Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have set up my viv today I have 100watt bulb on dimming stat I'm having problems cos there is only 1 degree between hot end and cold end any ideas

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:13:02  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how big is the viv?? where is the bulb situated??
pics of teh setup will help

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:28:00  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3ft lamp on side at top of one end will try to post pic
Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:38:10  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3ft lamp on side at top of one end will try to post pic
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure your thermometer is working correctly, are you cooling it down between measuring because that doesnt sound feasible, the end with the light has to be hotter.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:52:37  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
like hodgie sed, are u sure you therm is working correctly, as to have a 1 degree temp dif and have a 3ft viv the bulb at the sopposite end then something must be wonrg

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The positioning of the thermometers can have a big effect on the way you percieve the temperatures, as Hodgie says, the hot spot created by the light will always be the hottest point, you just need to have your hot end thermometer probe in the hot spot with direct line of sight to the bulb. I tuck my cold end thermometer probe just behind the cold end hide and in a shaded part. The cold end is really just the ambient temperature, if your hot end thermometer is not directly in the hot spot or shaded its just measuring the ambient again. There will be a slight difference in ambient between the ends so this may be whats happening.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:55:46  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its a digital therm with 2 sensors which takes to separte readings I have one sensor at lamp end and the other at the "cool" end .
I have tried to upload a pic but can't get photo bucket to work will try from laptop instead of iPad might be easier
Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok how thick do I feel it obvious will move them lol!,
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not thick at all, happens to the best of us. Just hope that solves your problem.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:10:33  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks lotabob the temps changing already lol! This is my first time setting up viv kept many things over the years this is my first snake. I can set up a fish tank with everything including co2 with my eyes shut but this is something else. Hopefully getting my royal on Saturday as long as he fed ok this afternoon. Can't wait
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. I will be setting up a tropical fish tank soon so I know who to ask now. I've set up 2 vivariums 1 success and 1 work in progress. Its all a little adjustment here, a tweek there. You'll soon be able to set up a viv without thinking and as snakeys are very addictive you'll soon have the opportunity to set another one up.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:24:30  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't I know it i tend to do all things to excess lol! 2 fish tanks ( need to upgrade 4 foot for 6 foot as fish getting too big) 5 cats and 2 frogs . My hubbie says no more after this one (some chance he's got)
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More vents on the cold side will sort it

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:53:47  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Moving temp probes worked all great now, just need to bring my boy home!
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dlanefox

Don't I know it i tend to do all things to excess lol! 2 fish tanks ( need to upgrade 4 foot for 6 foot as fish getting too big) 5 cats and 2 frogs . My hubbie says no more after this one (some chance he's got)

HAHA, a 4 foot tank, thats impressive, I've just a small 2 foot vcold water tank full of danio.

I have to sing the praises for corn snakes, I love mine to bits, such a lovely little snake, so good natured, always active and exploring and a brilliant feeder. Put a corn snake on your wish list. Not really had any bonding time with the royal yet, been here 2 weeks and its done nothing, I tell a lie, last week it refused to feed, lol. I'm been a bit mean, he is so cute and he's just a bit scared and very jumpy, I've held him a few times for a few minutes and he is very jumpy. Though give it a month or two and I'm sure he'll keep me entertained as much as the corn snake does.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  21:38:17  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found a corn snake about 4 years ago it was about 8 inches long a freezing cold down an alleyway I thought it was dead but picked it up anyway, I took it in doors and after holding it for about 5 mins it started moving, a friend of mine keeps snakes so I took it to him. He still has it it's now nearly 5 foot I won't go anywhere near it especially if it's in it's viv cos it very viv aggressive. Put me off a bit, but the shop I'm getting my royal from has some really nice ones. Think if I did ever manage to talk my hubbie into another I would have a rainbow boa.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  22:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah a BRB is on my list, I would really love a Green Tree Python, they are beautiful beasts with a nasty reputation but thats only cos when one bites you, its a BIG deal. Corns are rarely aggresive, maybe that one has issues.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  23:00:29  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Being found in an alleyway prob didn't help don't think I'd like humans either
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  23:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky you found it.

Go to Top of Page

Dlanefox
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  17:07:20  Show Profile  Click to see Dlanefox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Feeling a bit fed up not getting royal. Till next Wednesday cos man wants to give him another feed on Monday and their not open till Wednesday.
Will have to be patient
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000