New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullysteve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for not introducing myself....(i am not a royal owner)

Most of you will know me from the other forums.

See the pic below. This pic is of my mates royal for which he has kept in a glass tank with an UNSTATTED MAT. Even though i have told him it needs to be statted, the pet shop said otherwise. (usual pet shop Cow Poo).

Can this otherwise be blister disease ?

0.1 BCI Nicaraguan CB10
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.0 Coastal Carpet python (CB08)
0.1 Irian jaya x coastal Carpet python CB10
2.3 Ball Pythons (Pinstripe + Pastel + Bumblebee + 2 Normal)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  20:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what you say and my limited medical knowledge, I'd say a burn, poor little devil. Royals can't sense heat in their bodies as keenly - it's the heat pits below their noses that they use ... that's why they can burn badly (as can all snakes) if allowed access to unstatted heat mats/unguarded bulbs.

The experts on here can advise, or tell your mate to get the snake to the vet's.

Edit - damn what am i saying - due to the thermal blocking that can be caused by a large bodied snake lying on a heat mat, which may cause even a statted mat to malfunction and overheat, a royal is best with a guarded infra-red bulb with a dimmer stat, if your mate would be willing to change set-up.

Sorry - edit again, a heat mat can be used for a royal underneath a rub owing to space between rub floor and mat. Used in a tank or viv, a mat is not a good idea for any royal larger than hatchling size.

Edited by - n/a on 02/12/2010 21:16:41
Go to Top of Page

siaddy23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres what google bought up: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Snakes-3545/treat-burns-ball-python.htm

Minor burns should be cleansed daily with hydrogen peroxide or diluted Betadine and covered with a triple antibiotic ointment during healing. Obviously you should remove the heat source until the snake heals. In the meantime use a heat lamp. Serious burns should be seen by a vet experienced in reptile care to determine the extent of tissue damage and treat possible dehydration.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:24:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Vets and stat, asap.

Go to Top of Page

siaddy23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also from the picture and studying other pictures that definetly looks like a burn and not at all like blister disease

Heres a pic of blister disease

Edited by - siaddy23 on 02/12/2010 21:28:37
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and put it on kitchen roll or similar so not to irritate or damage further the wound

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:32:11  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

Sorry for not introducing myself....(i am not a royal owner)

Most of you will know me from the other forums.

See the pic below. This pic is of my mates royal for which he has kept in a glass tank with an UNSTATTED MAT. Even though i have told him it needs to be statted, the pet shop said otherwise. (usual pet shop Cow Poo).

Can this otherwise be blister disease ?

Definately a burn, no chance that it's blister disease.
People never learn, we all know a lot of pet shops talk trash about not needing a stat with a mat. But it doesn't take much researching on sites like this 1 to see the damage caused by unstatted mats.
It makes me really
My Trinity was burnt the same way by a friend of mine before i bought her off of him.
He didn't want to pay £25 for a stat, but ended up paying about £120 vet bill instead. I would definately get it to a vet asap.

Edited by - AddicksGlenn on 02/12/2010 21:34:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we wouldn't buy a cooker, a gas fire, or an electric blanket without a heat control k*** (may I say that, mods, or must I say adjusting twiddly device?)

Facetiousness apart, why on earth do they still manufacture these heat mats without thermal controls?

Vexed question, I realise ...

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to aggree with you all. I have told him time after time, but he insists on listening to the pet shop (thinking they are he experts).

He did have a stat and the pet shop told him to turn it off cos at the time it wasnt eating and the shop put it down to being too cold WTF!

He rang the shop and sent the same picture to them. He said it was blister disease as he has recently changed his substrate to wood chippings from aspen.

this is another confirmation to me that pet shops are 90% wrong!

I suppose its not rocket science.

Oh and....BATS...this is where you have been hiding!!!

0.1 BCI Nicaraguan CB10

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest pic. Again your comments are welcome..

0.1 BCI Nicaraguan CB10

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have to aggree with you all. I have told him time after time, but he insists on listening to the pet shop (thinking they are he experts).

He did have a stat and the pet shop told him to turn it off cos at the time it wasnt eating and the shop put it down to being too cold WTF!

He rang the shop and sent the same picture to them. He said it was blister disease as he has recently changed his substrate to wood chippings from aspen.

this is another confirmation to me that pet shops are 90% wrong!

I suppose its not rocket science.

Oh and....BATS...this is where you have been hiding!!!

Hi Steve! Not hiding... just had a busy summer and TRP was nice and comfortable to keep up with. Plus I like it.

But about your mate and his snake. Sounds like he should buy a rub (they're cheap enough) and set up the statted mat with that (if vet and experts on here agree) and use kitchen roll, as has been said. Yes, I'm afraid a lot of shops are very bad - there are some good ones though!

Do hope this snake gets the attention it needs and starts to recover!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did the snake last eat, and what? Don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but it looks very thin for a royal ...??

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  22:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its only young. And from what my mate tells me, it eats 5 times a month!

0.1 BCI Nicaraguan CB10

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  23:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

its only young. And from what my mate tells me, it eats 5 times a month!

Oh good.

Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  20:14:01  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Latest pic. Again your comments are welcome..

Comments are still only similar to before. Also agree with others.
1) It is a burn.
2) The royal needs treating. (preferably by a vet)
3) A heat mat needs......(absolutely 100%).....a STAT!!!!!!!!
4) The royal would more than likely benefit from being moved into a rub, being put on kitchen towel instead of any form of wood chippings, as these will only aggravate the burn. Also being given smaller food items until healed.
and
5) Your friend needs to learn where to get good advice as opposed to believing everything a pet shop tells them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  20:53:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Vets and stat asap.

BATS, your advice on improving the swear filter would be appreciated if you think the forum can be improved.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:45:41  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i suppose your frined has learnt the hard way not to trust pet shops
i was lukcy, as when i first started in the rep world, i got all my knowledge form a pet shop, and interent, but pet shop told me i didn't need stat, so for a year, luckily i then found the corn snake forum, and got a stat imediatly, and i was lukcy thnat nothing happened, but monty always hid in his cold hide, now i know y lol
just dont trust them at all, and i always stat anything that gives off any heat

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Vets and stat asap.

BATS, your advice on improving the swear filter would be appreciated if you think the forum can be improved.

I doubt if I can add anything constructive, BE. It's just that the situation tickles my infantile sense of humour. Naturally you need to prevent impolite stuff getting through but I feel it's now rather carried to extremes. As the guy said, 'There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so.'

The double-entendre was good fun while it lasted, though.

Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  16:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor thing. Much medical TLC and Snake cuddles.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000