Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  20:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know its not illegal in the states, I will reword my post: When searching for videos on feeding techniques etc it annoys me that youtube is full of live feeding videos from the states. I am not a fan of live feeding, I consider it cruel and unnecessary and in the UK the filming of this activity is illegal.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  22:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I know its not illegal in the states, I will reword my post: When searching for videos on feeding techniques etc it annoys me that youtube is full of live feeding videos from the states. I am not a fan of live feeding, I consider it cruel and unnecessary and in the UK the filming of this activity is illegal.

No its not, if the filming is for entertainment purposes for posting or public viewing then yes it is. if it is for you and only you it is not illegal to film your snake being fed live.

Now before we go and all jump on the live feeding in the UK try and keep this thread on track before we need a sat nav.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  22:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In three hundred yards turn right >>>>>>>>

On subject ( a wooden vivarium is my enclosure of choice, i find monitoring and controlling humidity quite easy, I keep a clump of moss in the cold end back corner and if humidity gets a bit low I'll give it a tiny spray and it sorts it out. I have found that IR bulbs apposed to normal bulbs have a greater ability to dry out the air, so I use a hygrometer to just keep it in check. Another good thing about wooden vivariums is you can stack them when you get hooked on snakes, glass enclosures can#t be stacked without building or buying some framework.

I see where you are going with the well lit idea but I haven't seen my royal out during light hours ever, if I turn the room lights off at night he will be out within a few minutes so sticking with one snake friendly lighting/heating option will be better and less complicated.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  23:10:03  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect that some of these super duper vivs are lit to meet our human aesthetics rather than our snakes.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

I suspect that some of these super duper vivs are lit to meet our human aesthetics rather than our snakes.

Agreed. Remember in nature this is a shy nocturnal snake. My set up are quite basic compared to some others but you have to also think about cleaning the enclosure. From what you have described so far I think an I.R bulb would be the best choice. .

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  21:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your input.

Sandi's point:

"I suspect that some of these super duper vivs are lit to meet our human aesthetics rather than our snakes."

is an interesting one, and probably goes to the heart of what I am trying to do here. Clearly, with the amount of effort and money that is spent on their snake's accomodation, aesthetics of the vivarium are important but, I agree, this should not be done to the detriment of the inhabitant. 100% agree with this.

If you look at parallels with aquariums, the only things fish probably need are clean water and food. Yet look at the extent that we as fish keepers (me included) go to (a) lighting (b) coloured stones and 'general' furniture (c) planting, although this can contribute to the health of the tank, sure.

I am trying to fit my son's viv so that the look, not only of the snake, but the viv also, hits him (and his future reptile-keeping friends!) squarely between the eyes. "The snake should be enough" I hear you cry, and it, no doubt, will be. But it's in my nature to research everything to the max. This is, afterall, why I am here!

Re: the American Youtube clips: I linked to this NOT because of the glass vivaria, mesh tops or them looking like Blackpool illuminations, only as a reference to the existance of white or 'daylight-looking' light and seemingly happy snakes. I accept that my day/night idea might be one to advance to later, once the baby has settled in. I appreciate that I am a novice with much to learn and that, often, it is better to "keep it simple stupid!"

So, IR or ceramic? Looking back through the various posts on this thread, I think most of you are saying IR. Can anyone enlighten me as to their longevity compared to a ceramic?

And then I'm unsure about substrate. The snake breeder who is supplying us with said 6-month old Royal is not a big fan of any kind of bark because of the risk of causing fatal damage if ingested. I appreciate that there are things you can do to lessen this risk (covering the substrate with a sheet of paper or feeding in a RUB being the 2 most recommended ones I can find on this forum). But if I wanted to use something less 'risky' what should I use? Aspen?

Oh, and one final thing. My breeder is recommending going for an 18-inch rather than 2 foot viv. Can I find one? Not on your life! If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Do please remember that you are dealing with a complete novice so go easy on me. I'm still learning!

Thanks all. Hope you have a great week.

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  22:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a 4' aquarium (for fish) and believe me the fish need hides and cover as much as snakes do.

Personally, in regard to the 18" viv, I may be sticking my neck out here (as usual ...) but for a 6 month royal, personally I don't think the extra 6" is crucial, especially when packed out with lots of hides and cover - and believe me, they don't half grow at that age! However, there are people who make custom-built vivs - I believe there's a thread on the photo section about 'Dave's vivs viv stack', by Kelfezond, which looks great and was custom built and very good value.

I'm not an expert on ceramics vs infra red. I'll leave that to others.

Personally I don't feel happy about any substrate being ingested. I see videos on youtube with the snake happily feeding on an aspen covered rodent, and cringe ... no doubt in the wild some vegetable matter is occasionally ingested, but for my domestic snakes, no. I like to use aspen, it looks good, they can burrow in it and it gives a grippable, more 'realistic' surface to prowl round on, but I'm careful when feeding.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - n/a on 13/02/2011 22:06:43
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  10:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i use ceramic bulbs i think they are ment to last something like 4 yrs, i prob wrong lol. i use these as my snakes are in the bedroom and the gf hates any sort of light when she goes to bed, even the light on the stat gets to her. never used ir so dont know how long they last

if you use ceramic it needs to be fitted to a pulse stat where as an ir is fitted to a dimmer stat i think im right in saying. sorry if this has been covered already but i have a habbit of skim reading so miss some bits lol

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Blackskull, know what you mean about the skim reading - I'm in the throes of rearranging the whole house round 8 snakes and their rodent freezer and snatching a glance at TRP now and then - I get into a right panic about 'have I worded that right?'

As I understand it, you have to run a ceramic off a pp stat, but you can run an IR off a dimmer or a pp. The pp is that much more sophisticated (and therefore more expensive.) The other day I read a post where someone said you could use a mat with a pp stat - the pp gives a more consistent temperature.

Didn't know ceramic bulbs lasted 4 years! Worth the initial outlay on equipment then! My only grouse about ceramic is that, and also the fear that I might not realise the bulb had expired - with IR you can see the light of course. (I check my temps with a temp gun so don't have thermometers in place in the vivs.)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:09:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can use a PP or a Dimmer with a ceramic, but only a Dimmer with a light-emitting bulb.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My dimmer's are amazingly accurate I can't believe that a Pulse would be anymore accurate. I barely ever need to touch mine.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They both hold temps perfectly. It's only the mat stats that drop a few degrees due to the simple on off operation.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  11:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You can use a PP or a Dimmer with a ceramic, but only a Dimmer with a light-emitting bulb.

Ha - did say I wasn't an authority on these things, eh?

I could have sworn I'd read on here that a pp could be used with IR - good thing I found out different.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  18:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

u learn something new every day. i prob got my info from skim reading. i should really start to read things proparly b4 giving info

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  18:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Blackskull, you got it right - it was me that got it wrong, thinking that a light emitting bulb could be used with either a dimmer or pp.

(I've now found the thread where I read it, too. Won't quote it, don't want to embarrass anyone.)

Edited by - n/a on 14/02/2011 18:32:49
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  18:59:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A PP stat turns the electricity supply on and off quickly, so you would get a 'disco' effect with a light-emitting bulb.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  19:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry when i said you learn something new evertday i was on about the dimming stat, i didn't know you can use them with ceramic. i dont always explain myself very well. another bad habbit of mine

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  19:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Blackskull - join the club, lol. No, my mistake. Every post I make seems to be a disaster just lately.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  20:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well its a good job you dont get torn to bits when you make a mistake lol

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  15:22:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No disasters, we're a community, we all learn and we all try to help

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000