Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  20:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I've just found out the ambient temperature in my faunarium is too low (about 23C). I was told by the reptiles shop owner - all I need to buy to maintain the right temperature for my royal are: a heat matt, thermostat and thermometer . I did exactly what he said and I achieved 30C in hot hide and about 26C in cool hide. The only problem is - my python doesn't want to leave his hot hide at all. The snake has fed 4 times and seems to be very healthy but I've started to worry that the cold temperature outside of his cave may change it. Has anybody had similar problem and maybe know how to resolve it? Thanks for help.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  20:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some of my royals don't seem to ever leave their hot hides either, fairly sure it's not too much of a big deal unless you're seeing other signs that the snake is ill, I think I've seen Valhalla in her cool side like twice since September.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  20:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No - everything else seems to be fine. It's juts the low ambient temperature (23C), which very probably stop the snake from moving out of it's hide. But even to keep temperature on this level the heating in my house must work 24/7. Is there any other way to grow the temperature? The snake is only about 2 months (100g) old so buying big viv, new stats and bulbs doesn't seem to be a good solution.

Edited by - konrad1982 on 02/01/2011 22:04:01
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  21:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt worry if the snake is eating then the temps in the hides must be fairly accurate.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  21:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Kelfezond and Hodgie say, the snake sounds fine, and your temps sound fine - snakey probably just favours that part of the tank. Royals are lazy - they pick a spot they like and don't often move unless it's feeding time.

Certainly sounds like you've got things right!

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the answers and sorry about my panicing but this is my first snake and I was even thinking about buying big viv with bulb heating and putting my faunarium into it just to keep my snake warm and healthy. I don't know a lot about snakes but temperature 23c really scared me.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, we've all been there, done that - much better than just thinking 'oh, it's all right.'

All the best - and any time you need to ask anything, that's what TRP is for, we're all learning all the time - even the mods eh?

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmm sorry I gotta disagree 23 is definitely too low for an ambient temp long term. Are these temps during the day and night? The snake will eat because it still feels secure and one part of the enclosure is at a reasonable temp. Personally I would turn up the thermostat so the temp reads 32 under the hot hide. A really usefull box will hold the temps better than a faunarium but but both will only reach an ambient temp of a few degrees more than the room temp. If the room is cold you could try placing the RUB inside of a viv and heating the viv. Hope this helps.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry, Bob, I'd just thought Konrad had said, 30 in hot end and 26 in cool end.

This temp thing is really confusing - 5 months of royals but still ....

You know I still haven't got a clue, despite dashing about all the time wiht the trusty temp gun lol!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got more than a clue bats. Was just giving my opinion as his 2nd post still says only receiving ambient temps of 23.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the minute the thermostat has been turned up to max and temperature inside hot hide will never reach 32c. And as you've just said Royalbob - the ambient temp won't be much higher than in the room which for me seems to be too cold(23c is well hot for me but for snake? hmmm...). I could buy big viv and place my faunarium in there but I'm not really sure what I need to buy to keep big viv warm. I mean - I don't want to make any expensive mistake. If i want to use IR bulb what kind of stat do I need? And which IR bulb are the best (60W, 100W, 150W)?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw thanks Bob - but I check with the temp gun, and check substrate at hot end ... if that's 30 - 32, fine. Never thought of checking ambient temp!

Oh boy, rocket science or what?

Uh sorry don't mean to be facetious - this is a very constructive thread.

What should we be checking, and what should temps be? Confess since the comparative thaw lol I've found the stats don't actually control temps - have had to turn them down a notch!

Oh boy, perpetual surveillance ...

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your heat mat should easily reach 32. Is there a big air gap between the mat and the faun? If yes this is where your losing the heat. But you still have the prob of the ambient. You could get a 3ft viv which you would use one your royal grows. Place the rub inside. If you want to use a IR bulb then you would need a dimming stat. I would use a 100w bulb for a 3ft viv. Hope that all makes sense.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Aw thanks Bob - but I check with the temp gun, and check substrate at hot end ... if that's 30 - 32, fine. Never thought of checking ambient temp!

What should we be checking, and what should temps be? Confess since the comparative thaw lol I've found the stats don't actually control temps - have had to turn them down a notch!

Hiya bats the problem is really with rubs. In a viv the ambient temp should be ok if the hot end is at 32 due to the insulation. Just check temp above cold hide . Should be about 78 - 80F.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heat matt is about 5mm from the faun (as they instructed on the manual). So I don't think I can do anything else to rise the ambient temp. The only idea is to buy viv. Any chance to show me on few links which viv, stat & bulb would be the best for me to order? Thanks a lot.

Edited by - konrad1982 on 02/01/2011 23:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Rub's the really useful boxes from staples and place them directly on the heat mat. Reaches 90F in rub for hot spot no prob's. If you want to try that. Here's a good website that sells all the stuff fir viv set up. Don't know if it's the cheapest just an idea.
http://www.reptilekeeping.co.uk/

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. All the information are very, very useful. Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  00:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No prob's will be a bit more help with links tomorrow. Just using phone at the moment.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

CoN
Yearling

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  11:45:18  Show Profile  Visit CoN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Rob said not sure if its the cheapest but if you order before 2pm its next day delivery. http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/

9.11.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
Feel free to join my Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  12:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hiya bats the problem is really with rubs. In a viv the ambient temp should be ok if the hot end is at 32 due to the insulation. Just check temp above cold hide . Should be about 78 - 80F.

Cheers Bob.

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  18:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just come back from another reptile shop. I was checking the vivs prices but also mentioned about my problem to old lady who works there. She said that people buy these heat matts every day and nobody ever complained about temperature problem. Without thinking she said that something in my set up must've been wrong. I did everything as I've been told by the other guy but she recon I should put the thermostat probe bit closer to the cool hide (this will give more temperature to the hot hide and won't let thermostat to switch off the heat matt so often), inside the faunarium and not directly on the heat matt(as I had till now). Everything seems to be much better. Now in the middle of the viv I've got 28C. In about one hour I'm gonna check hot and cool hides. Do you think that connecting probe directly to the heat matt could cause the problem?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000