Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  15:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know this is really nothing to be proud of ...

I don't know, it's chaos at Chateau Bats just lately. In addition to other stuff, the bathroom was plunged into darkness on Friday, the washing machine flooded this morning, and I was quite relieved at the soothing prospect of feeding Shahi, whose small rat had defrosted in the fridge overnight and was warming up in its plastic bag in a sunny window.

For months now Shahi's feeding programme has been as follows:

Put rat on to gratin dish with tongs and warm with hairdryer, turning with tongs, never with fingers. When nice and hot, take dish in to bedroom, open Shahi's viv, lift his hide off him, pick him up and point him in the direction of his climbing branch, where he arranges himself, eyes shining, eager for his rat. I HAVE tried presenting ratty at ground level but Shahi says no, he likes to be up on his climbing branch, so that's what we do.

Today everything went smoothly until I picked him up. A hefty boy now. Needs both hands to hold him comfortably. I pointed him at his climbing branch - but he whipped round and grabbed a finger on my right hand, while coiling hard round my left hand. And he meant business!

'Shahi, you little ...' This hurt, just a bit. It was like having my finger crushed in a door, with broken glass. His teeth were embedded, and I could feel him taking my finger down his gullet ...ouch!

Manacled, I grabbed the bathroom light pull with my teeth, and got the light on. Keeping both hands as still as I possibly could, as the slightest movement would stimulate a tighter coil and more enthusiastic bite, I went to the sink and managed to get the cold tap full on with my elbow (thank god for those capstan taps - the smooth sort would have been useless!)

I held him, still tightly coiled and gripping me, so that the cold water rushed into his mouth and over his head. Poor Shahi! At first I thought that it wasn't going to work; then his coils relaxed slightly; he opened his mouth, and I was able to ease free. Splashed with my gore, he subsided into the sink, looking surprised and hurt. What was all that for? Been feeding hadn't he? Good boy for feeding, should be proud of him! What was with the cold shower then? I hastily turned off the tap and, apologising profusely, swaddled him in my bathtowel before returning him to his viv.

Would he still feed? I put him up on his branch and proffered the rat. He looked a bit doubtful. Still oozing gore (the snake comes first) I rushed to rewarm the rat, and this time he took it and all was well. Leaving him constricted about the rat I took these photos -

and cleaned up with Hibiscrub. He had taken the top two joints of my finger full into his mouth and the finger looks a bit puffy and blue now, but no teeth were in it, thank goodness, although python teeth are apparently more expendable than we realise; they may shed them as a matter of course when eating; the teeth regrow.

I returned to watch him placidly taking down his rat. For the first time, as the white belly of the rat eased past his lower jaw, I saw his windpipe sticking out, so as to breathe while his mouth was full of rat. Fascinating!

So, he's a big boy now. He's a man. No longer is he being picked up just before feeding. Ratty will be presented at the mouth of the hide and he can do his worst with it - I've learned my lesson.

Yes, you may laugh!

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  15:28:06  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OUCH! that looks sore and your description made me wince.

Might be a good idea to keep some listerine on top of the viv

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  15:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - he's never getting the chance again, and the way he'd got me, I couldn't have opened a bottle of listerine.

Plus, call me soft, but I just couldn't put that stuff near a snake. The cold water, turned on full, worked fine.

Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

90 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  16:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Just his way of telling you he's all grown up I'm still waiting to be tagged, but with a boa and an IJ jag I imagine I won't be waiting too long!

Hope your poor fingers ok

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  16:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - thanks, it's nearly back to normal, thanks to the hibiscrub.

Poor guy, he was just doing what comes naturally to a red-blooded python - no doubt a whiff of hot rat came into his viv with my warm hands and what happened next was all my fault.

Yes, you've more chance of being tagged by the boa and IJJ - royals are usually far more peaceable - but when aware of food in the offing, a hungry royal is a force to be reckoned with - even if its owner still sees it as that cute little baby lol!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  17:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha christ that is a nice picture :D
I got in drunk the other night and forgot I had a load of rats defrosting, don't like re-freezing so I just fed them while drunk, couldn't find my tongs so used my hands... I guarentee you if I saw this thread I'd not be hand feeding my snakes lol!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  17:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy - you were lucky!!

Drunk in charge of a bundle of ...ha, ratarsed lol? Sounds like fun!

Saffy's about the only snake I could hand-feed; she's so utterly gentle that she'll lie there with her mouth open, waiting for me to insert a rodent.

Well, famous last words lol!

I've thought of Shahi for so long as my baby that I've completely underestimated him as an adult python in hunting mode ...bless him!

Next feeding day I'll have the sense to realise that here is an adult python etc etc and treat him with respect ...

