Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Benefit of feeding in a seperate enclosure?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I covered this in another thread, if so i'm sorry

It's a month today that we brought Slinky home, and I was just after your views on this topic.

Does it reduce the risk of being tagged if fed in a separate tub?

Not so much for myself, but rather my daughter who handles both Slinky and Fea.

Thanks
Janie

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd say it increases the risks, after you feed the guy you need to move him back and quite often he can be expecting another meal to come down instead of a hand.
I feed all mine in their viv's and they all know the difference bettween feeding time and handling time as soon as the glass slides open.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think so. It's best to feed with tongs anyway, and the worst feeding response bite I ever got was while lifting Shahi up to feed on his climbing branch, which he used to like me to do; I might as well have been lifting him out into a feeding rub. (And my hands had no smell of rat on them either.) So I like to feed in-viv.

They're keen on feeding days but I find on other occasions, even the keenest don't act as if my fingers are food.

Erm, touch wood of course.

Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i feed mine in separate tub,the main reason being no substate in tub just kitchen towel,allso i do think it helps that every time you put your hand in viv they are not expecting food,because when i put him in his feeding tub his behaviour seems to change like he know what coming.

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  18:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have always fed in the vivs, never had any problems doing it that way

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  20:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always fed in a tub for the same reason as jimmer and never had a problem until I got ariadne and the greedy little madam has tagged me a couple of times while putting her back in her viv, the last time being last night, but cerberus has never ever attempted to tag me at anytime, I think it's more to do with the attitude of the snake if it's laid back you should find you'll never have a problem, but if it's highly strung it's always going to be a gamble when they are fed...

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  20:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone,

I fed both in a separate tub tonight, mainly cos they are in fauns and newspaper. Often blood is smeared and i'd have to take the snake out to change the paper.

*grins* Rep, I know what you mean, Fea the Boa always look like he's about to strike, but doesn't..maybe lulling me into a false sense of security LOL

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  21:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed mine in a separate tub when I can (sometimes when he's in a bad mood i just leave him in his viv) and when he's finished all i gotta do is lift his tub up and over to his viv and he takes himself back into his home and into his hide

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  21:20:04  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
IMHO, I think it's up to the snake if he/she is aggresive you'll be tagged no matter what you do, and if he/she is calm you won't be tagged.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Shahi was a baby I got him into the routine of a separate feeding rub, and he was good as gold about being picked up before and after feeding; then after the fast he made a fuss and balled up when food was offered, or went mad trying to get out - hmmm, you could say he trained me lol. Then he made up his mind to feed from his climbing branch and I'd just give him a boost under his fat bottom and up he'd go and be ready for the rat ...until the day when he, in all innocence, mistook my hand for the rat. When my girls came they were adult and quite shy at first and I'd been told they liked to feed in-viv, so I went along with their routine.

As for Shiva, the last time I opened his window on feeding day, he was there! I didn't even have time to warm the rat - he wanted it! No way would I have put my hand in there with him, although the night before he was desperate to come out for a cuddle and although it was only 12 hours or so till his feed, he was soppy.

I think, as has been said, it depends on the snake and what it becomes accustomed to as its feeding routine.

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:45:22  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always feed in the viv, but i also defrost the rats in another room so that I can still have some handling time and not get bitten before my lil man is fed.

i dont know if it helps but i always waft the smell of the rat in the viv about five minutes before feeding so that he knows its coming and he certainly knows when its coming lol, hes like a snake possessed.

and by doing that i am trying to teach him not to strike at anything and everything that enters the viv i.e my hand at walkies time

could be misguided but iv never had any problems doing this

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

I always feed in the viv, but i also defrost the rats in another room so that I can still have some handling time and not get bitten before my lil man is fed.

i dont know if it helps but i always waft the smell of the rat in the viv about five minutes before feeding so that he knows its coming and he certainly knows when its coming lol, hes like a snake possessed.

and by doing that i am trying to teach him not to strike at anything and everything that enters the viv i.e my hand at walkies time

could be misguided but iv never had any problems doing this

Not misguided at all! Sounds good!

I can't get over how they KNOW when it's feeding day, before a whiff of rat reaches them. Shiva's last rat was coming to warm room temp in a sealed plastic bag - but before I opened the bag to give ratty a blast with the hairdryer and waft the scent into his viv, he knew it was dinnertime ...and they all do. I can count on hopeful heads appearing from hides on the appropriate day - yet even the ones who are tigers for their grub are totally soppy when being handled on non-feeding days.

Snakes aren't daft!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  09:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed mine outside the vivs,Mainly to handle them for abit before there feeds etc,and to check/clean there homes.

But then again it depends on the snake,One will not eat outside her rub.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only advantage to feeding outside the viv is it reduces the risk of ingesting substrate. For Duke I feed in the viv and without anything covering the substrate, its the only way he will eat but the other 2 are both fed out of the viv if possible. I agree with the comment feeding out increases the risk of getting bitten, my Boa is a demon around food and after food she has to sit for a while before I can even take the lid off and if I can I tip the rub and let her take herself home. Spot is not an issue with feeding, he will eat anywhere if he is up in his tree house away from the substrate I'll feed him in there if he is on the floor its into the g-rub.

Now against even my own beliefs my Boa was fed out of her rub (when she lived in one) and was fine, then I tried feeding in her rub and she did become more nippy and shot out expecting food every time the lid was off. Now she is in her vivarium I feed out of the viv and she isn't nippy any more except around food.

Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm alot of opinions..thanks its really Fea my Boa..I feed him in a separate tub atm but I do leave him for a few mins after he has finished. He keeps a defined S shape, altho saying that, last feed I picked him up while in that position, and he just looked threatening.

I still don't know what to do for the best LOL

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  15:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always feed out of the viv, for a variety of reasons. A, I have them cohabiting, B, It was recommended to me to separate home and dinner and c, it keeps the substrate cleaner.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000