Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  14:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as some of you may know, I've been toying with the idea of abandoning my royal breeding plans and, while keeping my royals (and corns) as pets, getting a Hogg Island boa, having fallen in love with Lotabob's Sanke. Went after one on Preloved, but it was sold ...

Been keeping an eye on the stock of an online rep shop which has a good choice of snakes at reasonable prices, and couriers them for £14/15. Although there have been no HIBs so far, a critter called a gopher snake has caught my attention.

Gopher snake? It's a colubrid, closely related to the bull and pine snakes, comes from California and surrounding regions, may grow to 6 or 9' and is often mistaken for a rattlesnake, owing to its appearance and defence display. Adult snakes are actually very placid on the whole. Husbandry is very similar to the needs of a corn snake.

Off to google. Oh boy. I'm lost. What a fabulous snake!

I get back to the shop. (I DO enquire if any HIBs are expected soon, just to delay the moment of temptation. No. Oh. So I enquire about the gopher.)

She's 4/5 months, and well grown on, about the thickness of a man's thumb. 'And an attitude to match.'

'Oh,' I say, (knowledgeably lol)'but it's all bluff, isn't it?'

'Not with this one.' An honest shop, good on them.

That does it. As with Missy, (who is calming down well but still has her moments) I can't resist a snake with an 'attitude problem.'

Think I'm going to end up as the female counterpart of Chewy on Snakebyte TV if I carry on like this.

Well, need some understanding, don't they? Special voice, bit of psychology, hmm? ... Evil little sods, but I like a challenge.

And young snakes are often nippy and zippy - she's got time to calm down ...I hope! Er, 9' and STILL nippy and zippy? What a prospect!!

She's coming on Thursday. Her name is Ziska. (Gophers come from California, right? San Francisco ... Francesca, Franziska ... Ziska.)

Eagerly awaiting Ziska!

Edited by - n/a on 19/04/2011 14:26:50

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you do make me smile bats , congrats on ur newbie ! love to see some pics wen u get her! love the name too ! and big LOL @ u bein the female chewy ! im sure with a special voice (why do we talk to them in a different tone that we would never use to anyone else?) and abit of understandin u will have her how u want her :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're insane bats, im going to send all of my aggressive hatchlings to you when I start breeding, it'll be like juvi prison for my asbo snakes

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - so I'm not the only one who uses a special snake voice - I think they like it. Missy's certainly responded - well, she hasn't bitten me yet ... touch wood!

Love the idea of hatchling bootcamp! Only it wouldn't be - I'd be cooing sweet nothings into their ears and telling them what lovely girlies and boys they were ... try a little tenderness ...

Having said that, this time next week I may be covered in tag-marks ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Join the club my mojave isn't calming down at all, time to step it up and enforce half-rations for every bite I get, mind you that might make the problem worse if he's hungry and angry lol.

Anyway goodluck with the new snakes, send some pics to somebody to upload for you so we can see him

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:43:25  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, a gopher! oooooh you got bigger balls than me and i got a name for mine!

Cant wait to see the pics and somehow i feel you will have the little one eating out of your hand in no time!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kelf and Sandi - can I email pics to you then Kelf? That would be great.

Lol - all the stuff I've found on gophers says they're pu$$ycats - vids of people strolling around California - hey, here's a gopher snake, let's pick it up and film it. It's the defence display that gets them confused with rattlesnakes. I'm assuming Ziska will mellow with time.

Erm, at least I hope so lol!

Hey, Sandi, have you heard if they've got a reputation for er, feistiness? Any extra input gratefully received - would like to learn as much as I can as there isn't a huge amount on the net.

But still eagerly awaiting Ziska!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:31:34  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dont know much about them really, only that they do a good impression of a rattler and i guess they got a reputation from that. The bull snake was the first big snake i ever handled so im a bit soft on them and they are definitely softies so im sure the gopher is full of bullish bravado really.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's the impression I got, that it was all bravado, but hatchlings can be pretty feisty until they settle down and get bigger.

OMG can't wait to get her - I could have had her couriered tomorrow but as they first suggested Thurs thought I'd wait the extra day in order to get the viv stack spot on. (Wonder why they suddenly said - well we can send her on Wed? Bet she's a right little pain in the whatsit lol!)

They are soooo beautiful! I do like boas, but as soon as I saw that broad face and bold pattern, I thought ... aah!

There IS a photo of her actually - on Blue Lizard - if you go into livestock (snakes) and scroll down to the end of snakes for sale, you come to the sold snakes, and she's there, sticking her tongue out, bless!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake but as if she had a 9 foot Gopher

Yeah, that's the impression I got, that it was all bravado, but hatchlings can be pretty feisty until they settle down and get bigger.

OMG can't wait to get heftghjkm.....

NEXT DAY, WAKEY NEWS.

CAT LADY OF WAKEY DRAGGED OFF BY HUFFING GOPHER!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - edited;

Cat lady of Wakey HYPNOTISES huffing gopher!

(Now you're a GOOD girl, aren't you?)

LOL - have to laugh - yesterday sitting on doorstep talking to kids in street ...Tristan (my mate Tristan) said: 'It's like a JUNGLE in Lil's house!'

ps have you googled vids of gophers - they are amazing!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I just visited the tube of you and every video is the gopher attacking the camera or generally rattling and hissing. It was nice knowing you BATS, lol.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - snake and cat woman of Wakey is here to stay - if you were a gopher snake, rolling along in the California brush, just minding your own business, and some trendy jogger or pesky child chased you and grabbed you to make a cute video, YOU'D huff!

Can't wait to meet Ziska!

Edited by - n/a on 19/04/2011 23:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are really cute, think I might see if you survive a week and possibly add it to the wishlist.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - like me you've weakened - I see a gopher takeover looming!!

They are drop dead gorgeous, you've got to admit!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I am about to reveal my dream snake, the ultimate climax to my collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srpE4U6DoTo

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hah - cute!

Reminds me of Kermit the frog!

Sweeeeet little thing ... just don't let THAT nibble your nose!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BATS I Found it, I can't help it but I can't help but think of this and associate it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-15mYWpmA&feature=related

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, Bob, oooh nooo!

I only watched the first few seconds! I'd never do that to my cats!!

(Now cats throwing humans - that would be a laugh!)

24 hours and Ziska will be here!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  13:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh brilliant, I'm very intrigued to see how you get on, I like animals with a bit of character, a bit of fight in them so I will need regular updates.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  15:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - you know me - there'll be updates all right!

OMG I'm counting the hours, but a good thing I delayed the courier - those vivs have not gone to plan ...

Partly it's my own fault, since I have my city and guilds in the Laurel and Hardy method of carpentry, but also ... window tracking. I'm now an authority on window tracking and glass fitting. They're in - at last - but I'm cream-crackered.

Hitching up all the electrics tonight (after a good rest) and then ...touch wood...that's me viv stack!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000