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  17:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch that looks painfil. I think i'll definately leave the hand feeding to the OH. He's discovered leather gloves now though.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  18:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it wasn't the feeding exactly - it was me thinking it was okay to pick the lad up beforehand - many people put their royal into a separate rub to feed and it's fine, but I reckon they must keep the whiff of ratty away from the snake until it's safely in the rub. I'd taken care not to touch the rat at all, but of course a snake has an incredible sense of smell - he knew it was about somewhere and when he felt my warm hand he just got his wires crossed, poor chap. Or rather followed his instincts.

For months now I've helped him up on to his climbing branch and then offered the rat on tongs (Wilkinsons kitchen tongs with plastic grips, £2 approx) but looks like he's grown out of that. Since he obviously gets fired up and in hunting mode the minute his viv's opened (Which is great!) he'll get ratty offered on tongs at ground level in future ...

Love him, he just took me by surprise though!

Edited by - n/a on 15/08/2011 18:05:11
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Today everything went smoothly until I picked him up. A hefty boy now. Needs both hands to hold him comfortably. I pointed him at his climbing branch - but he whipped round and grabbed a finger on my right hand, while coiling hard round my left hand. And he meant business!
perhaps you had scent on your hand.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  18:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:
perhaps you had scent on your hand.

No - that's just it - I make it a rule to only touch the rat with tongs, which are 1' long approx. But scent probably wafted into the viv, and of course my hands are warm ...as I say, we've had the same routine for months but it never does to assume everything will go to plan. He's a big lad now, not a baby.

But at least he ate his rat in the end, despite having had a taste of Bats!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  20:56:46  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Flip! you were lucky, that could have been worse for both of you!

I use tongs with Boris but not always with Florence so i think i will from now on! She is in a voracious feeding phase right now so i will bear your words in mind!!!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  21:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True - I'm just so thankful that the cold water didn't cool his ardour - he was so clearly puzzled as to why he'd been stuck under it for a nice strong feeding response ...poor guy!

Still, who wouldn't exchange a bony finger for a hot fat rat? I gave him loads of praise and it probably went down all the better with a lingering flavour of Bats' ketchup lol!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  22:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
No - that's just it - I make it a rule to only touch the rat with tongs, which are 1' long approx. But scent probably wafted into the viv, and of course my hands are warm ...as I say, we've had the same routine for months but it never does to assume everything will go to plan. He's a big lad now, not a baby.

thats odd then,seems very un-royal like to strike you like that.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  22:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

thats odd then,seems very un-royal like to strike you like that.

I think it was just a case of, ah, she's picking me up to put me on my branch as it's feeding day ...ah, I can smell ratty, well, what's this then? A warm finger or a warm rat? Don't care - nom!

Any scent of food, coupled with the heat pits on their faces directing them towards the nearest warmth, turn hungry royals into eating machines, and in a lot of cases that's the one time you may get a feeding response bite if you're not careful.

And I just wasn't careful enough ...

Edited by - n/a on 15/08/2011 22:26:33
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  11:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, rather you than me I'm afraid!

Good idea about the cold shower though, I don't know if I would have thought of that. Dunno what I would have thought!

How's your finger now then? Feeling sorry for its-self no doubt?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  11:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - the finger's fine! A bit of a bruise and a couple of scratches, that's all.

I'm just kicking myself for letting the whole thing happen, luckily he's a great placid lump these days - and as you know, he loves water, so it didn't put him off his grub.

I'd read before about sticking the snake's head under cold water if it had hold of you - and as you'll know yourself when there's an animal emergency, you just do cope. The chief thing was to keep as still as possible because any movement would have aroused Shahi's instinct to grip tighter so as to make sure my left hand was 'dead.'

I'm cross with myself though, for understanding the cause of a feeding response bite (smell of rat, coupled with warm object such as human hand) and then letting Shahi in for that experience. The poor chap is curled up in his hide now, sleeping off the rat ...and next time if he wants to feed from his branch, he'll have to climb up there by himself.

Edited by - n/a on 16/08/2011 11:43:36
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  14:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch bet it was more of a shock then painful

Oh the joys of royals hey lol ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  14:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I did go ouch at first, but then had to concentrate on getting him to release me, poor guy.

Certainly can't fault his feeding response these days ...

Tomorrow he's coming out for a cuddle - and not a word about biting lol.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  17:23:36  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

LOL - I did go ouch at first, but then had to concentrate on getting him to release me, poor guy.

Certainly can't fault his feeding response these days ...

Tomorrow he's coming out for a cuddle - and not a word about biting lol.

oooooooooh and ouch!! just read the first post, sounds bloody painful! ... but like you said can't fault the feeding response!! i love the fact that he gets a big towel cuddle afterwards !

hope he's on best behaviour tomorrow!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  18:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - in the absence of a hot rat he'll be my own lad again, bless him.

Will post a pic.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000