Is it possible to over-shed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  18:41:50  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I was quite disappointed yesterday when Bruce took his pre-rat mouse with no problem but refused his actual rat afterwards. Sniffed at it, even nose poked it once or twice, contemplated it from striking position for a minute or two before meandering back to his hide. I left it in the tank overnight as I have done with success on previous occasions, but alas 5am this morning it was still there.
However during removal I realised that Mr Bruce's eyes have gone a familiar shade of blue! So I'm liking to think that this is why he refused the rat, not that he was just being an awkward bugger after 3 weeks of succesful rat-eating.

Now I know shedding cycles vary, but this is only 22 days or so since his last! And the one before that was about 25 days - so that's 3 times since he's come home with me.
Is this unusually frequent? And if so, does it mean anything in particular that I should be worried about? He seems in fine fettle - no missed feeds until yesterday (and even then he took the mouse); looks to have grown (I will weigh him after this shed to see how much he has actually grown); seems to be enjoying his handling sessions more than he used to - so any thoughts? I figured maybe he is just having a growth spurts of sorts since moving in with me but maybe that's just silly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts guys

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).

Edited by - AlannaJohan on 25/07/2010 18:42:15

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  20:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its fine, one of mine shed twice in a month. It just depends on how they grow.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  10:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just had an 09 black pastel shed twice with a fortnight gap so although not usual they do sometimes do this especially if they are in a growth spurt or post mite treatment

Go to Top of Page

AlannaJohan
Yearling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  15:04:46  Show Profile  Visit AlannaJohan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reassurance guys! I thought as much being as I can visually see he's grown, but not having much experience I'd always rather check

Alanna
With Maya, Stan & Lucie (Alaskan Malamutes), Bruce (Royal Python) and Keith (fiance, lol).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000