Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  18:51:45  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have all my probes over the heat mat and all the temps are fine, it shouldn't really make a difference as you would just turn the thermostat up or down depending on where it was placed

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  19:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heat matt has been placed under the faunarium and the probe from the stat was directly on the heat matt (under the faunarium too). Now everything stayed as it was but I moved the probe into faunarium. Heat matt is switched on for all the time and maybe that's why i get bit higher temperature. When the probe was on the heat matt - the thermostat was about 4 minutes on and about 4 off - even on max settings. Now it will never reach max settings so it will be on for most of the time what should keep heat matt hot(without cooling down). What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  19:09:34  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds good, sounds like youv got the temps sorted now, they just need to be at 31-33

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  19:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ufff I've just checked the hot hide after warming up (36C)- now I turned the stat down and I'll try to adjust it as you've just said to about 32. I'm thinking about putting some tape on the vents because for me it seems to be too many of them for so small faunarium. Hopefully it will work.

Edited by - konrad1982 on 03/01/2011 19:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  19:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes your stat and thermometer probe need to be inside of the faun. Place them together outside but at the same level of the hot hide as this is where the snake is. Don't place probe in hide as snakes temp will make it fluctuate if resting on it. Also have another thermometer on the other side of the faun to Measure temp on that side. The cold side needs to be at 80F and the hot side should be at 90F. Adjust the thermostat according to the thermometer not what the dial is saying on the stat. If it's an on off stat then there will be a much larger fluctuation than using a dimmer or pulse stat. Also a RUB will keep better temps than a faun as fauns are very open to outside elements. 'Let us know how it goes.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Edited by - Royalbob on 03/01/2011 19:53:47
Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  22:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK after long checking and playing with my faun the temperature gets little bit better.
Hot Hide - temp reach 32.8C and stat goes off. Then drop to 29.7C - stat goes back on
Middle of the faun (between hot and cool hides) - temp reach 29.2C and stat goes off. Then drop to 26.6C
Cool Hide - temp reach 28,6C and stat goes off. Then drop to 24,5C - stat goes back on
Stat (when heater on) works for about 20min and then (when cooling down) is off for about 10min.
All this I could achieve only by putting heat matt along the faun(which means that matt cover about 2/3 of the faun) and putting hot hide and cool hide closer to each other.
I've just ordered dimming stat (Microclimate B1 ME) and hopefully it will help a bit. Do you think that I should change anything or leave it as it is now to see how it works after few cycles?
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  23:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really think the problem is using the faun and low ambient/ room temps. The heat mat should only be covering a MAX of 50% of the faun otherwise your royal does not have the capability of thermo regulating itself. The dimming stat will control the temps without the major fluctuations that your getting now from the mat stat and can also be used with either an IR or ceramic bulb so is a good purchase. The ambient temp can only be raised by methods previously stated. Heat mats don't heat the air but the Objects within their range. Your cold side temps are still reading a little low. Is this the lowest they go or do they drop more in the middle of the night. Is this the warmest room in the house. This is why any rep room with rubs or fauns needs to be heated to the ambient temp that the rep needs and then the heat mat just provides the localised hot spot. Sorry I know you must be banging your head. Hope I'm making sense.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the great answer. I'll just wait now for my dimming stat and if it doesn't help to keep proper temperatures I'll just give up as my head is twice bigger than it was last month. Even my hat doesn't fit anymore because of the snake :)
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  22:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Konrad no giving up mate there's not much wrong at all. The little ones healthy and he's eating were just tying to tweak it a bit. A pulse or dimming stat won't get the mat any hotter but will just regulate your temps a lot better than a mat stat. Place 1/3 to 1/2 of the faun over heat mat. Cover up the lid on the cold half of the faun. Grab a clay plant pot for a hide at the hot end. the heat mat will heat this up as well and therefore raise the temp of the air in the faun. Your doing everything right it can just be confusing at first.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

konrad1982
Yearling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  20:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did what u said but still little bit too cold. Tomorrow I should receive my stat (if parcel force arrive after 4pm - if not maybe Friday). If this will help to keep temperature on the same level it won't be so bad - if not I can only try to buy another heat mat and place it on top of the faun (as the lid is mesh, which could let some hot air go into the faun) or on the sides. I don't need a lot at the minute (1 or 2C degrees). When i put hand into the faun the air seems to be really warm and the clay cave is quite hot too so with your help I'm going in good direction. The little is still alive and he even ate his first rat yesterday (he was on mice before).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  20:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - if he ate his first rat yesterday, unlike my faddy Shahi who will only have mice - you've got everything right!

Jammy devil!

You're doing ok!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  20:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ha - if he ate his first rat yesterday, unlike my faddy Shahi who will only have mice - you've got everything right!

Jammy devil!

You're doing ok!

Couldn't agree more. Like i said we were just trying to up that ambient a little more. It's just the design of the faun's. Once the stat arrives this will keep the heat mat constant as well. If you pass a staples, argos or maplins store or even one of those pound shops you could grab a rub or plastic tub and then just drill a few holes in the side for ventilation. this will help hold the heat also.
The little fella is happy if he's munching down his dinner.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave