New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  21:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching TV a few nights ago and an and for HSBC bank came on where it features a family moving from Malaysia to America. But before they go they release their pet snake into the garden.

Over the last couple of days it is something that has just being bugging me. and i strong feel like contacting the banks advertising department.

has anyone else seen this advertisment and have an opinion they would like to share?

and before some one says " i know its not real"! but its the fact that it is showing happen as if this is a normal thing to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqcCWB8WtYE&feature=player_embedded#!

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
1.0.0 Yellow Bellied Turtle

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:07:26  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes i have the one where they let the snake go and then when they get to new house they give the kid a bearded dragon ??

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a new advert, been around for quite a few months. Frankly I cant see how it could bother someone.

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mischang

yes i have the one where they let the snake go and then when they get to new house they give the kid a bearded dragon ??

yeah thats the one.

what it is that bothers me about it is that they are releasing an animal/pet into the wild, which is not the done thing. no care for indigenous species or for the animal its self.

It looks like a royal for the quick look you get. not sure if there is a indigenous population of royals in Malaysia.

I know it may seem something small to get bothered about but its the principle of it. If everyone just let there pets loose to the wild when they couldn't care for it anymore, what a mess that would be.

they should have had a person in a van with animal fostering services on the side of it arrive to collect the snake.

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  22:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are native to West Africa.

The advert isnt saying "release your pets, its an easy way out of having the responsibility", its saying "use our bank".

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  23:10:20  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah sort of spor can under stand where your coming from but i wouldnt go as far as complaining about thats i myself would have to agree with Matty18714

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  06:57:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe in Malaysia it is commonplace? - Aren't HSBC adverts usually to do with local knowledge?

Go to Top of Page

GirlHarry
Hatchling

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  09:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, i don't like it either spor. The thing i'm a bit worried about is maybe someone seeing it and thinking 'oh, so i can release my snake into the wild' [if they're thinking of getting rid of it somehow].

Blackecho - yup, some cracking local knowledge being shown there!

0.1.0 Albino Nelson's Milk Snake (Strawbs)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Velvet)
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  10:22:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know enough about Malaysia to comment.

Go to Top of Page

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i think that although its only an advert and not to be taken too seriously, there will always be some numpty out there that might think, "hey, im getting kind of fed up with looking after my royal i think i'll let it go in the back garden, cos that advert says its ok" but these companies cant cut every little thing out like this just because a handfull of divs that havent got two brain cells to rub together!

reikiangel 30 kent

0.1.0 royal python (arabella)
1.1.0 cats (elle and merlin)
0.0.2 giant african land snails (spongebob and gary)
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  09:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you may be overreacting a bit. People arent going to be like: "That advert for HSBC did it so it must be ok..." are they now? It is an advert after all and most people dont look to adverts for pet advice...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  09:55:54  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
adverts teach me so much, like KFC bread there chicken daily and tesco class a weekly shop being cheaper than asda because someone brought a can of coke.

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  21:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok some of you think I am over reacting but and some can kind of see where i am coming from. below is basically what i have send to HSBC. i'll let you know if they reply.

Dear Sir,

I wish to raise a very real concern about one of your advertisements that is currently being aired on European television.

The Ad is about a family moving from Malaysia to America. My concern with this advert is, that for some reason the father of the family releases a pet snake into their back garden before they leave.

Animals/pets should not be released to the wild unless done so by professional animal conservationists. The Royal Python, which appears to be the snake featured, is not an indigenous species to Malaysia and doing such a thing could have a serious effect on the native species.

Like what has happened in the Everglades where owners of Burmese Pythons have released them to the wild.

I am aware that it is only and advert, and that the snake is not really being released. However it is the principle. Your advert is to advertise the banks services and I do not see how this can help or why it needs to be in the advert. I believe it to be quite irresponsible of yourselves to show/feature such a thing in the advertisement.

Below I have cut and paste a paragraph from your website. I would ask you to read it again and then ask yourselves this question. How can the same company produce and air an advertisement showing the release of a non indigenous species to the wild.?

Responsibility
The environmental issue highlighted in 'Responsibility' is a very real concern for governments and charities around the world. At least 300,000 dolphins die every year caught in fishing nets. The focus on the human face of the problem of 'cetacean by-catch' reflects HSBC's long-standing commitment to both the environment sustainability issues. As Group Chairman Stephen Green puts it, sustainability is "central to our business operations and at the heart of the way we work with our clients across the world”. This spot manages to capture the ethical decisions faced by individuals and corporations alike.

I would appreciate a response to this email.

Regards

Sean Paul O'Rawe

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  21:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for any one not aware of the burmese python issue in the everglades here is a link
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0603_040603_invasivespecies.html

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cant really link the problem of non-native burms in florida to the 2 second clip of a bloke holding a royal in a bank advert.

Go to Top of Page

reikiangel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  17:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no boze, seriously, there are a some people out there that ARE that thick.

reikiangel 30 kent

0.1.0 royal python (arabella)
1.1.0 cats (elle and merlin)
0.0.2 giant african land snails (spongebob and gary)
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  23:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reikiangel

no boze, seriously, there are a some people out there that ARE that thick.

Aye, and those people are going to make an arse of their lives regardless...

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page

spor
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1226 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  22:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol

0.4.0 Royal Python
1.0.0 Pastel Royal
0.1.0 Spider Royal
1.0.0 Normal Stripe Corn
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like your not the only one annoyed by this Spor:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/general-herp-chat/52677-hsbc-advert.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/jun/13/hsbc-advert-hard-sell

I agree though- we get loads of emails from people wanting to release their snakes into the wild. Some people really are that daft!

Thing with advertising is that most people don't take much notice of it, but some do. Usually the same kind of people who watch reality TV and get Girl's Aloud to number 1.

Go to Top of Page

mischang
Yearling

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Click to see mischang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that email is very good will be following this thread !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000