Page: of 8

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave 68

today i had my 3 boa's in the garden enjoying the sun and surroundings. people should keep their opinions to themselves. if you want to let your royal lie there for 4 months then fine. i feel sorry for it the fact it is couped up all the time. if you are not going handle or interact with your pets,then why bother having them.talking to a guy who has been in the business for 15+ years the first thing he asked about was constipation when ibd was ruled out. shirley has gone,lets remember that. it is a tragedy. and to criticise a set up without actually seeing it is a joke. you could carry out as many tests as you want and still not find the cause. thanks for all your words of wisdom???.....

Maybe it would be a good idea if you brought a book on royals..and read up on them or read some good care sheets...then you will not jump on us for trying to help you.

nobody is criticising your set up we were just trying to assist and maybe IF there was a problem help prevent anything else going wrong...

ibd cannot be ruled out, it can only be determined by a post mortem, and a post mortem probably would let you know what it was, but it is to late now for one anyway..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also how can we critisise a set up we have never seen... or actually heard much about?
though toothfairy has just made a fair point in the previous post....
edit again... well toothfairy DID make a fair point.... but the post has gone... hold on.... i am confused, it was a genuinely fair point, and worth a friendly debate

Edited by - MissCat on 24/06/2009 19:37:00
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do agree that royals and snakes have feelings though...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:41:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave 68

people should keep their opinions to themselves. if you want to let your royal lie there for 4 months then fine. i feel sorry for it the fact it is couped up all the time.

can i just point out that i do interact with all my snakes and didnt say that i dont,i handle him once a week but he just dont roam around and i would'nt say he's "couped up" when he has a 3' well furnished viv and it's his choice to stay in his hide or should i drag him out every day to "play" with him and cause him undue stress or should i just rehome him and get a puppy to play with.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where has my long post gone?
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toothfairy

that's my point, where as i may disagree with some of the things you have said (personal perogative though) i feel you did make a fair point. it's something that i thought would make an interesting (though hopefully not heated) debate.
i think we are all still learning, no matter how long we may or may not have had experience with snakes for.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

quote:

that's my point, where as i may disagree with some of the things you have said (personal perogative though) i feel you did make a fair point. it's something that i thought would make an interesting (though hopefully not heated) debate.
i think we are all still learning, no matter how long we may or may not have had experience with snakes for.

and snakes do have feelings...

aggression is a feeling and so is being placid...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  19:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At risk of having my post deleted....
this is what the care sheet says:
"Royal Pythons are very inquisitive animals and like to explore new surroundings. Once in a while change the layout of the vivarium; this will keep your Royal from becoming bored. You will notice once you put your snake back in the tank it will start to re-explore its new surroundings."
Given the previous comments about how generally we say that a content royal is one who doesnt really spend much time out and about (correct me if i have that wrong)...
Do you feel this warrants an Adult discussion?
by adult i mean mature btw... not 18+ (LOL)

Edited by - MissCat on 24/06/2009 20:01:05
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat the only time my royals are out is when they are hungry and other than that they like hanging out in trees...lol..

they have freedom of choice if they want to come out or not, i dont make mine stay in any hides for four months...it is up to them,

and yes i get them out, probably twice a week, once to check them over and make sure they are ok and also to let them have a good roam and stretch there muscles..

but they are not locked away unable to come out, they chose where they want to be, not me...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes but do you do what the caresheet does? do you change the viv around so they wont get bored?
I am with you all the way, Ra can chose to do whatever he wants to do, but the care sheet implies that they are active snakes who like to explore.
now if i change the viv around, or get Ra out of the viv, yes he does explore, for all of about 5 minutes, then he hides away (in a hide in his viv, or up my sleeve if he is out) is this part of the caresheet that needs modifying or expanding on?
sorry if my points sound petty or like i am picking a fight, i am not, i promise, but it comes across as a bit contradictory if you look at it from the op's point of view.

Edited by - MissCat on 24/06/2009 20:12:34
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:12:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its only natural for them to hide away for most of their time, not something to be worried about.

I know some people who don't handle their's at all as they like to observe them as naturally as possible.

And comparing it to a dog, why not compare it to a fish, would you get one of those out all the time? - Most of the Carp family can easily spend several minutes (some hours) out of water.

