1115 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  15:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

quote:
Originally posted by ballgirl

quote:
Originally posted by jo-jo-beans

Had a wee read through this thread and found it very interesting. Like yourself Ballgirl, im pretty new to royals, only had my wee Sunshine for a few weeks now. He's a CB 10 (birthday in august :-) and I put him straight into a 3ft viv, as I was really struggling with temps for the rub.
There should be pictures of the viv about.

He's taken to it really well, just had his 3rd feed with me (YAY) on rat weaners, and he's striking like a maniac!!! He's also a climber and explores everywhere, through his tunnels and various hides.

So, im guessing (being a newbie an all) it really depends on the snake.

Thanks Jo-Jo-Beans,

I did read your thread and this was partly why I was thinking it's so hard to keep a smaller enclosure at the right temps.

I think I will keep him in his 18" faunarium for now and see how he feeds - we haven't tried to feed him yet. I'm not 100% sure about the temps of the faun if I'm honest. The guy who I bought him off told me to put the thermometer on the mat itself, with the thermostat probe next to it and set the thermostat to 33.5 degrees - so that when the thermometer reads this figure, the stat turns the mat off. It drops about 4 degrees and then starts up again. But I don't know what temp that makes it inside the faun. I might move the temp probe at the weekend and take some readings from there. I would be happier if I knew the temp inside I have to admit.

Anyone with any ideas if I should be doing something different, please speak up!

My new King is in a 9L rub (very simlar saize to an 18 inch faun)
The heat mat is underneath the rub.

My thermometer probe and thermostat probe are tied together with a small rubber band and both are inside the rub, with the probes touching the base just above the heat mat.

This way the thermometer and thermostat are reading from the same place which is also the warmest place that my snake can get to. This way I can be sure that the temps inside the rub are exactly as they should be.

I don't think it's any good monitoring the temp outside the rub/faun as they can be very different to the inside temps which is where your snake will be.

Hope that makes sense, I can be terrible at explaining things at times

I gotcha and you've got yours set up right

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  15:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My new King is in a 9L rub (very simlar saize to an 18 inch faun)
The heat mat is underneath the rub.

My thermometer probe and thermostat probe are tied together with a small rubber band and both are inside the rub, with the probes touching the base just above the heat mat.

This way the thermometer and thermostat are reading from the same place which is also the warmest place that my snake can get to. This way I can be sure that the temps inside the rub are exactly as they should be.

I don't think it's any good monitoring the temp outside the rub/faun as they can be very different to the inside temps which is where your snake will be.

Hope that makes sense, I can be terrible at explaining things at times

Yep, definitely makes sense. What temp should it be on the floor of the faun inside?

I guess the problem for me is that I don't have any cable holes in the faunarium to run the probes in there permanently, so I guess if I can confirm the temp on the floor the way it currently is, that would at least mean I know that my current method of heating is ok....
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Floor temp by hot hide wants to read 90F can drop down a few degrees at night which it will do naturally. just run the cable through the lid. Really you should be able to just glance at your thermometer and check the temp otherwise it becomes hard work.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been reading another forum regarding faunariums as well and they suggest that they have too much ventilation to keep the temp up properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how this can be improved? I was thinking we could tape up the lid vents and just leave the ones on the side of the box, or would you do it the other way around? Or neither - is it ok as it is?! I'm not sure how I'd feel about taping them up, snakey might get his tongue stuck when he's on a wander!

I'm a bit confused now. The guy I bought this setup off got good reviews on another forum and seemed to be well known for being great with his advice, but now I'm starting to question it, which is not a good feeling :(
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is recommended to have your thermostat probe directly placed on your heat mat and then the thermometer probe right on top of your substrate.

I have my thermostat probe stuck between the heat mat and the RUB. Both of them are outside of the RUB.

The reason why we do it this way is because there's a lag for the heat mat to react to the probe and then another lag for the heat to dissipate into the viv. Therefore, we want to be sure that the heat mat never goes higher than a certain set temperature (mine is set at 95F) - regardless of the temperature in the viv.

In my set-up, I have the RUB with half an inch of Aspen substrate. My hides have a bottom piece and then about a quarter inch substrate inside the hides. My thermostat probe is outside the RUB between the heat mat and the bottom of the RUB placed directly under the hide. My thermometer probe is sitting inside the hide to measure hot belly temp. With a 95F setting on the thermostat, the thermometer reads 90-92F depending on whether the snake is in the hide or not.

This is the recommended set-up by all the "experts" here in the States.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 19/01/2011 16:48:57
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

Floor temp by hot hide wants to read 90F can drop down a few degrees at night which it will do naturally. just run the cable through the lid. Really you should be able to just glance at your thermometer and check the temp otherwise it becomes hard work.

I'm not sure the slits in the lid are big enough to run the cable through, but I'll have a look when I get home. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

It is recommended to have your thermostat probe directly placed on your heat mat and then the thermometer probe right on top of your substrate.

I have my thermometer probe stuck between the heat mat and the RUB. Both of them are outside of the RUB.

The reason why we do it this way is because there's a lag for the heat mat to react to the probe and then another lag for the heat to dissipate into the viv. Therefore, we want to be sure that the heat mat never goes higher than a certain set temperature (mine is set at 95F) - regardless of the temperature in the viv.

In my set-up, I have the RUB with half an inch of Aspen substrate. My hides have a bottom piece and then about a quarter inch substrate inside the hides. My thermostat probe is outside the RUB between the heat mat and the bottom of the RUB placed directly under the hide. My thermometer probe is sitting inside the hide to measure hot belly temp. With a 95F setting on the thermostat, the thermometer reads 90-92F depending on whether the snake is in the hide or not.

Thanks Anatess. I have to admit you have me a little confused though First you say both thermostat and thermometer probes are outside the Rub, then you say your thermometer probe is inside the hot hide... Which is it? Or do you do both?
:)

Ah - I see. Where you said "both are outside the rub", you meant the heat mat and the thermostat probe, not the thermometer probe and the thermostat probe! My apologies!

Edited by - ballgirl on 19/01/2011 16:53:49
Go to Top of Page

louise32
Yearling

275 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not sure the slits in the lid are big enough to run the cable through, but I'll have a look when I get home. Thanks

I found the slits in the lid are flexible enough to push the probe through. I did snap one of the little plastc bits off the first time I did it but just wrapped a bit of kitchen roll round the wire to plug the gap, but it's not a big enough gap for a royal to get through.
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I found the slits in the lid are flexible enough to push the probe through. I did snap one of the little plastc bits off the first time I did it but just wrapped a bit of kitchen roll round the wire to plug the gap, but it's not a big enough gap for a royal to get through.

Cool, thanks Louise32
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have my thermometer probe stuck between the heat mat and the RUB. Both of them are outside of the RUB.

Thanks Anatess. I have to admit you have me a little confused though First you say both thermostat and thermometer probes are outside the Rub, then you say your thermometer probe is inside the hot hide... Which is it? Or do you do both?
:)

I'm a nincompoop. I went and edited my post...

It is supposed to be THERMOSTAT probe in between the heat mat and the bottom of the RUB... both outside the RUB.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  16:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a nincompoop. I went and edited my post...

It is supposed to be THERMOSTAT probe in between the heat mat and the bottom of the RUB... both outside the RUB.

I edited my post too - I was misunderstanding it anyway! Got it now though! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000