Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  16:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your not wrong, the one thing you hear more than anything on here is 'they are all different' and with Royals inparticular they really are. I have three very VERY different snakes each with their own style, Duke been the shy one needs his rat heated on top of his vivarium until its nice and warm then put in his metal dish (no other dish will do, and it has to be the right way up as discovered on Friday) then you have to turn off all the ligths in the room, the TV must be off, laptop screen off, curtains closed, basically pitch black, then the 15 minute wait (almost exactly 15 minutes every time) Duke will poke his head out of his hide, check te coast is clear, then he will very deliberately periscope to check out of the viv that he hasn't got an audience (he has spotted me once and just gone back in his hide) then just enough of him out of the hide to reach the rat then he will headbutt the rat for about 5 minutes, grab it by the nose and drag it into his hide.

The other 2 are strike feeders, I feed Spot in his viv and as he strikes and jumps up to constrict I lift him and mousey by the tail into a feeding tub unless he is up in his hammock then I leave him where he is, just to keep him off substrate when eating. Sanke strikes so hardand fast I normally jump out of my skin each time, then she plays with the mouse until its well and truely dead and eats bum first every single time.

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  21:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW - by the sounds of things it could take me a while then to discover which way poor Alice wants to be fed too x
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  22:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah they sure are fussy.

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  12:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought that I would give you all an up-date on Alice, she is still not feeding, tried the hair-dryer trick and covering her RUB and braining.
Although she did 'poo' last week! So maybe I may have a little more luck in the coming weeks.
Think I may have to join the non-feeding club!
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  18:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, so we can assume that her going to the toilet would have been her remains from the yolk as i doubt from her original wieght that she has eaten. You may need to get someone to help with an assist feed in a few weks if you dont have any luck.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  18:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw her assist fed 4 weeks ago, in the shop the man assist fed her a pinky. Although I after seeking further advice I am told, as you suggest that it could have been yolk remains.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  18:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with her - she's survived this long and is in good hands with you - I feel sure that she's got the best chance of making it.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  21:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WendyBall

I saw her assist fed 4 weeks ago, in the shop the man assist fed her a pinky. Although I after seeking further advice I am told, as you suggest that it could have been yolk remains.

I`d take her back every 5 days and get him to give her a rat pup, if he doesn`t mind, or until your brave enough to have a go, then she`ll soon get the idea.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  19:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure that I could assist her Hodgie, but I don't really want to stress her, I think another few weeks though and I may have little choice!
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  08:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that assist feeding was more stressful for me than little Mo, and once she got the idea she was away.
However i fully understand your descision and am sure you`ll do the right thing.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Managed to assist fed Alice today! I do think that I was more stressed than her! Although it was only a pinkie, I am sure that now I know what I am doing, we are heading in the right direction!

Going to leave her again for a week and then have another try and her feeding on a rat pup, if she doesn't take it, I'll have a go at assist feeding that!

Just so happy that I got something inside her
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, congrats! Was it a case of who assisted who lol?

Bless her, you must be so proud, and good luck with the rat pup next time.

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  14:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, sure was a case of who assisted who!

Defrosted a nice rat pup today, popped in into warm water, assisted with the head, and Alice coiled and then ate the rest all by herself! I am so happy!!

Going to repeat again in a weeks time, just so glad that my girl has got some food in her tummy at long last!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  14:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great and congrats again!

You know, maybe next time if you put the rat in with her, she might just take by herself; sounds like she's definitely got the idea. If she doesn't take after five or ten minutes, you could always do the assist then.

Definitely sounds like progress!

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  17:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats excellent, try with tongs, very slowly next time. She`ll soon get the idea.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  10:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update on Alice, tried leaving the rat with her, but she was not interested, so I put it to her mouth, which she opened and just put a little in, and she coiled and did the rest herself! Things are defo going the right way! I am one happy owner!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  11:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great! Well done Alice and well done you!

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  11:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent and well done
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  18:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. 1 or 2 more feeds and she`ll be away.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000