Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why should i rehome it? its just a learning curve i need to get round.
does this all sound normal? if it does il let it run till sunday like i been told. and like i said, i just topped the water up quick and used just a finger to hold it in so minimal contact.
and its still there so i havnt broke the rules.
i was concerned about its aggressiveness, is this normal?
im not stressing, just mearly making comments. if it was stressing me id give up and let someone take it that knows. but how can the number of snake keepers in the uk rise if we all give up strait away. im just asking questions as i have no knowledge with this and some on here seem to have been through all this.
but thanks
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:27:17  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bpluv

why should i rehome it?

why?
because you've obviously not reasearched your new pet
you're struggling to deal with it and any advice you're given
and because an animals life is potentially at stake here!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. so am i not listening and asking constructive questions?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:29:39  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

i was concerned about its aggressiveness, is this normal?

no generally a WELL TREATED royal is the most placid snake you could ever own.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:29:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It will get better Neil, just keep listening to the advice.

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im listening to the advise, but im having to add bits that iv read about but you guys dont agree with, so i did research, just in the wrong place.
and what i was saying is my snake has been soo friendly since iv had it, now its been locked away its getting aggressive.
so please read my post properly then comment so not to be confused.
im follwing the bits of advise you are giving, problom is when i ask questions im not getting replys to them all.
i know you guys dont know everything but all im asking is does all this seem normal, as my snake has been fine and now it seems anxious and aggressive.
and thats from following the advise on the rub to a T. so how am i struggling?

i dont mean to sound rude or anything but im following the advise im being given. and things dont seem to be improving. i even asked if i should check the water, and thanks for the reply, but i still didnt get a reply as to when, so i did it when there was just enough light coming in to see. so not to disturb it if it was hiding.
gimme some slack im trying here.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:48:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Neil, I personally would advise to change the water every other day. If your snake is becoming active at night, that's a good sign. If you change the water during the day your snake will be more asleep and you should be able to change it more easily.

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  22:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, thats great, il do just that.
i did ask about that earlier in the tread and said id check wensday and no one said much so i took it as it was fine, but that does sound normal what you suggest.
i just didnt want to disturb it to much so it could get settled.
so il do it again friday, then sunday will be the 7 days so thatll be time to try a feed. which im presuming i should do in the rub as suggested above?

thanks very much
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  23:07:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would, offer the feed before changing the water on Sunday though.

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  23:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea, il remove the water to make abit more room. do royals have a favorite feeding time, like really late or tea time etc
and if it feeds should i leave it in the rub, covered up still or could i put it back in its viv.
or how long should i leave it covered up. so i know what im doing when it comes.

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  06:49:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would try and feed when it starts to get dark out, so probably 21:00-22:00 at the moment. Don't take the water bowl out when you are going to feed, you want to disturb them as little as possible.

Where is the RUB now?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  07:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think you should try and find someone to get him feeding,

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  08:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with BE...try at dusk. If he takes it just cover the RUB back up. I would not think of moving him back it to the viv til he is alot bigger...

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  11:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, il do that be, thanks daz. ws, did you get everything right first time? or was it done for you? il follow the advise given. will it need to stay in the rub covered up till its bigger? do they not need any light atall? could i get away with covering it with a cardbord box instead of the towel? its in my tank at the momnt as thats where the heatmats are, but im going to unstick them carefully so i got better access and a bit more out the way. thanks again, i appreiciate your paitants.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  11:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok, il do that be, thanks daz. ws, did you get everything right first time? or was it done for you? il follow the advise given. will it need to stay in the rub covered up till its bigger? do they not need any light atall? could i get away with covering it with a cardbord box instead of the towel? its in my tank at the momnt as thats where the heatmats are, but im going to unstick them carefully so i got better access and a bit more out the way. thanks again, i appreiciate your paitants.

FWIW i never had that problem till i took on this girl here who has been messed around before i got her, she is feeding now, yes on live but she is feeding..

I have a sneaky felling that once you open your snake up to feed it it will do what it did yesterday, and i would be more inclined to go with a daytime feed, simply because that happened to me with Kaz on a night feed, so i switched her to daytime, let her know i was around by talking to her..took her hide off...bit different cos i am live feeding, but i did exactly the same when she took one defrost from me.

I am soon going to be switching her ( fingers crossed ) to fresh killed in an effort to get her onto defrost...

anyway, thats my input..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

bpluv
Yearling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  13:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see now theres my predicament. i keep getting different opinions. so who is right and who is wrong? if i try in the day and it dont want it, then its another 7 days to try at night. my thoughts are night time for feeding and daytime for changing water. but am i right. but also as all snakes are different i could have a uniqe personality that is different to the rest. anything is possible isnt it? and should it stay covered after sunday? thank you. neil.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  13:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

see now theres my predicament. i keep getting different opinions. so who is right and who is wrong? if i try in the day and it dont want it, then its another 7 days to try at night. my thoughts are night time for feeding and daytime for changing water. but am i right. but also as all snakes are different i could have a uniqe personality that is different to the rest. anything is possible isnt it? and should it stay covered after sunday? thank you. neil.

i think it is going to have to be your choice...if it refuses then i would only go five days not seven, the seven this time was to allow for the change in its home, i might also be inclined to find it a small hide so it does not get scared and see you the minute you open the lid..

as for keeping it covered yes i would till it has taken 3 feeds...

I have Kaz slightly open now, but not fully, by that i mean she can see out of the back of her rub now..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  14:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil. With mine I change her water when I get home from work and usually feed her after 9pm when she's starting to wake up. I've never had problems with her feeding though, so I'm not experienced with difficult feeders. As long as you're *not* using live food, if he doesn't seem to want the food I'd cover him back up and leave it in there until morning. You may find that if he's left alone with the food when it's dark and quiet he may eat it. Check in the morning and if it's still there throw it away and try again after 7 days.

I know what you mean about conflicting advice

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  16:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is always lots of advice and different opinions available, wot you have to do is find wot works for you and your snake.

As for the feed i would offer then if he doesnt take it leave it in there overnite...

As for the covering up...you are only doing this as a tempoary measure just to get the royal feeding. Once it is feeding you can reduce the time when its covered...

Edited by - dazb on 18/06/2009 16:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  18:33:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Daz, if it feeds I would probably uncover it (leave it in the RUB as its opaque anyway), but wouldn't handle until its had 3 consecutive feeds. Also, in nature they tend to eat at dusk or dawn, so would go this way myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000