Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  11:13:56  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
ok i might by a selection today then and try them tonight

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  11:19:58  Show Profile
good luck mate...let us know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  11:21:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good luck Danny. I would leave it to defrost all day on top or next to the viv so that the scent slowly works its way into them. Then, when defrosted and quite late (22:00+) give it a blast for a minute or so with a hairdrier to heat, paying particular attention to the head. Also, as Daz says, you can brain it to increase the scent, just slip the tip of a sharp knife into its skull.

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  11:58:04  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
ok cheers fellas i will keep ya posted and sort some pics out aswell

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:14:57  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
Right have some good ish news on the feeding my lemon pastel had 1 defrosted rat pup but would not strike at it at all so left her in the dark with it and she took it but would not eat anything else but 1 is better than none.Also the Albino would not eat a thing to busy looking around so left her in the dark aswell and did not even look at it so she still aint eaten.When should i try the albino again or should i make her wait till her next feed???

Cheers Danny

P.S Is there an easyer way to put pics on here

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
A few missed feeds won't hurt a royal and if you think about it- the hungrier the royal is, the more likely it will be to take a defrost. It's like us- I normally won't eat a dirty McDonalds if I had the choice, but leave me at work all day with no lunch and a Big Mac looks a lot more appetising.

I would wait at least a few more days before trying again.

Plus braining does usually work. Evra is a lot more likely to eat something if it's bleeding

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Just remembered this pic I once found on another live feeding thread:

Best change them over as soon as you can really, just to be on the safe side.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:33:45  Show Profile
1 is better than nothing danny

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  22:00:10  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
ok fellas i see your piont well going by tonight im hopeing it will easy to do the switch fingers crossed

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Danny, that's great news.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:03:40  Show Profile
congrats mate...

when i got my 06 she hadnt fed in 12 weeks and was still healthy. so i really wouldnt worry about a few missed feeds.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
well done,wont be long before both are eating defosted

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

terryempson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  12:29:05  Show Profile
have you tryed holding defrost infront if light bulb to warm it up just before you feed it to your snake as one of his senses is body heat
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  19:01:08  Show Profile
I'm the American here... and yes, I feed live. A lot of people who don't have a gazillion snakes do for practical reasons. My royals (hah, it didn't take me long to start saying royals instead of balls, I like royals better!) were fed live by the people that I bought them from and one of them is really finicky (didn't eat when humidity dropped) so I didn't even consider switching them. I feed them African Soft-Furred rats (their native prey item) which I grow myself. I have an ASF rat that produces an average of 12 rats per month who supplies food for our 3 snakes. It is working out well for me since the ASF can't outgrow the royals and with a finicky eater, I can just put the rat back in with his friends if the snake won't take him. Thing to note though, is we put the snakes in a separate feeding tank to feed and watch the tank until the rat is good and coiled. Usually takes under a minute. If it takes too long then the snake is not interested in eating. We can't leave the tank to get something to drink or go to the bathroom or anything because it only takes a few seconds for the rat to bite back and cause injury. I can show you a picture of an incident in Michigan where the store owner left a live rat with the snake overnight and caused a lot of damage. Caused an outrage over here...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  19:46:01  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
nice to see an american perspective on things anatess

general husbandry seems quite different, humidity isn't much of a problem over here, but heating is. live feeding is generally frowned upon and avoided but it's nice to hear from somebody who has actual experience.

DannyAction1 - i defrost prey items in a plastic tub on a radiator in the room the vivs are in, then place the tub over a mug of boiled water with just the head on the bottom of the tub to really get it up to temperature. when i don't do the last heat-heating bit i've had feed refusals with the boa and the Royal - it works for me so it's probably worth a try

BTW, i obviously have dedicated-rodent-heating plastic tubs and mugs so I don't upset the OH!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  20:05:53  Show Profile
Do a lot of americans live feed?

Wot are the live feeding laws over there?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  20:25:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, its common practice over there.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

I can show you a picture of an incident in Michigan where the store owner left a live rat with the snake overnight and caused a lot of damage. Caused an outrage over here...

Like Kaz's pic on the previous page?

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:21:33  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
pringle our newest royal was ment to have been brought up on live food but we got him straight onto defrosted no probs

1.0.0 western hognose 1.1.0 royals 2.1.0 corn snake
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  08:37:30  Show Profile
ohh... the pic i'm talking about is waaaaayyy worse than that one. that's why i didn't immediately post a link. it is quite disturbing. the good news is the snake lived through it and is now recuperating splendidly.

yeah, live feeding is no big deal over here. there are no laws against it, although there are a lot of laws (different for each state) about keeping snakes as pets. for example, in florida, you can own a ball python but if you want a burmese python (or any snake over 8 feet), you have to go through certification.

the big breeders like bhb reptiles and 8ballpythons promote frozen/thawed though so lots and lots of keepers use f/t. and, it is not easy to raise a bunch of rats and they are not always available at the regular pet stores. ASF rats are illegal in some states like georgia. ball python owners who breed their own food prefer ASFs because they don't stink like rats/mice do and they are perfectly sized.

and, of course, opportunistic snakes like hognoses are fed f/t or prekilled. we have a hognose too so we have a home-made co2 chamber for its food. hognoses find dead stuff in its natural habitat to eat. i guess the main thought is, whatever they do in the wild, some americans try to duplicate in captivity as much as possible.

but, i will guarantee you that the majority of reptile keepers frown upon all these feeding videos you see on youtube that shows complete disrespect for the prey! they're usually shot with heavy metal going on in the background with a lot of sniggering and whoops during the action. i hate those things!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly