Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AllyHoney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Purchased a baby Royal just over 1 week ago from a breeder, left him alone without being handled for 1 week and then fed him, he fed immediately no problems and we then left him a further 2 days without touching him.

I have just gone to try to take him out and he is hissing at me, he has a hidey hole with a hole in the top that can removed but it is a self contained hole and so I am trying to lift him out. Should I be waiting for him to come out first, is it all just warning and chances he won't bite??

I'm not scared (ish!) that he'll bite, more concerned that I'll stress him.

Advice please!

Thanks

Ally

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:22:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Usually its just a warning, but you could try waiting until he comes out if it makes you feel better.

Go to Top of Page

AllyHoney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its the first time of handling since holding him at the breeders so will probably be a coward and wait till he's out! Thanks for the quick reply!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:26:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have hides which you can just lift off the snake, so its easier.

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:26:27  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All my baby Royals hiss and swing around as if they was going to bite me but its all talk just grab them and they will be fine once there in your hand (well mine are) you should be ok just be confident

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:51:32  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I find with my little devil that if he's gonna bite he'll just bite! Kind of shoot first ask questions later. Its probably just a warning to try to put you off him (his bark will probably be worse than his bite). I'm sure after a gentle hold or two he'll be fine. Mine is settling more as well. He is 2 yrs old so has taken more time to settle than yours is likely to. Good luck. You can always wear gardening gloves if you want to be sure.

As BlackEcho mentioned, a simple bottomless hide with an entrance is fine for them so you can lift it if needed. A cheaper way to get them is to make one from salt dough using this link:

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1041

I haven't as yet made one as frustratingly, I came across the thread one day after I made an order for some ExoTerra ones! I've heard they are great and very durable.

R.I.P Chester

Edited by - bengy_s on 06/11/2009 20:56:00
Go to Top of Page

AllyHoney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  23:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!! Guess what the kids and I are making tomorrow!! Bring on the salt dough! Think I'll be happier being able to lift the hide away completely rather than having to reach into a cramped space to remove Hissy (the snakes name, named I have to say by a 4 year old who refuses to change his mind!). Gives me more of a fighting chance to grab the right bit to avoid a bite.......
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  23:25:08  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good move and good name! I'm pleased you find it useful and you have some hired help (though I can't take credit for the recipe, just pointing in the right direction!) Please let me know how it goes with making them, and some photos of the finished product will be great!

Ben

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  07:53:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good direction Ben, good luck Ally

Just remember, they like to be cramped, so giving them a nice big house might look good to you, but won't feel secure to them. Being able to touch all sides and the roof when they curl up is perfect to them.

Go to Top of Page

AllyHoney
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  22:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have handled him twice a day since the first hiss and although he seems quite nervous he hasn't once gone for us. Ran out of time this weekend for the salt dough hide so shall be making one next weekend......pictures to follow......thanks for the comments tho x
Go to Top of Page

bengy_s
Yearling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  23:04:11  Show Profile  Send bengy_s an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the comment Piers- had to make up for my 130g mouse typo!

Ally that is great news he is coming around, but bad because you will have to rename him now!

Yer piccy's will be cool for the hides (& snake). I wanna make some but there isn't really a need for me at the mo as like I said before- I bought some hides before I came across the recipe!

R.I.P Chester
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  21:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllyHoney

have handled him twice a day since the first hiss and although he seems quite nervous he hasn't once gone for us. Ran out of time this weekend for the salt dough hide so shall be making one next weekend......pictures to follow......thanks for the comments tho x

Its easier to go to the supermarket and get some china bowls for about £2 each. Get a tile saw and some dark spray paint. The salt dough ones take an age and a half to cook properly, around 8 - 10 hours.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  22:15:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000