Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agnus Bunting is my first snake, a 6-8 month old captive bred royal python. I brought her home put her in the kitchen in an exo terra faunarium 18" x 12", a heat mat at one end, a hide at either end, water and some artificial leaf. She's on kitchen roll for now until she's happy and feeding. It makes it easier for me to spot mites.

I'm attempting to feed her hopper mice which is what the pet store told me to feed her. The pet shop in Manchester have said give her two more weeks and bring her back.

I'd like to get her feeding before that though.

I warm the hopper mice up under a bulb for 1/2 an hour to an hour. I've tried slightly moving the mouce on forceps but this scares her and she gets puffed up and aggressive. She striked at it twice but as aggression more than hunger.

I've tried again last night by leaving it in with her but it was still there again this morning. Please help.

Edited by - dpennington on 27/07/2011 21:38:42

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just doesn't sound hungry, not uncommon for a royal to go a month without keep, best advice at the moment is to just be patient and hope she changes her mind in time.

Sorry I can't be more help :(

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:44:22  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yep a pain in the bum when they decide to stop feeding, how often are you trying to feed as if you are trying too often this can have an adverse effect on your royal, and stress them out. How long have you had your royal, has she fed for you at all? if you can let us know this we may be able to give you better advice. Biggest piece of advice I can give you though is don't get stressed.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

yep a pain in the bum when they decide to stop feeding, how often are you trying to feed as if you are trying too often this can have an adverse effect on your royal, and stress them out. How long have you had your royal, has she fed for you at all? if you can let us know this we may be able to give you better advice. Biggest piece of advice I can give you though is don't get stressed.

I have been trying every other day. She has never fed for me. Thank you for responding.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every other day is far too often i'd try every 5 days or longer.

Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Every other day is far too often i'd try every 5 days or longer.

Will switch to every 5 days. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Just doesn't sound hungry, not uncommon for a royal to go a month without keep, best advice at the moment is to just be patient and hope she changes her mind in time.

Sorry I can't be more help :(

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  16:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your welcome, thank scuba I forgot to ask the obvious questions haha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  16:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as Kelf and Scuba have said - she is just settling in for you - some royals can be like that.

If you haven't done this already, I'd drape a towel over her faun, just leaving a bit of the front panel clear - even when they've got hides, royals do like a lot of privacy and dimness.

Love the name by the way, and all the best with her - she'll get there.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  18:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
try not to get too anxious make sure she has water and that her temps are right and leave her in a quiet environ, try to feed every week and wait one day she will they an go for months without eating and be fine we can get stressed about this but they don't - lol

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  20:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont think exo terra faunariums are very good for royals, they let in to much light and have to much ventilation, i`d be surprised if your temps are ok. Plus you really need 2 hides one at both ends, as already stated get a towel over the top completely covering 3 sides this should help the temps and make your little one feel more secure.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  23:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

dont think exo terra faunariums are very good for royals, they let in to much light and have to much ventilation, i`d be surprised if your temps are ok. Plus you really need 2 hides one at both ends, as already stated get a towel over the top completely covering 3 sides this should help the temps and make your little one feel more secure.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  23:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yeah, as Kelf and Scuba have said - she is just settling in for you - some royals can be like that.

If you haven't done this already, I'd drape a towel over her faun, just leaving a bit of the front panel clear - even when they've got hides, royals do like a lot of privacy and dimness.

Love the name by the way, and all the best with her - she'll get there.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  23:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert

try not to get too anxious make sure she has water and that her temps are right and leave her in a quiet environ, try to feed every week and wait one day she will they an go for months without eating and be fine we can get stressed about this but they don't - lol

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  11:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I managed to go home last night and resist the temptation to try and feed Agnus. I covered the top with my redundant unused fitness first towel and I'll leave her be. The vet said today to weigh her just to monitor her. This is something I've wanted to do but haven't wanted to disturb her. I will fish her out and quickly weigh her tonight.

Day one done. Four more to go until feeding attempt number 10.
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day two. She is out of her hide! Hooray. I hope to see her out a bit more. Friday is fast approaching and I am really hoping she feeds. Everyone keeps talking about these really useful boxes. Its a bit late for me to change over but I will keep my next snake in a RUB.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KITCHEN!!! A kitchen is a high traffic area of the house, and also a very smelly part of the house (not smelly as in Elephants arse more smelly as in lots and lots of smells). I wouldn't keep a snake in the kitchen, too much going on in there that has the potential to stress a snake out. Try a bedroom or dining room, living room etc, my lot are in the living room, they get peace all day as I'm not in, and peace all night as I'm in bed so they only have to deal with a few hours of me been around.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  07:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dpennington

Its a bit late for me to change over but I will keep my next snake in a RUB.

They only cost a couple of quid. They will hold the temps much better.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  09:02:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bob, i live in a first floor flat (on the street directly, so there's alot of noises around) , do u think this could be the reason why Blitz still fasting ?

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I just think your tank and hides are too big. They dont hear like we do, they sense the world around them by vibrations and with their extremely well developed sense of smell. The reason I say kitchens aren't great as an example is because in my kitchen I will have the washing machine running, maybe the fridge motor/pump thing is running, I'm cooking spag bol, steam and smells, and onions chopped up, 'oh no I burnt the mince', smokey room. A kitchen is not a settled environment, its constantly changing and in my opinion this would make it quite difficult for an easily stressed snake to feel settled.

I agree with Hodgie too, faunariums are almost totally useless for Royal Pythons, the humidity cant be held in them, ambient temps are impossible to create without heating the room they are in to the desired temperature (royals need an ambient of around 25oC) and they are strong snakes, one push to the lid and they are out of there, I've seen my Duke push a table out of the way, a faun lid would be easy.

Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

KITCHEN!!! A kitchen is a high traffic area of the house, and also a very smelly part of the house (not smelly as in Elephants arse more smelly as in lots and lots of smells). I wouldn't keep a snake in the kitchen, too much going on in there that has the potential to stress a snake out. Try a bedroom or dining room, living room etc, my lot are in the living room, they get peace all day as I'm not in, and peace all night as I'm in bed so they only have to deal with a few hours of me been around.

Not sure if I put it in an earlier post but I moved her to the living room a week in. I'd thought the kitchen would be no good so she's in the living room now. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000