Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:31:21  Show Profile
Hey everyone i'm new to this site but been reading thru and u guys seem to know ur stuff so thought i wld sign up and see if someone cld give me a lil bit of advice.
My royal is about 6yrs old and has been quite happily feeding on large mice but recently i've noticed that a cpl of days after i've fed her she looks like she's on the hunt again for more food.

Shld i be trying to give her something larger or is she just being greedy?
Any advice much appreciated, thanx

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:35:44  Show Profile
a adult royal should be having adult/lge rats not mice...

wots her weight...?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:36:32  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
a bit more info would be great what wieght is she. is she getting 1 mouse or multiples?

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:37:55  Show Profile
p.s Hi and welcome...

Go to Top of Page

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:51:49  Show Profile
hey guys, em i'm not sure wot weight she is. i kinda of accquired her when my ex and i broke up and all i knew was that he was feeding her mice.
my ex tried her with a rat once and she seemed to take it but in the morning it was still in the tank and all slimey like she had brought it bk up.
it's just one mouse. i feel awful now cause she's obviously still hungry isn't she? :(
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:54:24  Show Profile
i wouldnt worry too much...i have a snake that hasnt eaten in 6 months...they are design to last without food for along time with no ill effects...

Go to Top of Page

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:00:56  Show Profile
Norri did that to me too but i think it was down to me just taking over from my ex and not bein too sure about wot i was doin. i was just happy when she started eating again i didn't think too much about wot and how much etc
so do u think i shld try her with a rat and see how she gets on? i take it u get diff sizes like the mice? shld i go for medium size? soz for all the questions.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:04:14  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
i would try rats but after 6 years you might struggle to make the change. i would go for a rat weaner at first to get her started and then move up the sizes with each feed.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:05:04  Show Profile
generally the prey should be about 10% of the weight of the snake :) so if you weigh her it will help you when sussing out what size you need :D
welcome btw :D
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:07:06  Show Profile
if i were you i would get some weener rats and try her on them...they are like junvenile rats. so not too big.

you said she regurged last time but that could be down to afew things. Is all her set up and temps ok....? Plus you know not to handle for 24/48 hours after feeding...? Also if she had a rat that was to big for her she would bring it back up...

have a read through the care sheet and see if your meeting all her needs. orpost some pics for us to have a look.

Go to Top of Page

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:13:52  Show Profile
thanx guys i'll pinch my mum's scales the morro and weigh her (won't tell my mum that i'm takin them tho she'd freak if she knew it was to weigh Norri lol)
yeah i know not to handle her and after a few false starts (the non eating period) i've got her set up and temps rite.
how do i put a pic up?
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:15:22  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
follow the instuctions in this link http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4

Go to Top of Page

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:26:54  Show Profile
ok goin to try to put up a pic of norri in her tank. taken with my mobi so maybe not the best pic in the world but here goes.......

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:34:24  Show Profile
looks a great set up...

how long is the viv...?(just so we can get a idea of lenght of norri) also snake dont like flourescent tubes. they flicker. humans cant see it but snakes can. Has she been in that viv long...? How do you heat it...heat mat? is it stat controlled...?

Go to Top of Page

linerbabe
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:39:21  Show Profile
the viv is 4ft long and heated with a heat mat with a habistat temp control. didnt know that bout the light thing - oops been in it for almost a yr now. wot kind of lighting shld i have for the tank?
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  23:29:27  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
doesnt need lighting except for natural light. one sugestion i would make and it doesnt help the snake directly but get a viv lock if you dont already cis she could easily push those doors open. nice set up tho

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  02:22:58  Show Profile
WELCOME TO THE FORUM LINERBABE!

I Love your viv! It is pretty cool. Yeah, that snake is definitely too big for 1 mouse. Okay, if you can't get the scale, you can eye-ball the biggest part of the snake. The rodent should be the same size around as the biggest part of the snake - you can even go a tad bit bigger (just a tad). So, for that size snake, a rat would be appropriate.

But, like everybody said, he's been feeding on mice for a very long time so he might not switch to rats anymore. So, my suggestion is, try a rat the same size as the mouse you've been feeding him on his next feed. If he takes it, then stick with the rat and just gradually increase the size until you get to the rat that is as big around as the biggest part of the snake's body. If he won't take the rat, go back to the mouse but offer 2 instead of just 1. He might take it or he might not, but at least you offered.

Don't worry. Your snake looks like he's healthy!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  06:31:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linerbabe, I can only echo what others have said, there's some good advice there.

Welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

Laura
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  10:16:55  Show Profile
I have a fluroescent tube in mine as well. I was told by 2 reptile shops to have one in to help her digest her food. I think the vet also said to have one. Should I take it out? Can you get natural light tubes instead?
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:59:53  Show Profile
The royal is a nocturnal snake and does not get any vitamins or nutrients from a flourescent bulb. They are there purely for decorational purposes for those that DO have them in the viv.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  15:17:50  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
there will be little to no heat coming off those bulbs so there is no benifit for the snake.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000