New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bluepoolshark
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to kempton in august and will be getting our first snake which will be a CB11 royal of some type, morph to be decided by other half and my daughter as I chose our leos and crestie, they have decided they are going to pick the snake!!

I have got my 9ltr RUB sorted, a 6" x 11" heatmat complete with pulse stat as I prefer them as they keep a much more stable temp.

What I am confused about is what size hide to get. I like the lucky reptile range but will the small size be big enough or should I get mediums. Not worried about the cost but want to make sure I get things right!

Sorry if this seems a silly question!

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know the lucky reptile range but I know that royals grow pretty fast, I normally go for the middle size exo-terra hides with my little royals

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  14:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A royal will outgrow a small in weeks, you'd be better with mediums and just fill it with a bit of substrate to make the space inside a bit smaller. Thinking back Duke was 400 grams when I got him and he fit into a exo terra medium, but he didn't last long in it, at 512 grams he started wearing it as a hat so I got him the large. Hope that helps.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  16:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get him the small and medium el-cheapo plastic hides (they sell them in the reptile shows here in the US for $1.50 a piece) and then get the permanent large hide. They grow fairly fast but you don't want to get a big hide for an itty-bitty snake. The rule of thumb is a hide small enough that the snake's body touches the sides of the hide when he's coiled.

Or you can just get the large hide and stuff it with crumpled newspaper to make it small. This is normally a pain to clean out though.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  16:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to kempton also, but I am told that theres no real bargains to be had there so keep an eye on your wallet

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  16:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the best hides for young royals are the cardboard tubes from kitchen rolls - they jam themselves in and you don't see much of them but the snake is really happy ...In fact, if you're not bothered about the look of the thing, any appropriately sized cardboard carton or box - with NO tape on it - is great and can be chucked if the snake makes a mess in it.

Although I know you're not worried about the cost, a bargain is still a bargain and the cheapest (and some of the most attractive imo) hides around are, to my knowledge, the 'Trixie' brand hides from Surrey Pet Supplies - and with this range, measurements are supplied, which is a boon. They look like rugged boulders, but are plastic and very easy to clean.

Edited by - n/a on 13/07/2011 16:36:25
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2011 :  22:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, the best hides for young royals are the cardboard tubes from kitchen rolls - they jam themselves in and you don't see much of them but the snake is really happy ...In fact, if you're not bothered about the look of the thing, any appropriately sized cardboard carton or box - with NO tape on it - is great and can be chucked if the snake makes a mess in it.

x2

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000