Sometimes a Royal just isn't the right pet for everyone.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

yes but do you do what the caresheet does? do you change the viv around so they wont get bored?
I am with you all the way, Ra can chose to do whatever he wants to do, but the care sheet implies that they are active snakes who like to explore.
now if i change the viv around, or get Ra out of the viv, yes he does explore, for all of about 5 minutes, then he hides away (in a hide in his viv, or up my sleeve if he is out) is this part of the caresheet that needs modifying or expanding on?
sorry if my points sound petty or like i am picking a fight, i am not, i promise, but it comes accross as a bit contradictory if you look at it from the op's point of view.

I do change his viv around everytime i give him a good clean out, sometimes sooner depending on how much he has wrecked it..lol..

and yes he will explore, but not for long then off he goes back to his hide where he is happy, if he was not happy, he would not go in there..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:13:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to forum members for my little rant back there,this is a freindly forum and would like to keep it that way but i do stand by what i said,just didnt expect to get jumped on for 1 comment about leaving my snake in peace and quite.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 24/06/2009 20:14:40
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

sorry to forum members for my little rant back there,this is a freindly forum and would like to keep it that way but i do stand by what i said,just didnt expect to jet jumped on for 1 comment about leaving my snake in peace and quite.

dont apologise LOL
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

sorry to forum members for my little rant back there,this is a freindly forum and would like to keep it that way but i do stand by what i said,just didnt expect to get jumped on for 1 comment about leaving my snake in peace and quite.

dont you like it then? being jumped on..lol..

your fine Lee;-)

and yes this is very friendly...if this post had been made on the dark side the op would have been lynched...

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 24/06/2009 20:17:13
Go to Top of Page

Toothfairy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look i would just like to say that our discussion has gotten a little heated. You are going to have all different kinds of personalities in all species of wildlife as you do with us human folk. I will say that i did get my back up slighty as i know my set up is correct, but as i have noticed with a few of the what you call them rooms/questions, it always seems to come down to the vivarium. Now correct me if i'm wrong but it does come acrosss as some people do criticise or is it that they try to steer the conversation to the one thing they think the now about and can comment on. The reason i haven't explained or described my viv is as with all beginners or people starting out with a new breed of snake, seek advice either from pet shops, care sheets or forums just like this one, so the problem i had wasn't to do with the viv do you see my point? Now i will just add that i love all my pets to bits snakes, dog, cats and rabbit and want none of them to come to any harm. I thank you all for your advice you have given and i thank MissCat for raising my point again which got deleted.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:21:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Lee, you were entitled to reply

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

look i would just like to say that our discussion has gotten a little heated. You are going to have all different kinds of personalities in all species of wildlife as you do with us human folk. I will say that i did get my back up slighty as i know my set up is correct, but as i have noticed with a few of the what you call them rooms/questions, it always seems to come down to the vivarium. Now correct me if i'm wrong but it does come acrosss as some people do criticise or is it that they try to steer the conversation to the one thing they think the now about and can comment on. The reason i haven't explained or described my viv is as with all beginners or people starting out with a new breed of snake, seek advice either from pet shops, care sheets or forums just like this one, so the problem i had wasn't to do with the viv do you see my point? Now i will just add that i love all my pets to bits snakes, dog, cats and rabbit and want none of them to come to any harm. I thank you all for your advice you have given and i thank MissCat for raising my point again which got deleted.

i dont think it got heated at all...

we love having peaceful discussions on here...

and your right everyone does things differently, but with royals there is generally a rule of thumb way in which to keep them...
so i suppose that makes us opinionated in a way...

but nobody was out to get you or anything like that, we just wanted to help..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

only think i would want to say really is that pet shops/people on forums/ friends who have kept snakes etc can all give out different advice, and sometimes not the best advice.
The only reason why i badger for set up info is that i personally took advice from people who i BELIEVED and TRUSTED to know what they were talking about, and the set up was COMPLETELY wrong, which very nearly resulted in the death of my snake. my fault of course for not researching properly, but you will be surpised how what seems right to you, a friend, the local pet shop, a book or a vet, can actually sometimes be wrong.
it's not a critism, we haven't seen your set up, i personally feel you are a bit worried we might all lynch you or something if you show a pic of it.
small problems can affect things.. like the snake eating....
hope that doesnt sound like i am being snappy..... sorry if it does.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree with you there Cat

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic