Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help!!!!!!! - pep talk / advice needed!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  13:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well.... Kinky has been here for a month now. I held her twice after her first feed (i know, i know.... but i couldn't resist and used the oppotunity to weigh her ). the first time she was fine to pick up and hold or 5 minutes, but she struck at OH from acvross the room when he gotup from the sofa and took her by suprise. She was fine with me apart from striking at the side of rub after i put her away. Because this shook me a bit i picked her up again the next day and weighd her, just to make sure no nerves set in!

She has since had 3 feeds and shed last night. Anyway, last night i walked into her room and was ignoring her completely, then i noticed some shed and just peered through the wall of the rub. she was half in her hide with her tail out and she struck at the wall of the rub at me. I ignored her and carried on with what i was doing and she did it twice more. Then OH came in and I joked that she was a fiesty one, just before she did it at him too!!!!

This morning I have cleaned out her rub of last nights poop and shed and she is curled up in her hide ignoring me as usual.

This has freaked me out a bit - tonight she will be fed and Friday was duie to be the big day when I gave myself the all clear to hold her regularly

I am trying to convince myself that I caught her 'half dressed and on the loo' and she felt vunerable and that it's all hot air but secretly I'm kind of worried that I have a vicious killer beast of a snake that wants to escape and eat me as I sleep

Any advice/ experience/ tips welcome and very much needed!??!!!!

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From time to time your bound to startle her and her only response built in is strike. I did it to Duke he struck at my face but I knew I'd made him jump so he just made me jump too. During shedding they are vunerable and just want to be left alone, they dont mind telling you that in the only way they know how, hissing and striking. Doesn't sound aggresive at all, maybe just a bit jumpy, regular short handling will help her get used to you and take the fact that even though she has struck a few times she hasn't bit you, its all a big show. It may also be a sign she feels a little bit overexposed in her RUB try covering some of the sides, stick some paper over three sides and half the lid and see if that helps.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been bit a few times over the last couple of years, once by a very hungry king snake who took my thumb to be a pinkie mmouse/rat, and then by my corn snakes and to be honest it never made me think they were nasty snakes, I'd just caught them at the wrong moments, after all they can have grumpy days just like us humans and as bob has said the snake reacted the only way they know, you probably just caught kinky on an off day or by surprise, I really wouldn't over think it and just remember that every time you pick your snake up do it with confidence like you've done it thousands of times, and given time the stricking should stop because the snake will gain confidence in you. Good luck with Kinky

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

it never made me think they were nasty snakes

Thanks guys..... i think I've just had a little panic because we haven't been able to start with the handling yet! Was due to get cracking after her last feed but then she went into blue so I decided to leave her to it!
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  15:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some snakes just are more inclined to strike than others, I have some which I could tease and harras and they still wouldn't bite and other ones that bite me for no reason, just a chance you take when you get a snake. They do however seem to get better as they get older :D

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  16:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, she sounds to be doing really well with you, a greedy cheeky madam, and I wonder if this is a feeding response strike. My smaller female, Saada, is very gentle and quiet - but once, as she saw her rat approaching, she struck at the window of her viv. I know Kinky's strikes haven't been on her feeding days but some snakes just are plain greedy and can strike at anything in a fit of wishful thinking.

I've had a few feeding response bites myself - my fault for actually fiddling about with the prey (which I know you haven't done) and they tickled. I DO have a bitey snake (the redoubtable Ziska) who sometimes bites when I pick her up, but that is gophers, she's very young yet, and she tickles too. The only time she hurt/drew blood was when I very stupidly (on feeding day too lol!) moved her piece of driftwood, forgetting that madam was expecting a warm rat. She struck as my hand moved upwards; I jumped a mile as she'd been nowhere in sight. I felt terribly apologetic ...

My advice would be (and it may be hard for the next few times) if she strikes again, freeze. She may not bite, or she may strike and hit you with a sensation like velcro. Think of it as a baby budgie pecking you - well, I imagine baby budgie might hurt more lol. She may not even bite; she may just strike and draw back. Then I'd advise picking her up (even if she strikes again, just keep your hand slowly moving; once you've done it, it will be easier to go on doing this) and talking to her and telling her she's a good girl ...(I know, I'm a sentimental fool and proud of it ...)

Whatever the reason for the strike, you will have taken the wind out of her sails so to speak. She'll learn that if she strikes you won't retreat; you'll pick her up and talk to her. I once read that if a snake is agitated, keep holding it until it calms. Well, this is what I do with Ziska and it works for us. Apart from feeding days of course. Then I only approach her preceded by ratty on tongs, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Good luck with her; she's very young, and hatchlings of any species can be a bit feisty. I bought Missy as a young adult with an 'attitude problem'; she's a corn and would strike at anything, but with the above treatment she's calmed - and has never bitten me, even at her worst.

All the very best - you'll be fine.

Edited by - n/a on 13/07/2011 16:19:04
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  22:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say she is in a rub, is it covered with just one side visible or is it in full open view (like on a table top)? If itsnot covered it may be wise to just put a towel over the top and 3 sides to make your little one feel more at ease. It should then calm down over the next few weeks.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  08:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is in a purple 9l rub with 2 hides. It is in the corner of the utility room which is a room that only i go in so 2 sides are permanently covered and i usually make sure i leave the empty recycling bottles and mini hoover infront aswell to give her a bit of extra cover! Looks messy but works for me!!!

I should have fed her on Tuesday but didn't becauise she was about to shed so maybe it was a feeding response? She is a greedy little thing! I may try her with double helpings next time!
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2011 :  11:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try not to worry LucyB, she was probably just a bit surprised is all - she sounds like a very well fed and happy python :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber