Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  09:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice set-up!

Congrats on the new baby. That pattern on her is cool!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  13:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comment removed by Administrator.

Please refer to Forum Guidelines: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2224

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  16:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what they say - you can't please 'em all ...

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  19:10:47  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think it looks really good and there is plenty of secure places for him to hide in

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  19:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just love the way that he's gone out of his way to recreate the natural flora anf faunae of Western Africa :-)

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  20:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roly

Yeah, I just love the way that he's gone out of his way to recreate the natural flora anf faunae of Western Africa :-)

Hey up, there's always one eh lol ...

Edited by - n/a on 16/11/2010 20:09:33
Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  22:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rofl, a tarts boudoir ehh, wouldnt know never been in one myself, but yeh the red light is a little red, on a positive note it keeps the viv at the correct temps.

:( u meen theres no jungle vine and ivy style stuff in west africa my dreams are shattered :(

this is a temp/growing viv the fauna is in no way meant to represent west africa, it is meant to provide lots of hides and protection for a young royal that may otherwise feel stressed in a large open area. were hoping to make her bigger viv more natural to west africa (minus dirt burrows) when she is an adult and large enough

Thanks for the comments and welcomes everyone else

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  07:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

im sorry but not everyone wants to recreate a natural viv. it doest have to be the same as what it is in the wild as they have never expierienced it. as long as the viv is suitable and has plenty of hides, plenty of shelter, then does it really matter what it looks like??

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  13:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brett1980this is a temp/growing viv the fauna is in no way meant to represent west africa, it is meant to provide lots of hides and protection for a young royal that may otherwise feel stressed in a large open area. were hoping to make her bigger viv more natural to west africa (minus dirt burrows) when she is an adult and large enough

I actually have considered the feasibility of a vivarium of enough depth to allow the bottom third to be filled with earth and have artificial burrows integrated to give a below ground environment as well as above it. In fact, i'm planning one - but its still back of a fag packet stuff at the moment.

Oh, and Danny, I look forward to your comprehensive paper on studies you've undertaken which prove once and for all that captive bred animals have no instinctive imprint of what a natural environment would be for their species....

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  13:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:

Hey up, there's always one eh lol ...

i see what u meen

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comment removed by Administrator.

Please refer to Forum Guidelines: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2224

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  16:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the end of the day its not about what you or i think, its about what is right for the snake, there is nothing poor about the snake and at 3 months old it is right to provide plenty of cover and places to hide to help them feel safe and un-stressed, this has been achieved with hides and plenty of foliage to break up the open space. While it may be natural to throw some dirt in there and create underground hides this is totally inpractical on a multitude of fronts.

stop trolling for attention and i think the saying "if you havnt got anything good to say dont say anything" fits best. Thats not to say if there is something detrimental to the health of my snake dont say anything, on the contary pls do, but derogatory and demeaning comments have no place.

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  16:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brett1980

At the end of the day its not about what you or i think, its about what is right for the snake, there is nothing poor about the snake and at 3 months old it is right to provide plenty of cover and places to hide to help them feel safe and un-stressed, this has been achieved with hides and plenty of foliage to break up the open space. While it may be natural to throw some dirt in there and create underground hides this is totally inpractical on a multitude of fronts.

stop trolling for attention and i think the saying "if you havnt got anything good to say dont say anything" fits best. Thats not to say if there is something detrimental to the health of my snake dont say anything, on the contary pls do, but derogatory and demeaning comments have no place.

Hear hear.

Actually, if you use aspen substrate you can create underground burrows. Just get a few kitchen roll inners and heap the aspen on top - instant inviting 'caves'. Don't know what you'd use when the snake got bigger, though, but there must be something that could be utilised. Snakes in the wild will utilise just about anything. My corn snake book features a photograph of a wild fox snake curled snugly up in a discarded carpet. Snakes don't give a toss as long as they're comfortable!

Edited by - n/a on 17/11/2010 16:55:02
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  17:14:32  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Edited

(not at all saying that keeping a royal in a rub is inapropriate as they are very handy and i am not dising the way breeders keep royals, i think it is very practicle the way they do it and there snakes thrive in it and they have no problems)

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 17/11/2010 17:20:02
Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  22:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well changing topic :D first feed today took a little bit of time, she didnt like been fed in a faun outside the viv, but in the viv :D i got a real nice strike, 5 mins of making sure the dead thing was really dead and then down the hatch.

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  22:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Is she on mice or rats? I tried Shahi with a rat today and got panic in his feeding rub and a couple of strikes but no takes when he was in his hollow bamboo (I'm trying to change him on to rats.) He took a mouse in his viv though - they do like being on home ground, don't they? The little git is training me, I swear it!

I think they know we'll do what they want us to! Congrats again.

Go to Top of Page

Brett1980
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  23:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
shes on black small mice atm, is rat better to feed, or is it a case of when shes an adult a rat will be more suited to her size?

0.1.0 royal python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  23:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brett1980

shes on black small mice atm, is rat better to feed, or is it a case of when shes an adult a rat will be more suited to her size?

Both. Rats contain more nutrition for royals; also when a royal is mature a rat is more appropriate to their size than several mice. It's said that because of this a royal should be started on rats, because it can get addicted to mice. When I got Shahi he was allegedly feeding on small mice; it took him a while to get started again, and so although I'd started on this forum by then and learned about rats being better, it took me up till now to introduce him to rats ... I fear he may remain a mouse junkie! lol.

The converse is the rule for corns - keep them on mice and don't let them get addicted to rats! One of my corns mopped up Shahi's refused rats but got a big mouse for her last feed ... don't think the gannet noticed!

I can see the sense of getting a larger snake accustomed to a larger size prey - and rats, apparently, have a greater fat content which is apparently appropriate to royal requirements. However, in the wild they may often prey on multimammates ... a large multimammate is as long as a rat weaner ... umm... rocket science.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to keep on trying to get him on to rats, but if he insists on mice ... well I know a good cheap frozen supplier!

Sorry this is so inconclusive. The general rule is, rats are better. And loads of people have no trouble at all changing over.

Handy tip - if you want to buy another snake, get a rat-eating gannet to recycle any refused rats!

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  07:41:07  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, bullet was always fed on mice until i got bow, i honsetly dont think he notices a difference because he always strikes at them and eats them iwthout any hesitation lol
bow was originally fed on mice by the breeder but before she came to me the breeder fed her a few rats to see if she would take and she did, but i dont know what she prefers as she has not eaten with me yet

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 18/11/2010 18:09:12
Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  11:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edited
You might not think its practicle (Sp!) and it might well not be, however, as I said, i'm working on it. Thats what I do, solve problems, i'm an engineer. I prefer not to give in at the first sign of difficulty as I believe that overcoming practical difficulties are very fulfilling. Engineers also rely on empirical data to draw their conclusions which is why I invited your proof on your claim (assumptions?)and wouldn't make such claims myself unless I was absolutely sure about them. It may have been done in a way that you felt threatening, and if so, I apologise, however, its not my fault if your sense of humour is lacking.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000