Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only had royals for 6 months mind, but - I like to see them with plenty of space, loads of cover/hides - and they seem to do well there. I wouldn't put my opinion before a snake's needs though - if I was aware of a snake requiring something different, it could have it. (And I do try to study my snakes' needs.)

Adore Snakebyte TV but sorry, not turned on to rub system, especially for those big snakes.

Just my opinion of course ...

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  20:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ballgirl I have to agree with those saying that smaller enclosure's are better for a Royal. It's just the type of snake they are. Part of keeping any animal is to try and replicate as best as possible how they would live in the wild. For a royal this is undergound rodent burrows in a humid very temperature controlled african enviroment. You'll prob freak out but i don't change my enclosures until the snakes length is equal to the length and depth of the enclosure. Blackecho's 2nd post saids it all really. Also Royals can climb but the majority are very clumsy at it so even a viv thats to high with tall branches can often be dangerous for the royal when and yes it will constantly fall off. This is why for me rub's a perfect for them.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  21:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I think it's time that I calmed some of the people down who have replied (sorry Anatess!)
I really appreciate all your replies and whilst I do still not understand it all fully, i have been listening and although I may not have said it, the welfare of my snake is paramount. That was really what I was getting at with my questions.

I know I have been controversial with what I've said and that was deliberate just to see what others responded with - I wanted personal experiences and I've got that now - thanks Anatess and everyone else and sorry for offending you! You have to understand what those breeder setups look like to the uneducated like me though - they really do look like battery hen coops. I'm glad to hear it's not bad for snakes at all :-)

I'd just like to make it clear that today I have been to my local rep store and bought my new Royal setup - an 18" faunarium with Heatmat and stat as recommended by the rep shop :-)

I've put my name on a nice male yellow belly and am looking forward to getting the faun all set up ready this week and settling him in next weekend.

Once again, thanks for all the replies and sorry for upsetting some of you. It really was all in the name of understanding.
X

Edited by - ballgirl on 15/01/2011 21:28:46
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  23:05:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, no harm done, if you don't ask you don't learn

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  19:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of interest, how big would you say is a good size for a Royal to go into a 3ft viv?

Picked up Mr Yellow Belly this afternoon and although he's a CB10 I have no idea what month so no idea how old he is exactly. I picked the smallest in the shop (as the other 2 were CB09) but now he's home, he still looks large in comparison with the Faunarium - would say he's definitely longer than 18" - the length of the box. Can't really find out how big he is exactly for a week or so as I'm going to let him settle in before handling, weighing and measuring etc.

I know he's going to be fine in there because he came out of a box smaller than that in the shop, I was just wondering. After about 5 mins roaming around once he was put in the Faunarium, he's tucked up inside his warm end hide, so I'm thinking he's ok so far.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  19:59:24  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i plan to put my royal in his 3ft when he passes at least 400 grams, but may weight till he is even bigger
although i will make sure they are big enough so they feel confertable

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 16/01/2011 20:14:18
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  20:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
think I'll be putting mine in as soon as my viv arrives.

About 150-200 grams.

However they're both big roamers in their rubs and if they start hiding in their hides too much when moved I'll consider putting them back until they gain another hundred or so grams

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  20:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to give me an idea, how long are they at those weights? Obviously, I know all snakes will differ in weight to length ratios, but this will give me an idea. How old are they too? That will hopefully help me work out how old my guy is...
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  20:36:31  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bullet is about 2.5ft and weighs 350 grams atm, he was born about april may time
bow is about 20" and was born in sept, and weighs about 150 grams

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  21:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

bullet is about 2.5ft and weighs 350 grams atm, he was born about april may time
bow is about 20" and was born in sept, and weighs about 150 grams

Great, thanks Danny, that gives me some useful info to work with. When he's settled in, I'll get some photos and take some stats and will let you all know how he's getting on. Fingers crossed for no dramas between now and then!
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  21:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd wait till he's about 3ft for a 3ft viv. They want to feel in contact with something,e.g out of one hide and into another if they need to. thats when there secure. But hey my above post show's my belief. if you think there average length is 4ft. The recomended viv size is 3ft X 1.5ft X 1.5ft. You can then see that the formula of viv or rub size is length of snake = length X depth of viv. Ultimately it's up to you though.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  03:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

ballgirl has made it clear that she's not the most educated person when it comes to royal pythons so you shouldn't get upset by her lack of knowledge, she's just speaking from what she's looking at in her own way.

The same way I and most of you thought the same thing when we first saw a thousand snakes crammed into a thousand little rubs :)

Point taken, Kel! Thank you. Yes, this shouldn't make me upset since it hasn't been that long ago when I didn't know a thing either. With all the laws we are fighting left and right here in the States attacking the industry and vilifying breeders, sometimes I forget we are all just looking out for the best interest of our crawling friends...

I apologize if I was too harsh.

Ballgirl, you should smack me if I get too dramatic! Like this: lol.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 17/01/2011 03:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  10:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm here to keep the peace hehehe :D

Also ballgirl it's hard to tell, I have two snakes the same weight and length at the moment, one was born september 2010 and the other was born march 2010 :O

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  11:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

ballgirl has made it clear that she's not the most educated person when it comes to royal pythons so you shouldn't get upset by her lack of knowledge, she's just speaking from what she's looking at in her own way.

