Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  10:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Anatess - Yeah it's inside the viv. Basically to cut a long story short, three months ago I didn't know a damn thing about snakes, and bought Monty from a local petshop as a "starter package" which included everything you need (and I use the word need subjectively) - 3foot wooden with with a heatmat.

Since then, I've come to learn that heat mats can in extreme cases cause burns - Monty however is still only small (400grams) and doesn't weigh enough to shift all the substrate out of the way and sit directly on the mat.

Regardless, the intention has always been to ditch the heat mat once she gets a little bigger - I've now brought this forward and will be getting rid of the heatmat next weekend and fitting a statted ceramic - not because I'm worried about her getting burned, but because in my opinion, they are ineffective for providing an ambient heat gradient.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

Edited by - Se7enS1ns on 18/03/2012 10:38:53
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  13:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se7enS1ns

Hi Anatess - Yeah it's inside the viv. Basically to cut a long story short, three months ago I didn't know a damn thing about snakes, and bought Monty from a local petshop as a "starter package" which included everything you need (and I use the word need subjectively) - 3foot wooden with with a heatmat.

Since then, I've come to learn that heat mats can in extreme cases cause burns - Monty however is still only small (400grams) and doesn't weigh enough to shift all the substrate out of the way and sit directly on the mat.

Regardless, the intention has always been to ditch the heat mat once she gets a little bigger - I've now brought this forward and will be getting rid of the heatmat next weekend and fitting a statted ceramic - not because I'm worried about her getting burned, but because in my opinion, they are ineffective for providing an ambient heat gradient.

Oi! I got you now! Took me a while... but hey, I'm Filipino, I have an excuse! LOL!

When using under-belly heat, the ambient heat is very much affected by the room temperature. So, to get good ambient heat, the room needs to be close to where you want ambient temps to be then the heat that rises from the heat mat (okay, I keep on saying heat mat - I actually don't use heat mat, I use Flexwatt which is a heat TAPE) only has to account for a little bit more as the heat rises.

The room my royals are in is set to 78F (uhm, my entire house is set to 78F). I get ambient of 82F inside my royal's viv with a 92F hot side.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  13:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, join the club, Sevens - that was how I bought my first viv, starter kit: unstatted heatmat, unstatted bulb ...luckily I found a forum before any damage was done and got many surprises ...uh? Thermostat? What's that?

Off topic, sorry, but I wish shops wouldn't sell these 'kits' - I mean, when you're a complete novice you think the shop knows best ...

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly BATS - The viv also came with a full UV lighting rig, so what, £50-60 worth of gear totally unneeded!?

Since I stated the mat in her viv, Monty is spending a lot more time in her hot hide. After spending a full two takes taking temps, I found it was just getting way too hot in there, so she was spending probably 80-90% of her time at the cold end, or somewhere inbetween. This normally wouldn't be a problem with say an IR or ceramic setup, but as heat mats fail to heat up ambient temp suffiently, the cold end is only around 22 degrees C. Way too cold, I'm surprised the poor little sod hasn't developed a sniffly nose or worse.

Kinda annoyed at the petshop for selling inadequate setups - they should not supply them without thermostats, in my opinion.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000