Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delterflier
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  22:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all

got a problem,i just picked up a 3ft viv frm a guy on gumtree,now he said it had water damage to the floor.
apparently the owner before the seller didnt use aspin but soil instead

well now upon giving it a spray of f10 and a wipe round i put a heat bulb in to help dry it out and now it smells like cat pee

i have a tray of coffee granuals in there now to try and combat the smell but i dnt think its going to work.

so aside from replacing the floor what can i do?

i think its a vivexotic lx 36,could i order the floor from them?

cherrs john

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  22:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. I think what has happened is that humidity in the viv has got into the floor (is it swollen?) and a snake has had a wee in it ...one wee will do it - I had a smashing hollow bamboo and Shahi peed in it ...ewww!!! It's been in the garden since.

I've had to renew a viv floor - I went and got a panel of melamine from Wickes and cut it to size - plenty over. It cost me £13 - I reckon what I used for the viv cost me £5. Perhaps you have a diy shop locally that might cut you a piece to size.

Maybe vivexotic would sell you a floor, but with the delivery cost you might be just as well buying a panel locally.

If a lousy carpenter like me can do this - you can lol - good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  22:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It water has gotten inside the chipboard its possible that its moulded inside. I hope you didnt pay a lot but if the chip board is blown its going to be easier and cheaper to replace the panel than it is to repair. If its clean inside but still smells thats the only thing I can think of, either that or they kept a skunk in it.

Edited by - Lotabob on 18/01/2012 22:54:29
Go to Top of Page

delterflier
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  06:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, after meshering it it turns ou it's a vx model and inside and out Is nere on perfect condition.
I got it for £50.00 and got a light fitting and large heat mate with it as well .

Cherrs john
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  08:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good - only thing I can think of in that case is the caulking - is it thinly caulked, because snake urine could have seeped through the joins and got into the chipboard and caused the smell. (Some people assemble a viv and don't caulk with aquarium sealant - imagine the state of that in a couple of years' time.)

Hope you manage to sort the problem.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  13:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah check the sealant around all the edges, it may be a bit is missing or its all missing, if it is take it apart and deep clean the edges then re-seal the whole lot with the above mentioned aquarium sealant oh and do it somewhere well ventilated I climbed inside my vivarium to seal the roof and by the time I'd done half of one I was as high as a kite been flown from a hot air balloon, I was smashed for hours. Just glad the animals were else where.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  14:16:40  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i bought some of that plastic see through table cover type stuff to sort of line the bottom of the vivs (when i EVER get round to building them LOL)... seems like a good plan to combat epic royal wee wee rotting the wood over time, as well as sealing the edges too.

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  17:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only one of my vivs is sealed(came like that) maybe i should get some sealant

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  17:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely would - save you a lot of trouble later on.

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1

The 2 smaller sizes come with a self-pumping gadget; the largest size needs to be used with a caulking gun. If you want to be really lavish, I'd recommend the large size for 2 or more vivs, all over; I did 7 viv floors and partway up the sides with the same size though.

Yeah, the first vivs I bought were uncaulked - luckily I got round to them before any large-scale disasters.

Edited by - n/a on 19/01/2012 17:47:47
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  18:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whilst I agree with everyone about snake pee pee smelly less than fresh lol but could it be left over bacteria from the soil that used to be in there? if the base has either blown or not been caulked some nasty smelling bugs could've made a nice home for themselves given the heat and humidity in a snake viv, if that's the case it may be you will never get rid of the smell and could even be why the person who sold it did so quite cheap, because he might've tried unsuccessfully sry to be negative

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

delterflier
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  22:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got a new floor, it's White as it was cheaper an it's not guns be seen anyway but to make it match I ironed on the same colour edging .
The guy gave me some silicone for aquariums so sealed it everywhere lol
And btw lotabob you was rite , as I rite this I am currently floating round the room lol

Pics

The old floor

Cherrs john
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  07:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good choice to replace it as it had definitely blown, nice job

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  11:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah very nice job! Looks like there were some holes in the old base so that really wouldnt have helped it stay sealed.

I've just sealed my new viv, great fun those fumes, reminded me of college ;) though the last few edges may have got a bit wonky...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000