New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  01:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A week ago my house mate and I received an approximately 2 year old female royal, she's amazinly tame and beautiful. We got her weighed today to buy rats for her. She was 1356 grams. So we bought a 80 gram small rat for her to see how see got on. Well she didnt strike but she has eaten it with a fair bit of effort though I might add. She ate the rat bum first but had the tail in the corner of her mouth and musta squeezed it while I wasn't looking and its guts popped out :-S its made a right mess in the tank there's blood everywhere Cos of her dragging it round.
What am I supposed to do now Cos I can't surely leave that mess in there for long can I, its on the tank walls and on the floor in her hide.
Thanks

P.s. ill promise ill post some pics up for you lot tomorrow ish.

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  08:22:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you've gotta clean then you've gotta clean............just try to keep handling to a bare minimum to move her into a tub or something while you clear up the mess in the viv

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  15:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd leave it till tonight then just pop her into a rub and set to work as soon as its done put her back in no handling and leave her itsjust one of them things ......... that y i do mine in a rub or on the floor (laminate ) easy to clean when they bk in . x x

Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I did in the end. Got her out this mornin and she went straight into the rub, and in no time she was back into a nice clean tank. Felt bad for my mate having to sleep nin the same room as her tank and it smelling of rat guts haha.
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just one of those things you did it right :)

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  16:10:59  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
did it look something like this?:

Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  16:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah man just like that haha. Just the blood had soaked in Cos we only got her on kitchen roll lol.
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  18:21:22  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lmaoo ice pic karl :P that nearly happened to me. my royal striked for the rat and had a hold of it then let go, so i put it bk in the water to hwarm up a bit more give it to her again an when she was squeezing it i could see some guts coming through the hole where here teeth had been n i was thinking the worst lol but as i looked on as he was eating it it hadent come out anymore lol. lucky me :)

you no when yo weight the snake and you work out what food togive her what weight rat should i get for a approx 411 gram snake? i am feeding him a medium mouse or 2 rat fluffs, i am trying to get him off the habbit off eating just mice and it is working so after this batch of mice im just going to buy rats :)
Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  22:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I normally work from 10 to 15% of the weight of the snake so id say around the 40 to 50 gram mark that's usually a rat weiner size. Nice one getting it on rats, mine transfered Nicely, Cos by the sounds of it it can be pretty hard to get them to do it.
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  18:18:57  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so a rat fluff is a size smaller than a rat wiener, so i ned to up my rat fuffs to a weiner? i ahve been feeding him 2 rat fluffs 5 days then a medium mouse on the 10th then 2 rat fluffs on the 15th day ect.
Go to Top of Page

milvstrana
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the weight of the both the rat fluffs, which would be about right to be honest. A rat Weiner would be the next weight and size up so you'd only have to do one feed. Normally for a snake of your size I'd do a small rat weiner every 7 days.
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  17:56:30  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thnx mate ill see how he gets on with a rat wiener :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000