0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  17:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im based in hartlepool the store was in newcastle area (wont name spacifically dont want anyone saying im slandering) im more upset about the fact the store say its my fault when i no i did all i could and done everything for him but it still hurts someone who hasnt seen the snake saying its your fault just to get out of admitting there selling poorly snakes.

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  18:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss.
As already stated animals are covered under the sales of goods act.
contact trading standards asap. let them know everything including your posts on this forum. They will probably advise you to go to the small claims court and this will probably be enough to get the pet shop to give you a full refund.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah they are breaking the sales of goods act 1979 (had a good read of it at work today, the joys of management) they have to sell defect free, fit for purpose goods, this DOES include pets. Legally they have to provide a refund, replacement or repair (not the last one in this circumstance but its relevent to a sick animal). Go to them with this knowledge and they should be more compliant, if not then you can get trading standards involved, you will need a Post Mortem though to be able to prove that Kahn died of an established illness and not any other reason but its something you will be able to claim back from the shop too.

Its so annoying when a shop shows utter lack of knowledge and care, god knows how many animals they have sold recently with a RI as it can be spread without good hygiene procedures.

I see you have other snakes, I know it goes without saying (I'm sure you do this already) but keep an keen eye on your other snakes for the next month or 2 for signs of RI too, its very unlikely if you wash your hands/anti bacterial hand gel etc but just in case.

Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds similar to what i went through with my Californian king snake but i did have her for a few months but later obviously was sold with a tumour in it's ovary areas and i was devastated and even the vet was convinced she was pregnant than after a night of flustered snake which went limp from the backend , half hour later dead snake and my emergency appointment wasn't any good.
We were offered the price of the snake and i got lancelot and haggled most of the rest of the price off (as i bought a hovabator) so she cost £60 in the end and i have never stepped foot in that shop since because of such anger towards them and there lack of history and to this i am debating reporting them because i've also noticed as late they don't keep the lamps on at night which must screw the poor reptiles up along with a few other things.

I hear you, and it is a hard thing to find your snake dead and then you release how much muscle they use because they are just purely limp and that stays with you and the eyes just have nothing there. I do hope your royal didn't suffer as much as my snake did.

Edited by - Lancelot on 11/03/2011 19:21:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lancelot

sounds similar to what i went through with my Californian king snake but i did have her for a few months but later obviously was sold with a tumour in it's ovary areas and i was devastated and even the vet was convinced she was pregnant than after a night of flustered snake which went limp from the backend , half hour later dead snake and my emergency appointment wasn't any good.
We were offered the price of the snake and i got lancelot and haggled most of the rest of the price off (as i bought a hovabator) so she cost £60 in the end and i have never stepped foot in that shop since because of such anger towards them and there lack of history and to this i am debating reporting them because i've also noticed as late they don't keep the lamps on at night which must screw the poor reptiles up along with a few other things.

I hear you, and it is a hard thing to find your snake dead and then you release how much muscle they use because they are just purely limp and that stays with you and the eyes just have nothing there. I do hope your royal didn't suffer as much as my snake did.

Hi, I must say I'm not impressed with the shops I've encountered in my time, but as to the lamps - many shops use 'display lighting' in the daytime, and heat strips/mats at night, so the reptiles do stay warm - hope this reassures you.

Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope so

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  01:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for our loss,RIP Kahn.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  08:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost certain I know which shop you went to Squiggy! It's where I got Pandora from, and back then (if it is that shop, did they have a hugh BC skin hanging up around the wall and the walls were painted green with leaves?) they were very, very good and made sure I knew how to look after her etc. They went on tours all around the country and gave information out 'n' all that. They were involved in breeding programs etc, etc But... when we went back there we very quickly found out that it had seriously gone down hill. The people that had run the place before were nowhere to be seen and the shop had been cut in half. The 'stock' was reduced right down and the young woman who was there was awful. We quickly left and I will not be returning there again. It's such a shame though, and I wonder if it's all down to new managment...

I would still get a PM, if only it puts your own mind at rest. I was not impressed by that shop and if that womans treatment of her children is anything to go by I really think that this happening should still be made clear and reported to the right people. She deserves it.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  09:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was saddened to read this post. So sorry for the loss of Kahn. I can only imagine how awful you must have felt making such a discovery. I would add mine to the voices encouarging you to follow this up with a PM and call to trading standards. As others have said, the law is on your side not to mention ethical standards in trading. Your action could stop others feeling as upset as you are. Although I can equally understand that you would just want to put the whole sorry episode behind you.

Whatever you decide, I know you will find a lot of support from this community.

I wish you better success with your future animal adventures.

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  09:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi squiggy88 don't know if this will help in you making a decission on having a pm done but told my better half about what happened and she said pm's for cats and dogs cost around 30 quid but not sure what it wold be for a snake as they don't get snakes in at the vets she works at

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  20:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wish i had gotten post mortem done now after reading that the law would be on my side however i feel now would be too late he is still in the fridge in a ice cream tub but its been 3 days since he died now so i dont no if they would be able to find anything now? we were just keeping him in fridge as my next door neighbor wanted to get him stuffed as he is into that sort of thing and im not as attached to him as i was my others because i only had him 10days even tho i am devostated but i dont have money to spend on court costs and things if it got that far i just dont no what to do

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  20:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just asked the better half how long after the death of an animal a pm can be done. i know this sounds crude and im sorry but she said she thinks within 24hrs as the fresher the better. your best bet would be to try and speak to an exotic vet and see what they say.

i would imagine that you wouldn't have to pay for court costs as it would be a case for tradeing standards and the rspca

don't know if this will be any help but heres a link to the defra site. there's a helpline number at the bottom of the page

http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/

the gf will ask one of the vets in the morning about timescale for pm if she remembers

after looking in a reptile text book the gf says it said a pm can be done days later but some tests maybe of limited value. keeping it chilled +4c do not freeze as it can cause tissue damage. carcases can be kept in the fridge +4c for up to 5 days but not sure if thats after examination

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace

Edited by - blackskull on 13/03/2011 21:39:18
Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  22:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw excellent thank you im going to ring round some places tomorrow and try ge something sorted cos the more i think about it the more i want something done

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  22:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no worries, it comes in handy having a vet nurse for a gf

i hope you manage to get a result and stop the shop selling sick animals

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  08:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You woudn't have to pay anything or go to court if Trading Standards got involved, I know 'cause my mam got them involved over a website that stole money from her. They delt with everything themselves after she'd told her story. I think it's very rare that you'd have to get more involved than that.

Good luck squiggy.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  10:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi blackskull's GF here! i spoke to one of the vets i work with this morning she advised that 24 hrs even if animal has been kept chilled is usually the time scale. after this time as said before things start to change and unless something really obvious such as a tumour then can make it more difficult to determine the cause of death.

i do hope that your own vet may be of assistance.

sorry for your loss too
Lucy x

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  11:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if a PM would be out of reach, as BATS and others have said, wouldn't the threads posted on this forum be evidence enough that something was up just as soon as you got Kahn home? All posts are date and time stamped. Just a thought.

Steve

0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  16:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have today spoken to citizens advice and they have made me a template of a letter so i wrote the letter and sent it recorded delivary today so it will reach there tomorrow it states that i want a full refund and that at the time of death i offered a pm and that he wasnt interested. and that by law he should of followed up my call not just fobbed me off and that by law he CANT offer me a DISCOUNT on a new snake he must replace or refund my money so i will write back tomorrow and see if he calls me or anything as for kahn were going to burry him in the garden

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the very best with this. Good old CAB. I'm sure you have the support of everyone here too. RIP Kahn.

Steve

0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000