Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  08:41:07  Show Profile
P.S. I guess humidity is not as big an issue over in the UK from what I understand, it is constantly humid over there. But then, forgive me, I don't know what I'm talking about since I've never been to Europe. Hah! One of these days, I'm gonna save up enough money to go on a vacation to see the prince and his royal guards.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Paulie B
Snake Mite

Ireland
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  15:21:32  Show Profile
I am new to the snake world and cannot offer experienced advise however, from what I have read and been told by owners you should try and keep your royals on frozen thawed. The longer you leave it though the less likely your chances are of suceeding. Have you tried to heat the thawed prey item? you can do this with a hair dryer however, I just put the frozen mouse into a deli tub and let it defrost on the radiator. That way when you dangle the prey to the snake it is still warm. You could then try "braining" the prey item. I have not needed to try this but again, it is worth a shot. If they dont take the warm mosue from the tweezers leave it on a log or something in her viv and see if she sniffs it out herself.

Good luck and keep us posted on developments

Snakes:
0.1.1 Carolina Corn's
0.1.0 Royal Python
0.1.0 Hogg Dwarf Boa

Tarantula's:
0.1.0 G.Rosea 0.1.0 B.Smithi 0.1.0 A.Seemanni 0.1.0 A.Avicularia 0.1.0 A.Versicolour 0.1.0 H.Vietnam sp 1.1.0 H.Lividium 0.2.0 P.Murinus 0.0.1 B.Vagans 0.0.1 L.Parahybana 1.0.0 S.Rubronitens 0.0.1 A.Bicoloratum 0.1.0 N.Chromatus 0.1.0 B.Klaasi 0.0.1 B.Albopilosa 0.1.0 C.Crawshayi 0.2.1 P.Scrofa 0.1.0 E.Pachypus 0.0.1 P.Regalis 0.1.0 T.Blondi 0.1.0 S.Javenisis 0.0.1 E.Campestratus 0.0.1 H.Gigas 1.0.0 I.Hirsutum 0.1.0 P.Cambridgei 0.0.1 C.Cyaneopubescens 0.1.0 H. Villosetta
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  20:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

One of these days, I'm gonna save up enough money to go on a vacation to see the prince and his royal guards.

i'd save your money, those kinda royals are really over-rated!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  22:42:52  Show Profile
over-rated, what???? nooooo!!! I still have hope I'm gonna marry that prince and live happily ever after in a kingdom far far away. Oh right, I'm married already. Whooops. Guess, I'll have to just stick with the slithering royals. So yeah, go on a vacation to the UK to meet british royal pythons. Ok.

on the US forum - something riling them up there right now. some idiot fed a burmese python a rat and then a chicken. live. normally it wouldn't cause an outrage but they fed the live chicken into the mouth of the burm while the rat's tail was still out so the python thinks it's only one prey and didn't think to constrict the chicken first. this is such a stupid way to feed snakes - first of all that chicken has a beak that would be injurous to the snake... and it would be pecking from the inside! second of all, there is just no reason for the chick to suffer like that! grrrr.... so yeah, feeding live in the US is no big deal, but we are pretty specific on how it should be done.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  16:31:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

on the US forum - something riling them up there right now. some idiot fed a burmese python a rat and then a chicken. live. normally it wouldn't cause an outrage but they fed the live chicken into the mouth of the burm while the rat's tail was still out so the python thinks it's only one prey and didn't think to constrict the chicken first. this is such a stupid way to feed snakes - first of all that chicken has a beak that would be injurous to the snake... and it would be pecking from the inside! second of all, there is just no reason for the chick to suffer like that! grrrr.... so yeah, feeding live in the US is no big deal, but we are pretty specific on how it should be done.

I've seen that video a few times, the fact that live feeding isnt frowned upon as much in the USA makes things like that more likly to happen.

However I am aware that the majority of keepers that live feed take good precautions when doing so.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  16:37:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'd be quite happy to live feed (if I needed to), would rather that than force feeding.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000