Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  13:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Kax' intrigued me as well, because in the 80s when I was making a foray into science fiction writing, 'Kax' was the name of a benign alien race oppressed by evil earthlings ...lol.

I didn't know where the name came from either!

A very nice snake!

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  18:44:31  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was just one of those random names that sort of stuck (it might also have something to do with when i was younger i had a character on an mmorpg called 'kaxarog')
Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  01:59:18  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3rd successful feed at home tonight, im so proud :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  12:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  19:24:22  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Someone may already have mentioned this as I haven't read all the replies, but she looks a little big to be just on rat pups.
The pictures may be deceiving or something, but just something to check up on

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  19:30:26  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling they might be aswell, ive been feeding her every 5 days. According to the shop i got her from she had only just moved onto pups when i picked her up. Im not sure of her weight at the moment because i still need some scales :s Is there a guide to a snakes weight that shows the right size rat to give her?

how do i know if she has had enough to eat? are there any noticeable signs that show if she is still hungry or not?

Edited by - JerryC4 on 15/10/2011 15:47:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  16:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JerryC4

I have a feeling they might be aswell, ive been feeding her every 5 days. According to the shop i got her from she had only just moved onto pups when i picked her up. Im not sure of her weight at the moment because i still need some scales :s Is there a guide to a snakes weight that shows the right size rat to give her?

how do i know if she has had enough to eat? are there any noticeable signs that show if she is still hungry or not?

Oh hey up they'll be teasing me again for quoting Blackecho's feeding guide, but it is a good one lol.

If you've no scales, a good guide is to feed a prey item no larger than the girth of your snake, otherwise feed 10/15% of your snake's weight.

Blackecho's guide -

0-400g royal - feed every 5 days
400-800g royal - every 7 days
800-1200g royal - every 10 days
1200+royal - every 14 days.

I've found this guide pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  19:35:52  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just found out that she is 120g :) i found some scales in the house, they were on top of the fridge, im surprised i never saw them before.
and the food ive been feeding her is about 7 grams per pup :s, do you think i need to buy bigger food straight away, or just feed her more often until this runs out?
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  19:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If that was me I'd go for 15/18 grams every 5 days

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  19:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, if you've got a few pups left in the freezer, try her with a couple at each feed, but don't worry if she only takes one - she'll know how to pace herself. But I wouldn't feed her oftener than five day intervals, so as to give her chance to digest. Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  20:06:40  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, does that work even if she is strike feeding? she doesnt actually eat food in there thats just been left, first time i tried feeding her she ignored it if it was just laying there but struck straight away.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  20:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi D3l we overlapped - but said same thing lol.

Hi, Jerry, if she's strike feeding, just wait until the tail of the first one disappears. She may yawn and waggle her jaw, and still be looking around ...then offer her the second pup, nose warmed ...hopefully she'll still be in hunting mode and grab it. But if not, she's still got something under her belt - sounds like she's doing fine!

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  20:55:23  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks guys :)
Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  21:52:54  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive noticed that after feeding she looks like she is still hunting for a few hours after, (as in neck in an s shape out of her hide, looking around and smelling with her tongue alot), am i right in thinking she is still hungry? or is this normal behavior?
Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:15:28  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive got some good new photos of her feeding :)
you can get an idea of the size of the pups compared to her (i fed her two this time and she struck both times :))

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good lass! Nice one!

I nearly said, if a snake's restless after one feed item, it might need another - but I've found with some snakes, notably corns and my gopher, you can feed them as much as is safe and they'll STILL roam round hunting, but in the case of your girl, looks like the two pups are just right and when those are done she'll take a fuzzy with no trouble. Clever girl, congrats!

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:29:43  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i do love how she doesnt mind me taking photos of her while shes eating :) Shes really tame and acts like she doesnt actually care about the presence of people watching.
is it unsafe to feed her more than two pups for one feed then (each pup is 7 grams)? is it unusual for royals to keep looking out for food once they have had their fill?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless her - she sounds very laid back. 2 pups or a fuzzy eventually sound ideal for her weight.

It's hard to say as to whether it's normal for them to be restless after feeding. I think if you know you've given them the right amount, even if they roam a bit afterwards, they're fine, just a bit excited. Some snakes are greedy! My gopher's terrible for that lol and would stuff herself forever - not good for her, even if she does guilt me ...

Go to Top of Page

JerryC4
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  23:06:09  Show Profile  Click to see JerryC4's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well she doesnt roam around, she just sits like this

its just too cute
Ive got 4 pups left in the freezer, so i think ill be feeding her 2 ever feed until they are gone and ill get her some fuzzies for her to munch on :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  23:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw bless, she looks pretty smug to me (still on lookout maybe but very satisfied and full of herself.) Lovely girl, you must be proud!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000