Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What A Patriot!
Love it!

Looks great, fantastic work hope you all enjoy it :D

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  23:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good. Nice to see the bottle of anti-bac.
With the feeding if you haven't already fed her. Be patient and prepared. Scares the crap outta you the first time. Oh and use tongs!

This is what to expect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DG-L74nH60

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  01:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant name and that is one very happy young lad.

The setup looks amazing and as pointed out you've got everything sorted right down to the bottle of hand cleanser.
Thats made my day.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  09:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing. He looks so chuffed. Wishing you all the best of luck.
As pointed out, get one sensor directly under heat source and the
other tucked away by cool hide. When making any adjustments
give it a day to settle off.

Nearly forgot WOW the viv looks amazing.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  09:54:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Happy times

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  21:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy times indeed Blackecho!

Thanks everyone for your huge help in getting us this far. We feel like we've got a slice of Africa in our house now! A real privilege.

I'll sign off from this thread now and hope that our experience and your wealth of advice will help others who might be starting out on this adventure.

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, keep us posted about the progress of your son and Kate - this is only the beginning of the story.

And all the best for the future.

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2014 :  15:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Forum Members, you are all due an update!

Old-timers might remember this thread from, wait for it, more than 3 years and nearly 3000 views ago and I thought I owed you all an update.

My son was 8 then, and the advice I had from Forum members along with Mike our, now, breeder friend, was invaluable to the success of this addition to our family. Needless to say, Kate the snake has been well looked after and, about this time last year, Jonah decided that he wanted to try breeding with her.

I am one to encourage and 'fuel the fire', so to speak, and we allowed him to take a lump sum from his college fund in the hope that he would try to pay it back in three years. He has a one year, a three year and a five year project (although I'm not allowed to share these with anyone!)

Last summer was spent adding his first morph, a pastel, and then a second large female, just in case Kate wasn't ready this year, and a Butter Pastel which he "couldn't resist because it was so pretty", and later a young female lesser which he wanted to grow on for his 3-year plan (can you guess what he might be aiming for?!).

We went through the whole IKEA wardrobe thing for housing only to end up with a viv stack because (a) most of the enjoyment for Jonah was seeing what the snakes were up to and (b) he wasn't strong enough to lift the larger tubs out with 2-3kg of snake inside, and he started putting pairs together last autumn.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Amy (the second large 'back-up' female laid a clutch of 7 eggs a couple of weeks ago, and they are now cooking nicely in his home-made incubator and due to hatch in mid July!

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this original thread all that time ago and to act as an encouragement to any parents or educators who are mulling over the idea of adding a Royal Python or any other snake or reptile for that matter, to their home or classroom. It's been a brilliant journey for my son and one which is still conjuring up surprises... he wants to one day be an exotics vet.

I've also helped him put his own website together at www.sussexroyals.co.uk and he has a Facebook page via his Mum's account as he's not old enough to have his own yet. He would be very happy if any Forum members with a FB account might 'Like' him and offer some words of encouragement. Oh, and he's used the Royal Python Forum logo on his 'Hints and Tips' page because we wanted to point people to this Forum and, particularly it's superb Care Section. Please tell us if we've infringed anyone's Copyright doing this. I am a musician by trade and take Intellectual Property Rights seriously - if I've done wrong, please tell me and I'll take it off and just put a text link in.

To close, a couple of snaps. I wish you all great success with your snakes.

Best Wishes and thank you

Steve (Jonah's Dad)

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/AmysEggswithJonahedited.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/Amyafterlayingedited.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/Billhangingout.jpg.html][/URL]

0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  12:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevethornley

Well Forum Members, you are all due an update!

Old-timers might remember this thread from, wait for it, more than 3 years and nearly 3000 views ago and I thought I owed you all an update.

My son was 8 then, and the advice I had from Forum members along with Mike our, now, breeder friend, was invaluable to the success of this addition to our family. Needless to say, Kate the snake has been well looked after and, about this time last year, Jonah decided that he wanted to try breeding with her.

I am one to encourage and 'fuel the fire', so to speak, and we allowed him to take a lump sum from his college fund in the hope that he would try to pay it back in three years. He has a one year, a three year and a five year project (although I'm not allowed to share these with anyone!)

Last summer was spent adding his first morph, a pastel, and then a second large female, just in case Kate wasn't ready this year, and a Butter Pastel which he "couldn't resist because it was so pretty", and later a young female lesser which he wanted to grow on for his 3-year plan (can you guess what he might be aiming for?!).

We went through the whole IKEA wardrobe thing for housing only to end up with a viv stack because (a) most of the enjoyment for Jonah was seeing what the snakes were up to and (b) he wasn't strong enough to lift the larger tubs out with 2-3kg of snake inside, and he started putting pairs together last autumn.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Amy (the second large 'back-up' female laid a clutch of 7 eggs a couple of weeks ago, and they are now cooking nicely in his home-made incubator and due to hatch in mid July!

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this original thread all that time ago and to act as an encouragement to any parents or educators who are mulling over the idea of adding a Royal Python or any other snake or reptile for that matter, to their home or classroom. It's been a brilliant journey for my son and one which is still conjuring up surprises... he wants to one day be an exotics vet.

I've also helped him put his own website together at www.sussexroyals.co.uk and he has a Facebook page via his Mum's account as he's not old enough to have his own yet. He would be very happy if any Forum members with a FB account might 'Like' him and offer some words of encouragement. Oh, and he's used the Royal Python Forum logo on his 'Hints and Tips' page because we wanted to point people to this Forum and, particularly it's superb Care Section. Please tell us if we've infringed anyone's Copyright doing this. I am a musician by trade and take Intellectual Property Rights seriously - if I've done wrong, please tell me and I'll take it off and just put a text link in.

To close, a couple of snaps. I wish you all great success with your snakes.

Best Wishes and thank you

Steve (Jonah's Dad)

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/AmysEggswithJonahedited.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/Amyafterlayingedited.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/stevethornley/media/Snake/Billhangingout.jpg.html][/URL]

This is fantastic I remember this thread being around when I first came here. Great to see the update and that everything is going well for you all! The royals look fantastic and the website is brilliant I don't think anyone here will complain about anything you've used I think it's great!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

mrmagicpants
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  19:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spent the last however long reading this (should be working). We get our first Royal this weekend and for all the research I've done mainly through this website, this one thread is fantastic. It pretty much covers everything and then some.

Loved reading stuff about getting this ready for your son then the update. Amazing. So glad he's still into it. I'd be to afraid that my kids would lose interest.

Any how. Well done Steve. And to all the guys who have contributed to this thread and all the others. Keep up the good work.

0.0.1 Corn Snake (Sunkissed)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Normal) Arriving very soon.
Go to Top of Page

mrmagicpants
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  19:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looked over the website. I think there might be a budding admin there.
Love how much info you put on but made it easy to navigate and look up.
The pictures are brilliant.
Well done Steve & Son

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  10:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your good wishes Kelf - you're just around the corner from us... we should meet up! MMP I wish you every success with your new Royal. So excited for you. Just remember that when he/she doesn't do what you expect, you take in a deep breath and say to yourself: "Well it is a Royal!".

0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
Go to Top of Page

mrmagicpants
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  15:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol Steve. Yeah. Trying to get that bit through my other halfs head.
He's all moved in now. Just leaving him to settle.
From all the reading on this forum I am pretty chilled about the stuff that worries most.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000