanks

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:23:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say if you've got a mat inside a viv now you need to get rid asap.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:10:38  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok. I've ordered a bulb guard from Dave. I've priced up the rest from ebay and 888 so will order them too.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the payment thanks.
What other bits are you needing?
I can supply ceramic bulb holders, heat resistant cable and air vents at the moment.

Plenty of Retics and Burms
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:29:40  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Need bulb holder, cable, bulb, stat!

Got it priced up on ebay & 888 (didn't know u did them!) Not fussed out of ceramic or infra red.

Microclimate B1 dimmer stat = £36.75
50w inrfa red bulb = £ 5.97
creamic bulb holder & cable = £ 6.10
-------
£48.82

Is that any good? Obviously if I got ceramic bulb, the bulb would be more but could buy a pulse stat instead of dimmer which will be cheaper, so still work out £50 ish (+ the £15 I paid you, which I need either way= £65 total).

So what price could you supply what I need? And when can send as I've learned that I need to use bulb set up cuz of the viv i'm using and the size of snake ^ (see above).

Thanks Dave & Piers.

#EDIT# The above prices I put above includes delivery.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 04/11/2009 20:31:30
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can supply the holder and cable for £4
I dont have any thermostats or bulbs in stock at the moment.
I expect to be sending the guard out tomorrow by 1st class recorded and can add the holder and cable with it.
cheers
Dave

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:35:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/exotics/temperature-control-184-c.asp

Habistat Dimming Stat £35 inc delivery.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:40:16  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiles-ink

I can supply the holder and cable for £4
I dont have any thermostats or bulbs in stock at the moment.
I expect to be sending the guard out tomorrow by 1st class recorded and can add the holder and cable with it.
cheers
Dave

Thats fine, just thought I'd see what you did have. I just sent £4 to your paypal. Thats fine to send to me all as one tomorrow 1st class rec!

Thanks.

Ben

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:41:58  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Piers. Just ordered that stat as well. I just need to order a bulb now...... ceramic or infra red? Am I right in thinking your personal pref is infrared?

Cheers for link. Sorry Im a pain.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it thanks

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're no pain at all, that's what the forum is for.

There's little to choose between IR and Ceramic imo. I like the IR as you get some light for the viv too.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Thanks. I was thinking that too (even though chester can't see it much, it'll allow more light to see clearly the back of the viv).

50w ok?

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:24:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I a 3' viv I use 60W or 75W.

Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok. 75w ordered. Thanks Piers.

As you may know, he shed last night. I took that out his viv this morning. I got him out just now (was suited up in thick coat & gloves) and managed to get him out for hold while girlfriend spot cleaned him (didn't know they poohed so big, loads compared to corns!), relocated the thermometer probe (again) and replaced water. He struck once, thin air not me, but for the 5-10 mins girlfriend took to clean the viv that was all the drama he made!

Progress!

Just wanted to share that with you as you have given me lots of help last couple weeks & it looks like its working!

Thanks,

Ben

PS. The "burn" <(pink bit, not sure a burn, more "missing scales") he had when bought him looks a bit sore now he's shed. Its very small, 3 scales long,and I touched near it gently and he didn't seem bothered, I'll try get photo of it tomo before his feed.... should be ok? Or shall I take to vet or put something on it?

#EDIT# Its on the top of his body so causes no problems in respect of putting his body weight on it to move. He does seem to move ok (doesn't favour it). Not sure how occured on top of him? A fight rather than burn? He was housed with another royal @ the store (bad idea) but the rack system was "out the back" of the shop so didn't see the viv he was in/type of heating.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 05/11/2009 00:34:06
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  01:17:51  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Reference to cut/burn above: Tamodine? You'll prob want photo, so as I said I'll get that tomorrow.

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  06:55:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tamodine yes or you could specifically speak to Gingerpony on here, she is our health expert.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000