Royal Python - General Keeping information
 when to extend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  13:10:16  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello guys and girls,

i have my snake in a 4ft x 1 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 ft but it has a peice of ply in the middle to make it 2 ft insted of 4 until he grew abit, i was wondering when you think the best time to move the ply wall out to make it the full 4 ft? he must be about 2 1/2 feet last time a measured him he was around 2 ft i havent measured him in a while as its so hard lmaoo. i try and get a measure of him later on, just out of curiosity do any of your snakes just move from hide to hide? cause for the 1st 3- 4 months i had him for, he was always moochin around of a nite, and its like hes got bored of moochin round lol but hes alwasy dead active when i get im out n stuff always lookin round.

chris

Dibzy-Time
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  13:12:59  Show Profile  Click to see Dibzy-Time's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When i had spike my male royal, he would just stay in one hide but be active when he was out.
I had him in a 4 ft when he was about a ft long so should be ok to take it out now actually. hope i helped :)

DT
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  13:48:58  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i thought it mite have been ok aswl :) just wanted to make sure everone thought it was :) i need to ge some more stuff to pack it out 1st, some more plants n more loggs :)
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  14:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be honest i would keep it the way you have it for a good while yet. When ever your snake is the same lenght, as the lenght and depth of your viv added together.then you could quiet happily give him a bit more room. So by my reckoning he has another 1ft at least to grow. Royals like smaller spaces and get stressed by large open space, the fact that he is less active suggests that he is quite happy were he is.
It could be another year before you need to give him more space. If you think that it is a waste of a large viv , and want to use the space. you could always get another snake for the other side

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spor

to be honest i would keep it the way you have it for a good while yet. When ever your snake is the same lenght, as the lenght and depth of your viv added together.then you could quiet happily give him a bit more room. So by my reckoning he has another 1ft at least to grow. Royals like smaller spaces and get stressed by large open space, the fact that he is less active suggests that he is quite happy were he is.
It could be another year before you need to give him more space. If you think that it is a waste of a large viv , and want to use the space. you could always get another snake for the other side

What he said ^^^^ :)
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:05:33  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok sounds like a plan. so look to extend when is about 3ft?ill have to get a propper measure on him. how do you peeps measure your snake :P i am looking to buy an albino. but there about £500 around my area and i would like a female just incase i wanted to breed them :) to make my money back.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
812 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have the room for your albino next the other snake lol noe excuses for not getting her

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons (Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Gecko (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Fudge, Sox, Raven & Titch)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  20:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i measure the lenght of there shed skin just to avoid any stress on snake. or if i'm planning a head to measure lay a fabric measuring tape out on the ground and set the snake down beside it . when the snake starts to mve and striaghting out you can get a good idea of the lenght.

you might find that in a couple of month you might get your albino a wee bit cheaper if there is a breeder near you are you can make contact with one.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  16:13:04  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In fairness a Royal COULD spend it's life in the 2ft section. It's only if you wanna open it all up and pack it out with plenty of hides/rocks/plants etc that it would be worth extending. personally I would just add a second snake to the other side (after quarantine)

Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  18:15:03  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thnx for all the help everyone. karl or anyone for that matter how do you quarentine a snake and how do you no when it would be ready to add to the otherside?
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  23:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
basically quarentine involves keeping it in a seperate area/room from your other snakes. For a duration of time.(the time is something that will vary with different people from 6-8weeks to 3-6months) The reason for the quarentine is to allow you the oppurtunity to make sure that the snake is in good health.( no mite, ticks RI's etc) and can not pass infections of any kind on to other snakes that you have. Its important to make sure that you use seperate untinsils for the quarentined animals. For eg there is not point quarentining an animal if you use the same feeding tongs as for the other animals. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will be able to give you advice on the matter as well.

are you thinking now of getting a new snake for the other side of your 4ft viv.?

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

heaton177
Yearling

204 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  18:15:34  Show Profile  Click to see heaton177's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yer lol ive always wanted a female albino royal but i have the box room in my house so i dont have alot of space so if i could use the otherside of the viv would be great n maybe make a custom one later on if i feel they have little space :)

dont think the gf wuld like me to get another snake but oh well :) she will grow to like them lool
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000