New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fed Duke last night, it was rat in, lights out and nothing, I think I noticed his nose poking out of the hide on the way to my bed. This morning I slept in and had a mad rush to get out the house, quick check and rat is still sitting there, I had no time to sort it so left it as I was only going to be gone a few hours.
I arrive back at lunchtime, walk in the living room and I'm suddenly aware I'm been watched, I look over to the vivs and Duke is stood proud as you like with the rat stuffed half way in his mouth, he froze, I froze, slowly I back away from the viv and Duke returns to swallowing his late lunch. I have NEVER seen him so much as move through the day, he is wedged tightly in his hide normally so to see him out and active and eating in the light of day was a rare treat.
Does make me wonder though, how long can you realistically leave a rat in a viv avoiding stressing them out or ending up with a fussy mush ball stinking out the place?

Edited by - Lotabob on 21/05/2011 13:11:33

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  15:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine normally get fed at midnight, our adult male is sometimes left with the rat in but normally take it out midday so 12 hours at the most for us, it does get a bit stinky after that I have found

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  03:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try and feed mine just after the temps drop after 9pm. Mostly they take the rat withing 5 seconds of being offered. The ritual is, take snake from viv, place in a RUB thats designated as a feed box, rat in tongs and offered to the snake. This works for 3 of the 4 snakes every time. The 4th snake, 5year old male is on hunger strike but he is happy, coming out everyday to nose around as the others do, not losing any real weight as yet so I am not overly concerned. Ill just keep offering once a week until he decides its munch time.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  09:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed mine at about 7pm, an hour before the lights go out. my jcp will take the rat as soon as its dropped in the viv, the pastel will come over to the rat and sit and look at it but wont eat until i leave the room. the only snake that doesn't always eat is my normal. i leave the rat in over night and if its still there in the morning i take it out before i go to work, so its in the viv for about 12hrs at the most. i bag it up and throw it in the skip at work (don't tell my boss lol) but he is being good at the mo taken his last two feeds within 20mins

congrats on him eating

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  09:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed at about ten to eleven at night mostt of mine are striking now apart from scar and llith but they gobblee anything up as soon as the magical winnie the pooh blanket decends over the vivs lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  09:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feed mine around 10 - 11pm although i dont think it makes much odds, if they are hungry then they tend to eat.
As for how long can you keep a rat in there, hard one really, i suppose about 4-6 hours if its in the hot end. I had Joker take one into his warm hide one night and it was there the next morning 8-9 hours later absolutely stinking. As he`s the least interested eater, once every 3 weeks, i now watch him util its gone.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000