The same way I and most of you thought the same thing when we first saw a thousand snakes crammed into a thousand little rubs :)

Point taken, Kel! Thank you. Yes, this shouldn't make me upset since it hasn't been that long ago when I didn't know a thing either. With all the laws we are fighting left and right here in the States attacking the industry and vilifying breeders, sometimes I forget we are all just looking out for the best interest of our crawling friends...

I apologize if I was too harsh.

Ballgirl, you should smack me if I get too dramatic! Like this: lol.

No worries at all Anatess, I knew I was being potentially antagonistic when I posted, so I got what I deserved. And you were very helpful in your post about viv sizes and your own experiences so I'm very grateful for your contribution. :)
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  17:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check this picture out. It's a terrible picture - I cannot get all 3 to sit still for a quick shot.

Anyway, the bumblebee on the left and the normal on the right are from the same clutch hatched back on 7/31/2010. The bumblebee is 254g and the normal is 90g. Yes, the normal is the one that had to be force fed. He is eating consistently now starting the New Year. I think he finally made a New Year's Resolution to not give us a hard time!

The yellowbelly in the middle is a beast. He was hatched in mid-August and is 298g!

So yeah, their birthdays doesn't really tell me their size - as you can see, they can vary drastically.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 17/01/2011 17:07:47
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  20:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... looks like I'm going to have my work cut out working out how old he is then!
Although from what the guy in the shop said, he could well be similar to your yellow belly, by all accounts, my yellow belly also eats well! We have obviously yet to see this, but fingers crossed it's true!

Thanks again Kelfezond and Anatess for the info.
Go to Top of Page

jo-jo-beans
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  10:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a wee read through this thread and found it very interesting. Like yourself Ballgirl, im pretty new to royals, only had my wee Sunshine for a few weeks now. He's a CB 10 (birthday in august :-) and I put him straight into a 3ft viv, as I was really struggling with temps for the rub.
There should be pictures of the viv about.

He's taken to it really well, just had his 3rd feed with me (YAY) on rat weaners, and he's striking like a maniac!!! He's also a climber and explores everywhere, through his tunnels and various hides.

So, im guessing (being a newbie an all) it really depends on the snake.

Royal Python - Sunshine
Argentine Black and White Tegu - Solomon
Bearded Dragon - Oliver
Hybrid Scottish Wildcat - Snowbo
Guinea Piggie - Daisy
Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  10:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ballgirl

Hmm... looks like I'm going to have my work cut out working out how old he is then!

Cut him in two and count the rings?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  14:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jo-jo-beans

Had a wee read through this thread and found it very interesting. Like yourself Ballgirl, im pretty new to royals, only had my wee Sunshine for a few weeks now. He's a CB 10 (birthday in august :-) and I put him straight into a 3ft viv, as I was really struggling with temps for the rub.

He's taken to it really well, just had his 3rd feed with me (YAY) on rat weaners, and he's striking like a maniac!!! He's also a climber and explores everywhere, through his tunnels and various hides.

Thanks Jo-Jo-Beans,

I did read your thread and this was partly why I was thinking it's so hard to keep a smaller enclosure at the right temps.

I think I will keep him in his 18" faunarium for now and see how he feeds - we haven't tried to feed him yet. I'm not 100% sure about the temps of the faun if I'm honest. The guy who I bought him off told me to put the thermometer on the mat itself, with the thermostat probe next to it and set the thermostat to 33.5 degrees - so that when the thermometer reads this figure, the stat turns the mat off. It drops about 4 degrees and then starts up again. But I don't know what temp that makes it inside the faun. I might move the temp probe at the weekend and take some readings from there. I would be happier if I knew the temp inside I have to admit.

Anyone with any ideas if I should be doing something different, please speak up!
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  15:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ballgirl

quote:
Originally posted by jo-jo-beans

Thanks Jo-Jo-Beans,

I did read your thread and this was partly why I was thinking it's so hard to keep a smaller enclosure at the right temps.

I think I will keep him in his 18" faunarium for now and see how he feeds - we haven't tried to feed him yet. I'm not 100% sure about the temps of the faun if I'm honest. The guy who I bought him off told me to put the thermometer on the mat itself, with the thermostat probe next to it and set the thermostat to 33.5 degrees - so that when the thermometer reads this figure, the stat turns the mat off. It drops about 4 degrees and then starts up again. But I don't know what temp that makes it inside the faun. I might move the temp probe at the weekend and take some readings from there. I would be happier if I knew the temp inside I have to admit.

Anyone with any ideas if I should be doing something different, please speak up!

My new King is in a 9L rub (very simlar saize to an 18 inch faun)
The heat mat is underneath the rub.

My thermometer probe and thermostat probe are tied together with a small rubber band and both are inside the rub, with the probes touching the base just above the heat mat.

This way the thermometer and thermostat are reading from the same place which is also the warmest place that my snake can get to. This way I can be sure that the temps inside the rub are exactly as they should be.

I don't think it's any good monitoring the temp outside the rub/faun as they can be very different to the inside temps which is where your snake will be.

Hope that makes sense, I can be terrible at explaining things at times
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000